Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 06:40 AM

243 posts, read 1,206,961 times

Advertisements

For about 8 weeks I have been working out and I changed my diet. But over the past week, my body muscles are still in some sort of recovery pain 2-3 days later (After a workout) when it normally took a day. As I sit here now, my thigh muscles still hurt from the treadmill from Friday.

As far as food goes, we always eat whole grain, organic, natural, etc. Just too much. No artificial stuff like splenda, aspertaime, etc. Cut way back, dropped 15 pounds, Working out, building muscle, feeling great. Been following the LA Weight Loss plan as my wife did it 4 years ago and dropped 90 pounds. Seems to work for me.

Any ideas? I am thinking that I may be lacking some vitamin c, which I hear helps muscles flex and recover. I will admit I dont stretch as much, but no more or less than when I started.

Quick stats
Male, 34
Original 234 pounds, now 218.
Large muscular build
Usually worked out ever other day, gave it a day rest in between. Treadmill at 6-7 MPH average for 30-40 minutes. Occasional 1 minute spikes to 10 mph. Upper body/chest and arm work out for 15-20 minutes after treadmill and quick break.
Drinking about 1+ gallons of water/ a day.
Thanks!

Last edited by ShakyJ; 02-15-2010 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,795 times
Are you getting enough protein? Make sure to throw some soy, chicken, and fish into your diet. I always like to pound a whey protein/fruit shake after a hardcore workout.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:09 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Congrats on the loss! I know I felt re-alignment body pain for pounds lost. The s.o. felt this too with every 15-20 pounds he lost.

You are more muscular now than you were. You need to warm up properly and start stretching. To give you a visual example, think of how stiff lifters dudes move compared to a less muscular type person. Since you are more muscular it is important to warm up to avoid injury. It was in the first place too but it just did not get to you yet. If you don't warm up you can set yourself up for injury which will set you back.

Another thing you have to watch for is staying hydrated. Its easier to get dried out the leaner you are. So have some gatorade, smart water, pedialye or coconut water after your workouts and make sure you are drinking enough during the day.

Do you take a multivitamin?

Something that really helps me when I am just sore and don't want to take a pill: Review any antioxidant rich food list or "super food" list. Eat as many things as you can from those lists.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:12 PM

Good data so far, thanks!

I cannot imagine that I am pushing my body. if anything, I may be going to easy on it.
I use to take the multi vitamins, but have not lately. Not big on pills. Always drinking fluids. I LOVE water.

I am big on the follow foods. Not sure if what I am avoiding due to carb issues may be the right thing. Can I do something different instead of the pills?

Eggs
Chicken (Grilled )
Steak Tips (Grilled)
Broccoli
Asparagus
Brussel Sprouts
Peas
I get creative with spices, olive oil, and a WOK with the meats as well.

Other foods I love but I hesitate due to possible excessive carb/starch intake are..
Whole Grain Pasta ( I could eat bowls of this with olive oil and real Parm cheese)
Whole Grain or Home Made Wheat Bread
Red Potatoes
Beans

I do snack on oranges, carrots, apples. For a random snack, I will try a quaker bar or Kashi bar.

Am I missing out by eating only a little bit of these carbs? We are following the old LA Weight Loss plan and it worked well for us in the past. It severly restricts carbs. We dont eat artificial sweetners, enriched or bleached flour products, or anything that wont rot eventually. ( I heard that generally if it doesnt rot and go bad, dont eat it. My liquid intake is usually water, fresh brewed ice tea and hand squeezed lemon water ( some natural sugar for both )

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:41 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
If you workout complex carbs are really good. The low carb way of eating is more for people who can't be very active. Low or lower carb diets can make you more prone to dehydration too. That will make you sore and take more recovery time. Carbs also help you recover and sustain a workout. They do make liquid vitamins if you hate pills. I also look to foods that have been enriched like multivitamin orange juice (minute maid) or TOTAL cereals.

You may want to try the chocolate milk post workout fix. That and a couple bananas will help you heal.
The next recovery days have some lemonade (NO SUGAR, just lemon and stevia) or lemon water to help flush out the muscles.

Dead sea salt or epsom salt soaks are also nice.

But really as far as the carbs go, see where you at now carb wise and try to get at least 50% of your calories from carbs. Wean you way up to that if you are not close to it. You will get a few water weight rebound pounds.

If you are eating a way you are not going to stick to forever, the pounds will return. From what you describe though it sounds like you have a healthy level of carbs. Just count and make sure.

This calc is fun for comparing the carb level of different types of "diets":

Carb, Protein, Fat Calorie Calculator

I personally am naturally inclined to eat 40-60% carbs usually.
When I get down to 25% carb level or less. I tend to have a rebound pound reaction as soon as I increase carbs. It seems in my body that I should not drop below that 40% mark. Keep a journal to find what your body likes best.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 PM

So by eating complex carbs and being active, I can actually loose weight vs general carb reduction? I love the taste of anything whole grain, flax seed, real bread. To me this is good news.

Where is there a good detailed list of complex carbs that I can review? I think I need to reconsider my current dietary intake.

In general, I am more active than my wife. My goal is to build muscle and drop pounds, which hers is to just loose weight. So following the same exact diet doesnt seem to make sense. I am craving carbs. Kind of like when you crave mean, protein, etc. You can just feel it because you need it. I am craving carbs, but not always when hungry. I feel like I need some sort of energy. Tired? No.. just something missing.

thanks!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:58 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyJ View Post
For about 8 weeks I have been working out and I changed my diet. But over the past week, my body muscles are still in some sort of recovery pain 2-3 days later (After a workout) when it normally took a day. As I sit here now, my thigh muscles still hurt from the treadmill from Friday.

As far as food goes, we always eat whole grain, organic, natural, etc. Just too much. No artificial stuff like splenda, aspertaime, etc. Cut way back, dropped 15 pounds, Working out, building muscle, feeling great. Been following the LA Weight Loss plan as my wife did it 4 years ago and dropped 90 pounds. Seems to work for me.

Any ideas? I am thinking that I may be lacking some vitamin c, which I hear helps muscles flex and recover. I will admit I dont stretch as much, but no more or less than when I started.

Quick stats
Male, 34
Original 234 pounds, now 218.
Large muscular build
Usually worked out ever other day, gave it a day rest in between. Treadmill at 6-7 MPH average for 30-40 minutes. Occasional 1 minute spikes to 10 mph. Upper body/chest and arm work out for 15-20 minutes after treadmill and quick break.
Drinking about 1+ gallons of water/ a day.
Thanks!
As you get older, it takes longer for your body to recover. So at 25 you can't recover as fast as you did at 35 unless you use artificial means like steroids/HGH. And believe it or not, steroids are not bad at all; just get blood work done and use low doses.

Anyhow, not sure what kind of pain you are experiencing but it may not even be a nutritional issue. In other words, you need understand all the pillars that support muscle regeneration and cover them all; such as:

1. General Restoration- which is a non existent practice that Americans utilize unless they are open minded. (e.g. Epsom salt baths, hot cold contrast showers, REAL massage methods, none of that sex foreplay junk)

2. Nutrition- Basic high quality food along with a few additional basic muscle building supplements. (Protein, Amino Acids, vitamins.)

3. Lifestyle Issues- do you get enough sleep (you grow and repair yourself when you are sleep)? Do you party until 3am? Do you stress and worry a lot? Do you use street drugs? If so, these type of elements can slow down your body's ability to regenerate itself.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
They do make liquid vitamins if you hate pills.
I use intramuscular injections. It's TOTALLY different then taking it orally. My first heavy dose of B12 complex I felt a boost and a higher sense of well being. It was great.

It's also cheaper, I only paid 6 bucks for a 100ml bottle of injectable B12 vs 12-15 bucks for a bottle of b12 pills/liquid that, in addition to that, most will not be absorbed anyway.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Are you getting enough protein? Make sure to throw some soy, chicken, and fish into your diet. I always like to pound a whey protein/fruit shake after a hardcore workout.
Anything but soy...... god they make plastic from that stuff....

Old 02-17-2010, 08:34 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Anything but soy...... god they make plastic from that stuff....
Really? I have read in many sources that soy and soy milk have all of the necessary amino acids in order to offer complete proteins to the body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss