Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:45 PM

11 posts, read 92,833 times

Advertisements

Hi I just discovered your forum and would like to ask a question. My doctor put me on Topiramate to control my appetite. I need to lose a lot of weight and am out of control. I was anorexic/bulimic for a long time and have been cured of both for 5 years. I have no on/off switch and my doctor feels this medication will help me find one. Has anyone here tried this drug and had good results or bad results? Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 03:31 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,875 times
I take 100mg a day for headaches and have found that there is some decrease in my appetite. You will also notice that coke tastes really funny although after a few months I got used to this side effect or it went away. How many MG are you taking? It worries me that I am taking a drug that messes with my brain but I like the side effect of weight loss a bit maybe to much. Good luck with it but also do remember to excercise that is an amazing piece that I do remember to use

Old 01-31-2010, 03:55 PM

I'm suppose to start out taking 25mg at bedtime for a week and then increase it to 50mg. I'm trying to learn proper nutrition but I messed up my body with all the starvation and purging I did over the years. I just want to be normal like everyone else and know when I'm full and have had enough like normal people. When I was little my mother use to put food in my mouth and cover my nose to force me to swallow. I didn't fuss when I had a full stomach and a full stomach made me sleepy so I wouldn't bother her. I was a chubby kid until almost the end of high school when I learned about bulimia. I lost some weight but I really lost a lot of weight when I was in college and starved myself. I couldnt starve myself for long because I would want to eat but once I started to eat i couldnt stop and I did the purging again. It was a vicious cycle for a lot of years that did a number on my health both physcially and mentally. I ended up in a nut hospital after cutting myself up and taking an overdose that almost killed me. I stopped the starving and purging awhile ago but its so hard to be normal. I binge and tell myself I'm going to purge but I stop myself. Instead of a skinny screwed up woman I'm now a fat ugly screwed up woman. Thank you for your help. I hope it works for me too so I can eat normal and be a normal person like everyone else.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:56 PM

I understand your problem so many people were raised with that mentality and I find it one of my pet peeves. My mother certainly in no way went to the extent your mother did although she used to tell me to finish my dinner but it didn't work and she wonders what happened Truly the associated costs of obesity are much better than throwing out food. We live in a world where food is easy to get and clearly you would be better of by NOT eating your food...LOL! I think you might just also need to try and practice the art of trying to practice mindful eating and try to listen to your body, however, faint those signals are you are probably just totally tuning them out.

It is normal that you will start out on the smaller dose of the Topirmate and work up. Another side effect of this drug can be mental fogginess and hopefully by working the dosage up this will give your body time to adust. Good luck with it I think with the drug, excercise and mindful eating you are at least on the right track. Feel free to PM me if you want to

Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBIC2156 View Post
Hi I just discovered your forum and would like to ask a question. My doctor put me on Topiramate to control my appetite. I need to lose a lot of weight and am out of control. I was anorexic/bulimic for a long time and have been cured of both for 5 years. I have no on/off switch and my doctor feels this medication will help me find one. Has anyone here tried this drug and had good results or bad results? Thank you for your help.
Your doctor could go to jail for prescribing medication that is inconsistent with it's approved usage.

Topiramate is an anti-convulsant. There are a list of side-effects a mile long. You are crazy to take this stuff and crazy to go to this doctor. I'd turn his lame butt in to the AMA if I were you before he kills someone (maybe you).

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Your doctor could go to jail for prescribing medication that is inconsistent with it's approved usage.

Topiramate is an anti-convulsant. There are a list of side-effects a mile long. You are crazy to take this stuff and crazy to go to this doctor. I'd turn his lame butt in to the AMA if I were you before he kills someone (maybe you).

20yrsinBranson
Topamax is also approved for migraines. Topamax does have a huge list of possible side effects and they do bother me and so no more drugs for me but I just can't do migraines anymore. I have cut out most processed foods already. I know that Topamax is being looked at for a weight loss drug as well as for substance abuse. Anyway I still understand that drugs aren't always the answer though.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:05 PM

I noticed the list of side effects but my doctor told me if I break out in a rash then I'm to stop taking it. Since Ive stopped purging Ive gained about 150 lbs. If I told you all the physical damage I have done to myself from all the starving and purging you would be shocked. I dont think this drug could do me more harm than what I have already done to myself. I'm a slave to food like I have been all my life. My mothers only way to show affection was to stuff me. Then she would tease me on how chubby I was like it was my fault. I want to go out and do things without thinking about food all the time. I dont want to always think about what Im going to eat. I would like to be able to be busy doing other things and for once in my life not think about food. Tonight I take my first dose. Im foggy anyway so more foggy wont make much difference I appreciate everyones honesty.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBIC2156 View Post
I noticed the list of side effects but my doctor told me if I break out in a rash then I'm to stop taking it. Since Ive stopped purging Ive gained about 150 lbs. If I told you all the physical damage I have done to myself from all the starving and purging you would be shocked. I dont think this drug could do me more harm than what I have already done to myself. I'm a slave to food like I have been all my life. My mothers only way to show affection was to stuff me. Then she would tease me on how chubby I was like it was my fault. I want to go out and do things without thinking about food all the time. I dont want to always think about what Im going to eat. I would like to be able to be busy doing other things and for once in my life not think about food. Tonight I take my first dose. Im foggy anyway so more foggy wont make much difference I appreciate everyones honesty.
The rash would be if you are allergic to the medicine rather than a side effect. That is a good point as far as the benefits outweiging the risks at your point. Please let me know how you are doing on this. Weight loss and healthy eating is one of my personal topics

Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 PM

162 posts, read 305,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
There are MANY drugs that are used for treating conditions other than their original purpose. eg. wellbutrin is an antidepressant that is also used for smoking cessation. Thorazine, an antipsychotic, is used in ER's to treat migraines, as are several seizure meds. Tagamet, which treats stomach ulcers, is also an effective treatment for allergic reactions. If the drug is approved by the FDA then a doctor can prescribe it for anything they like.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:32 AM

My doctor told me that this drug was new for treating obesity. I have to be careful what drugs I take because I had my thyroid gland removed and I'm on a strong dosage of an anti-depressant. According to him this drug is suppose to agree with me. No serious side affects so far except some stomach cramps and a few of the squirts. I was told that would go away as my body got use to the new drug. I've been eating 3 meals a day but tonight I noticed I didn't want all of my dinner and only ate half. I wasn't feeling hungry plus I didn't particularly like what I made for dinner. I seriously lived on junk. I read it takes 30 days to become addicted to something and 30 days to become unaddicted. I hope I can stick it out for the 30 days eating healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss