Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

I want to loose around 15 pounds before June 15th! Is that possible? What is realistic. I have a gym where I live and I work out one hour cardio everyday and the days I can't work out at the gym I go for brisk 45 minute walks on my lunch break. I currently on a high protein, low fat diet and I only eat the good carbs.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 05-10-2010 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:37 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
It's simple really! You can lose 15lbs by the end of the month. Keep exercising and a suggestion for you - locate a Japanese Grocery Store in your area and buy a few 16oz bags of the (white/clear) Shirataki Noodles. They're 100% fiber, 0 cal, 0 fat, 0 carb, 0 sodium, 0 sugar. I eat them every day and I am never hungry. They are actually one of the best things you can eat for your health. You can look them up online and find plenty of info on them.

I let them sit and soak in low fat/low sodium chicken broth overnight (they come in a water package, rise in a strainer well and cut them, the stands are long - and they have a rubbery taste. I soften them for a less rubbery texture - you can also boil them for 5-10 mins if it bothers you), the next day, I often make them into a stir fry with onions, green/yellow/red bell peppers, water chestnuts, mushrooms and fresh garlic. Sometimes I will cut up 1 Veggie Patty and toss it into it - and will sometimes add a couple wedges of Laughing Cow Cheese or 1/4 cup of low fat cheddar cheese. Use Sea Salt - toss the regular salt in the garbage. I have other great recipes for them, as well. The noodles absorb the flavors of what you cook them with - they are like a sponge. The weight will fall off of you (as long as you are not mixing them with a bunch of unhealthy garbage) and you will not be hungry. Even if you do get hungry, you can eat them - GUILT FREE. They swell up in your stomach about 2x it's size, so you do not have to eat a bunch of it. They fill you up fast. Just a warning.

There is a new hype about Shirataki Noodles, they are being called the "miracle noodle." No miracle about them - they have been around for 1500 years. Eating Shirataki is incorporated into my every day life to maintain my weight. Do not fall into the trap online and buy a 7oz bag for $3 (with a $10+ shipping cost) when you can buy a 16oz bag at a Japanese Grocery Store for $2. I order mine by the box at mine.

I have a rule for myself when I go to a regular chain grocery store, I shop the outer areas around the aisles. The majority of products in the aisles are generally processed, chemical-packed garbage.

Good luck with your goal!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
It's simple really! You can lose 15lbs by the end of the month. Keep exercising and a suggestion for you - locate a Japanese Grocery Store in your area and buy a few 16oz bags of the (white/clear) Shirataki Noodles. They're 100% fiber, 0 cal, 0 fat, 0 carb, 0 sodium, 0 sugar. I eat them every day and I am never hungry. They are actually one of the best things you can eat for your health. You can look them up online and find plenty of info on them.

I let them sit and soak in low fat/low sodium chicken broth overnight (they come in a water package, rise in a strainer well and cut them, the stands are long - and they have a rubbery taste. I soften them for a less rubbery texture - you can also boil them for 5-10 mins if it bothers you), the next day, I often make them into a stir fry with onions, green/yellow/red bell peppers, water chestnuts, mushrooms and fresh garlic. Sometimes I will cut up 1 Veggie Patty and toss it into it - and will sometimes add a couple wedges of Laughing Cow Cheese or 1/4 cup of low fat cheddar cheese. Use Sea Salt - toss the regular salt in the garbage. I have other great recipes for them, as well. The noodles absorb the flavors of what you cook them with - they are like a sponge. The weight will fall off of you (as long as you are not mixing them with a bunch of unhealthy garbage) and you will not be hungry. Even if you do get hungry, you can eat them - GUILT FREE. They swell up in your stomach about 2x it's size, so you do not have to eat a bunch of it. They fill you up fast. Just a warning.

There is a new hype about Shirataki Noodles, they are being called the "miracle noodle." No miracle about them - they have been around for 1500 years. Eating Shirataki is incorporated into my every day life to maintain my weight. Do not fall into the trap online and buy a 7oz bag for $3 (with a $10+ shipping cost) when you can buy a 16oz bag at a Japanese Grocery Store for $2. I order mine by the box at mine.

I have a rule for myself when I go to a regular chain grocery store, I shop the outer areas around the aisles. The majority of products in the aisles are generally processed, chemical-packed garbage.

Good luck with your goal!
Thank you!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I want to loose around 15 pounds before June 15th! Is that possible? What is realistic. I have a gym where I live and I work out one hour cardio everyday and the days I can't work out at the gym I go for brisk 45 minute walks on my lunch break. I currently on a high protein, low fat diet and I only eat the good carbs.
It depends. Do you have 15 lbs to lose? Are you already in good shape? If you have 50 lbs to lose, then losing 15 lbs in a month isn't that crazy. If you are 15 lbs from your ideal weight, then losing 15 lbs in a month is tough. Most normal sized adults could "lose" 15lbs of waterweight in a week if they really want to, ask any wrestler. However, it will come back. Losing 15 lbs of fat is another story.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:10 PM

15 pounds of water weight in a week. Perhaps if someone is 400lbs+ and very dedicated - and even then, it will be around 11lbs the first week. I know you are not talking about the average overweight individual there. Even those who water fast and/or juice fast, plus exercise - do not lose 15lbs in a week unless they are jacked up on something that is no good and working that elliptical and treadmill like their life depends on it - and sucking down water as if it's going to become extinct. Muscle burns fat.

A normal sized adult - you are actually comparing to - - - Hulk Hogan?

There you go, OP, forget what anyone tells you. Just go find someone to wrestle with for a few hours this week.

(And yes, you can lose 15lbs of actual body fat plus your water weight in one month)

I've done it.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
15 pounds of water weight in a week. Perhaps if someone is 400lbs+ and very dedicated - and even then, it will be around 11lbs the first week. I know you are not talking about the average overweight individual there. Even those who water fast and/or juice fast, plus exercise - do not lose 15lbs in a week unless they are jacked up on something that is no good and working that elliptical and treadmill like their life depends on it - and sucking down water as if it's going to become extinct. Muscle burns fat.

A normal sized adult - you are actually comparing to - - - Hulk Hogan?

There you go, OP, forget what anyone tells you. Just go find someone to wrestle with for a few hours this week.

(And yes, you can lose 15lbs of actual body fat plus your water weight in one month)

I've done it.
I am only 5'6. I weigh 165 right now. I am in pretty good shape considered that. I can jog in a normal pace (4.5m/hr ) for 45 minutes without problem. I can stay on a elliptical machine for an hour easily.

At the peak of my best shape ever I weighted 142 and I actually felt great at that weight. I wore a solid size 6 in clothes. But I was working out every day for 2 hours. But things changed. I had a baby, marriage, and I gained 30 pounds after that.
I have lost a few pounds in the last couple of weeks
Right now I think 150 pounds is a good goal for me. Easier to maintain and I would still feel "skinny", compared to know.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:10 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
I love those Japanese noodles too. I don't know if loosing 15 lbs in a month is realistic, but you can certainly make a dent in it.

I use those noodles in stir fries too. But I also like them with red clam sauce, in place of angle hair pasta, in vegetarian casseroles, etc. They are NOT as good as "the real thing" (white flour noodles), but they are guilt free, filling and versatile.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I am only 5'6. I weigh 165 right now. I am in pretty good shape considered that. I can jog in a normal pace (4.5m/hr ) for 45 minutes without problem. I can stay on a elliptical machine for an hour easily.

At the peak of my best shape ever I weighted 142 and I actually felt great at that weight. I wore a solid size 6 in clothes. But I was working out every day for 2 hours. But things changed. I had a baby, marriage, and I gained 30 pounds after that.
I have lost a few pounds in the last couple of weeks
Right now I think 150 pounds is a good goal for me. Easier to maintain and I would still feel "skinny", compared to know.
35 minutes on my elliptical (doing interval training) kicks my butt BAD, an hour for you - you go girl!! A month ago, I started going from my elliptical to my treadmill (switching off) with the interval training after I read South Beach Diet's Supercharged - and it's working! I am seeing better results with the burning and toning process than I had before. My body had hit a major plateau. Recently I incorporated doing laps in the pool to throw a mix into it (for boredom sake, basically). On Saturdays, I only do the 1st DVD of Carmen Electra's Aerobic Striptease (it's really fun and I enjoy the exercises - minus cussing Carmen under my breath because her body is practically flawless). Sunday I take the day off.

I went shopping for a new bikini the other day - holy MOLEY - where are the BOTTOMS on these things lately??? They got SMALLER (and lower) from last year! I thought America was getting fatter?! LOL - They are like little maple leaves and gum wrappers now! My BMI is at 23. To get the cutest suit I want, I am going to have to get down to probably a 20 BMI---the bottom healthy BMI range for my height is 19. Or I'm going to have to stick with my old one.

I bought a new sit up bench yesterday.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
35 minutes on my elliptical (doing interval training) kicks my butt BAD, an hour for you - you go girl!! A month ago, I started going from my elliptical to my treadmill (switching off) with the interval training after I read South Beach Diet's Supercharged - and it's working! I am seeing better results with the burning and toning process than I had before. My body had hit a major plateau. Recently I incorporated doing laps in the pool to throw a mix into it (for boredom sake, basically). On Saturdays, I only do the 1st DVD of Carmen Electra's Aerobic Striptease (it's really fun and I enjoy the exercises - minus cussing Carmen under my breath because her body is practically flawless). Sunday I take the day off.

I went shopping for a new bikini the other day - holy MOLEY - where are the BOTTOMS on these things lately??? They got SMALLER (and lower) from last year! I thought America was getting fatter?! LOL - They are like little maple leaves and gum wrappers now! My BMI is at 23. To get the cutest suit I want, I am going to have to get down to probably a 20 BMI---the bottom healthy BMI range for my height is 19. Or I'm going to have to stick with my old one.

I bought a new sit up bench yesterday.
A BMI of 23 is good. And 20 is pretty low. I have never been that low in my adult life. What size are you. You must be a 6 or smaller?

Old 05-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
A BMI of 23 is good. And 20 is pretty low. I have never been that low in my adult life. What size are you. You must be a 6 or smaller?
I'm just shy of 5'8. I wear a 7/8 now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss