Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
Unless it is digital, just put marks by the needle in wax pencil or other another removable method. It will still not be accurate, but you can see if he goes up or down.

Actually thats the problem. The weight fluxuades several pounds a day, up and down. That is not normal or accurate. He doesn't eat more then I am and my weight is dropping. I know this for sure because I make all the meals from scratch.
Even though his clothes fit looser and looser the scale is not dropping, but acting very confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 05:04 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Actually thats the problem. The weight fluxuades several pounds a day, up and down. That is not normal or accurate. He doesn't eat more then I am and my weight is dropping. I know this for sure because I make all the meals from scratch.
Even though his clothes fit looser and looser the scale is not dropping, but acting very confused.
Well, your scale might be broken...

Also, human's weight fluctuate a few pounds each day as you are inputting (and outputting) water and food. Those pounds could be just water retaining. Plus, it might be a good idea to weight yourself when you wake up (before you eat) and before you sleep, so your weight numbers are more consistent.

If worse comes to worse, you can always do it the old fashion way and go to the doctor's office to check his weight when he does a physical

Old 02-01-2010, 06:09 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,518 times
Unless the needle is visably sticking often, it's prob not the scale. However if it is old or cheap, it wouln't hurt to shop for a new one.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:13 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
But until he drops -- you could just show the decrease by measuring his waist. That should help with the motivation.
Good post, grannynancy!

Initial weight loss is a lot of water, so if he is eating more salt/sodium, a bit more will stay on him..... Have him sweat it out, but not in massive amounts all at once without replenishing.....don't want him to become dehydrated....

Also, if he is working out: muscles weigh more than fat, so a good way to tell is by the baggy clothes rather than the scale.

ALSO, is he taking any meds that might keep weight on him?

Keep it up and good luck to both of you!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:57 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Particularly for guys, if they are working out and losing fat, waist measurement is more indicitive of fat loss than weight anyway.

Good luck with this project!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 PM

so what you all are saying is basically, that even if the scale says capacity 300 pounds, you can weigh more then 300 and still get an accurate reading? Cool!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:06 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
so what you all are saying is basically, that even if the scale says capacity 300 pounds, you can weigh more then 300 and still get an accurate reading? Cool!
I am saying stick with what works best for you two---a healthy diet, a reduction in caloric intake, more exercise, plenty of water.......and forget about the scale for awhile.

If you do all the aforementioned, the scale will be lower the next time around for him.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I am saying stick with what works best for you two---a healthy diet, a reduction in caloric intake, more exercise, plenty of water.......and forget about the scale for awhile.

If you do all the aforementioned, the scale will be lower the next time around for him.
Thanks. And we are doing really well. We eat lean meats, lots and lots of green veggies like broccoli, celery,green pepper and califlower. Snacks is usually low-fat or reduced fat cheese or nuts.
We do not eat any more white pasta , potatoes, white bread or white rice.Today I actually made pasta for the first time i 5 weeks. Before then we ate it almost everyday! But today I made 7 grain-full wheat pasta with a home made meat sause made with 8%-fat-hamburger meat.
I make sure 50 % of our plates is made up by veggies and the rest is mostly protein. Sometimes I can add things such as rice, or pasta, but only full wheat.
I am in good shape, I think. My husband is in decent shape for being so overweight. He finds little time to work out but take 30 minutes every lunch break and goes for a brisk walk and he has so much more energy compared to a month ago. He used to weigh 190 pounds in the army and was in great shape, but a lot happened 10 years later.
Thanks fpr you support.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
If his clothes are looser then clearly he is moving in the right direction. Just take waist and chest measurements and you can measure his progress that way. Once he has to cinch in his belt a notch or two or shop for smaller clothes, he'll know he is doing what he needs to do.

Personally I doubt your scale is very accurate over its rated weight but most bathroom scales are pretty inaccurate anyway. I got lucky when I bought mine; it was on sale at Target and I got it just to make sure the number on it kept going down instead of up, but my weight at the doctor's office is maybe 3 lbs above what it is on my bathroom scale; and at the doctor's office, I've usually had breakfast by then and am wearing clothes as opposed to when I weigh myself at home at 6am in my underpants before eating.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
You need to get a special scale for higher weights like that. The everyday bathroom scale just won't be right. Even the doctor's good scales can be off if he does not have them serviced and reset. You should probably get yourself a new scale just for you. I know my s.o.'s use of my analog killed it when he was only 250 as he would stomp up on the thing and was close to scale limit.

It is normal for the body to flux up to 15 lbs when you are dieting and exercising. If he goes up on the scale just journal it and watch for patterns. I know in myself that I will always go up a few pounds right before a loss shows. And its happened MULTIPLE times. I asked my s.o. to watch his weight daily to see if his did that too. YEP. It did.

Another easy motivation is to just get a rope that does not stretch and cut it right at the length so that it makes a full circle around him. Then he can mark it with a sharpie when he shrinks. He may go up an inch or two before he has a loss too. If he exercises he WILL go up inches from the workout. It makes you swell up naturally.

I would not get a special scale for him. Part of his motivation could be just to be able to use a normal scale like a healthy person. I think that would register as reward in the brain too. It has to be so uncomfortable to know and see that it can't be done as it is right now. I know that would bother me. I would feel overwhelmed at what I had to do.

Digital pictures are GREAT motivation too. Take one a week but review them at the end of the month.
You can make it like a slide show if you have windows. To see yourself shrink is way cooler than some digits on the scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss