Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 07:59 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
So in order to lower cholesterol, you would advise eating bacon fried in oil for breakfast rather than steel-cut oats. Do I have your position correct?
No. I would advise eggs and bacon over muffins and bagels (and most boxed cereals). But bacon fried in oil sounds good, too.

And just so we're clear, refined and processed carbs do a much better job of elevating the "wrong" types of cholesterol (and triglycerides) than beef or eggs. Science has pretty much refuted the notion that dietary cholesterol significantly impacts serum levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 08:01 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,451 times
Quote:
So in order to lower cholesterol, you would advise eating bacon fried in oil for breakfast rather than steel-cut oats. Do I have your position correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I think the assumption would be "healthy" fats like Fish/Salmon, Avocado, Nuts, Cheese, Eggs and yes some meat.
Yes, of course. But some people only see extremes.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:29 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I have heard that a low carb/high fat diet, rapidly lowers cholesterol. I follow a low carb diet and I have the lowest cholesterol of any of my doctors patients my age.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:35 PM

97 posts, read 118,875 times
Although with good intentions there is way too much inaccurate or mixed up advise my head hurts. I guess it's my fault for clicking on this thread... Get a referral from your physician to see a dietitian that can evaluate your individual situation and provide you with the appropriate nutrition intervention.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:50 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,001 times
Cholesterol doesn't cause heart disease beware of any dislinked physician that suggests otherwise they are literally unread and uneducated too the latest data and research by real cardiologists and Internists. Most MD's have lapsed into a statin indocrination and won't become undated until they go to CE workshops yet will stll miss the right ones. Heart disease is caused by inflamation . Infairness and a sight contradiction by me that statins in the latest data shows signs of being an anti inflamitory. The problem with stations it can cause early onset of memerory loss liver and kidney distinction and joint pain plus it can depleat protective cholesterol within the systemic network of arteries.

Last edited by openmike; 12-04-2015 at 11:00 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 02:26 PM

393 posts, read 360,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lower cholesterol View Post
My doctor took blood test and said my cholesterol levels were high and that I should lower my cholesterol diet and eat low fat foods to help this. The dr also said to exercise and more test will be done soon.

What specific foods should I eat to help this?

What foods should I buy at the grocery store?

What should I be having for breakfast, lunch, dinner?

I think exercising should be 3 times a week.

Thanks.
What is your cholesterol ratio?

Old 12-07-2015, 03:16 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
I would advise meat and fat over any sort of grains. I personally limit the amount of cured meats that I eat because I don't think the curing process itself is healthy but the occasional ingestion of bacon shouldn't be a major problem for people.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:45 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
As you can see, everyone has a different opinion. Not sure why your doctor would advocate a low fat diet, when a low carb, high fat, diet has been shown to lower cholesterol.
If I were you, I would take a statin drug, and follow the Atkins diet for a few months, and see how you like it, and if your cholesterol numbers improve. It is basically, no sugar or flour, very little fruit (no fruit juices), no rice or potato. Aim for under 25 grams of carbs a day. Eat as much meat, vegetables, salad dressings, cheese, eggs, as you want. Perhaps I would add oatmeal, even though it is high in carbs, because it has been shown to lower cholesterol.
I do this and I feel great on it. I do not have high cholesterol, but I have seen an improvement in other ailments, such as GERD and liver enzymes. Some weight loss too, of course.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:08 AM

7,452 posts, read 4,684,019 times
I just got terrible news on my LDL result -- 140.

I need to do diet and exercise. I was advised by PCP to eat less bacon, cheese and eggs but I failed to ask what should I be eating more of instead.

So far based on research, here's what I should be eating. Stuff I can buy (since I don't cook) :

-- oat meal
-- oat bran
-- berries
-- soy milk
-- nuts
-- vegetable juice
-- canned tuna
-- grilled chicken (from KFC, I can buy bucket to last me longer)

Will also avoid softdrinks because I drink them cold after during/after eating. Instead will drink warm water or tea.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:13 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Working out 6 days a week (three cardio, three weights).
Oatmeal/fiber-rich cereal for breakfast.
Eat lots of leafy green veggies.
Cut back on red meat and fatty foods.
Take a fiber supplement.
Lean white meats.
Drink lots of water.
Good advice. I'll suggest also reducing or even eliminating added sugars, which will lower triglyceride levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingyman View Post
Although with good intentions there is way too much inaccurate or mixed up advise my head hurts. I guess it's my fault for clicking on this thread... Get a referral from your physician to see a dietitian that can evaluate your individual situation and provide you with the appropriate nutrition intervention.
And here we have probably the best advice yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss