Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitwishes View Post
I recently heard about several weight loss clinics using phentermine and vitamin B12 shots as a weight loss tool, I researched a bit about phentermine and the side effects and some of the reviews scare me so have any of you ever tried this? If so what was your experience/side effects/effectiveness?
There is another thread on this here. You might want to do a search. Anyway. I have used it twice. Once, when I had only 10 pounds to lose, it worked well. But when I had 40 pounds to lose it did not seem to work at all.

Phentermine gives you more energy and takes away the hunger. However, it affects your sleep patterns (makes it hard to go to sleep). It also makes me grind my teeth ALL THE TIME, and I find that when I am lying in bed, trying to go to sleep, it makes me have very disturbing thoughts about death that I would really rather not have.

As someone else is bound to say.....It is much better to learn how to eat well and right and lose weight without resorting to medications. Taking pills is the easy way and it works, but most likely, unless you CHANGE your eating habits, you will gain the weight back.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 09:23 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
It is in the same family as methamphetamine. Legal, but feels similar. You will feel energetic all the time. You will talk fast, sleep little, generally feel very happy. It is an "upper".

And then when you stop taking it, you will crash. And you will gain back ALL of the weight you lost, and more. Seriously, it is a TERRIBLE weight loss drug. There is no reliable clinical evidence that shows it works in the long run. And there are side effects too, like heart damage.

Find another way.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:02 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
Doc gave me Phentermine to see if it would help boost my weight loss (I was against it, but agreed to take it for only 2 weeks to prove her wrong).

I took the lowest dose possible and even that did weird things to me. Constantly needed to move, but not in a good way. Horrible insomnia for a few days, and just like I predicted, I didn't lose any weight. I'd never take it again. My insurance didn't even cover the 2 weeks.

The worst side effect was what it did to me mentally. I went completely NUTS when I was taking it. I have no idea what it did to me, but as soon as I stopped taking it, I was fine.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:59 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times
About 15 years ago I tried Phentermine. Did not like it. What is the purpose of taking it if you won't change your long term eating habits. Losing weight and eating right takes knowledge and much self control. Initially, you have to wean and cleanse your body from the junk in your system and replace it with foods that are healthy and fill you. Does fiber ring a bell? Exercise, do cardio - your energy will increase naturally. Can't take Phentermine forever and live a long, healthy life. It's only a short term band-aid, and most people eventually end up gaining all of their weight back once they go off of it. . because they do not learn self-control on their own.

Daily, I take a B-12 sublingual by Natures Bounty, only because I'm a vegetarian and I do not want my absorption of nutrients to be impaired or to run into a deficiency, due to the things I do not eat that have B-12 in them. Is it necessary for the average person under 50-55 y/o to have B-12? No, it's not. Our bodies naturally store years worth up until around that age range.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:25 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
My most recent experience with Phentermine was this... for those looking to take it. Keep in mind though each person will have different side effects and there are many you can have. I talked to my doc about it and he agreed to let me try it. I'm in good health but needed to lose weight., Some may say if I need to lose weight I can't be in good health but I am. I don't have any health issues at all. Anyway, The first time I took it, I took it for 2 weeks. Here are the side effects I had; a lot of trouble sleeping (at first), best to take it EARLY in the morning. Next, my legs were very restless and super itchy, this went away after a few days. I talked fast, felt good otherwise but everything was sped up. I was always thirsty, (you need to drink a ton of water) and the worst part for me was the constipation, so much so that after awhile, I took laxatives every four days just to have a bowel movement. The worst part for my b/f was the fact that according to him I was "mentally unstable", which I didn't realize how bad it was, I did feel like i was highly agitated though sometimes like anything could set me off.
I slowly took myself off (you can't stop cold turkey). Then after two weeks, I tried it again. The symptoms like the restless legs, itchy legs, sleeplessness had gone away but my b/f said I was still not right. So, I stayed on another two weeks and slowly went off. I will say the second time around I felt much better but coming off of it, there were at least two nights i literally could not sleep all night.

The plus side? I did indeed lose weight, it cuts ALL cravings and you just are not hungry. You eat only because you know you have to eat, not because you're hungry. Would I do it again? Yes, only because I do believe if you're otherwise healthy and just need a short term weight loss, that it's worth it. The price is also fair, a 30 day supply is $40. I would definitely do it again for a short period of time, and this time around, I think I'd really have to keep a check on my mental status with my b/f and try not to be so quick to temper / mood swings.. if that is at all possible.

Anyway, those who are considering it should take caution. This is a very serious medication with very serious side effects. Do your due diligence and research it, it does work but it does come with side effects. Other than the initial side effects, I felt good while on it. My b/f is the only one who said I was unstable on it, friends and kids didn't notice this side of it.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:57 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Works great, just make sure you drink a lot of water.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:20 PM
dxc

1 posts, read 8,122 times
I took phentermine and went from 168 pds in late 2009 to 109 pds by mid 2010.(i'm not really sure how many months it took. It seemed to have happened in a relatively short period). But now I'm back to 152 pds. I have not been successful in sustaining the weight loss, as this has been the 4th time. It's very discouraging to say the least. I'm now back on phen again, and I've said this will be the last time I will go through this. Once I get back down to 109 pds. this time, that's it. I will have to know how to maintain it. I figure if Greta Garbo did it I can do it.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxc View Post
I took phentermine and went from 168 pds in late 2009 to 109 pds by mid 2010.(i'm not really sure how many months it took. It seemed to have happened in a relatively short period). But now I'm back to 152 pds. I have not been successful in sustaining the weight loss, as this has been the 4th time. It's very discouraging to say the least. I'm now back on phen again, and I've said this will be the last time I will go through this. Once I get back down to 109 pds. this time, that's it. I will have to know how to maintain it. I figure if Greta Garbo did it I can do it.
Well you've heard the old saying - a sure sign of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Not saying that you're insane, but honestly - if you couldn't succeed before doing this, what makes you think it'll be any different now? Especially since it's 5 years later, you're 5 years older, and so is your body - which means it'll be MORE difficult to maintain now than it was when you were 5 years younger. And you couldn't do it then.

How tall are you? How old are you? Are you male or female? What does your primary care physician say? How are your nutrition levels? What kind of exercise do you do every day? What is your diet like?

THOSE things are more important to your physical health, weight, and fitness, than any pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss