Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:47 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,183 times

Advertisements

Have you considered just keeping sugar for treats? I don't drink soda (haven't had any in 12 years) or any other sugared drink and on the average day I do not eat refined sugar. But, there are days where I have some chocolate milk, a small piece of chocolate, or some ice cream if its hot. But, I always make sure that its a once a week thing. The FDA says that we should ingest no more than 20 grams of sugar a day. The average American ingests 140 grams or more. I think I average out to about 5 grams a day.

I am a firm believer that the only way one can truly quit a destructive habit is if they really want to. You have to really want it. If you don't really want it then you're going to relapse. You just need the motivation to really want it. My motivation is seeing middle-aged and up people barely able to move because they filled their bodies with garbage and didn't exercise their whole lives. When I am 70 I'm going to be just as strong and healthy as I am now. I'm not going to be lying in a bed wasting away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:10 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
I do believe that it is as much a mental as a physical thing, but what I need is something to eat that gives me the comfort that sugar does without the negative consequences. Maybe such a thing doesn't exist.
Why do you need "comfort" from food?

Step 1 - Dont buy any of that junk to keep in the house.
Step 2 - Start exercising. Do you do ANY exercise?
Step 3 - Start eating almond butter and jelly sandwiches on whole wheat bread if you feel the urge for something sweet.

Its 100% mental because the body does not crave sugar. I think what you really need is a hobby.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Step 3 - Start eating almond butter and jelly sandwiches on whole wheat bread if you feel the urge for something sweet.
Ditto except for the jelly. I eat almond butter and honey sandwiches on whole wheat bread. That easily satisfies any sweet cravings I have.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:50 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
If it were that easy, I would have done it and stayed sugar free, but I have stopped many times with full faith that this was it, but it never worked out. I understand the science; I know the dangers--I already have hypoglycemia. I know that I could end up with diabetes, but fear of cancer didn't stop me smoking, when I used to smoke. None of this is logical.

I do believe that it is as much a mental as a physical thing, but what I need is something to eat that gives me the comfort that sugar does without the negative consequences. Maybe such a thing doesn't exist.
You're going to have to put some will power into it, and it's not going to be easy initially. Also, you don't have to cut it all out of your diet. Moderation is key, my friend! Instead of munching on sugary treats throughout the day, make it into a "special" thing that you enjoy. Make it part of your "you" time when you aren't stressed out (if you're stressed, you'll want it more) and have a small morsel of sugary goodness. That's what I do. I have chocolates in my desk, and I have one or two when I unwind (but not the whole box). It's definitely not going to kill you to enjoy a small morsel.

Part of the reason why people fail on "diets" is because they think they will never ever ever be able to have that "comfort food" again. That anxiety gets to them, and they want it more, and blah blah. What you should be doing is reaching for a lifestyle change that incorporates the foods you love (we're human after all... a big part of culture is enjoying good food with friends and family) MODERATELY while incorporating healthy foods as well. Basically, during most meals, you have whole grains, veggies, and lean meats. Then, on a weekend night with friends, don't be afraid of a night on the town with a meal and spirit you enjoy. Just don't do it everyday.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:53 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,540 times
Jelly has high fructose corn syrup in it. Its just as bad (if not worse) than sugar.
Another option to a peanutbutter sandwich is adding fresh fruit if you want a fruity taste with it.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:12 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,373 times
OP:

I hope you give my post some serious thought.....

Good luck and I hope things get better for you!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Eat something that's high in protein, if you can. I find fruit to be the most unsatisfying stuff on the planet! It just makes me want more.

Quote:
almond butter and jelly sandwiches on whole wheat bread if you feel the urge for something sweet.
Psst ... Jelly has sugar in it. Not a smart thing to eat if you're craving sweets.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 6,589 times
the way for me is to do sports, drink water and eat a lots of fruits or making smoothies without sugar.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 PM

415 posts, read 1,779,037 times
It's not the sugar you are after. It's the combination of FAT with sugar which has hooked you: namely, ice cream and candy bars.

Get your sugar from natural sources: melons are great. I love melons. Ripe bananas. Girls love bananas. Or some brown sugar with strawberries.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,827 times
Here is an excellent book on the subject Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings---And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss