Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:02 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,677 times

Advertisements

I started 4 days ago and have lost 5 pounds already. Anyone else heard of this diet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
I have not done that diet. I just did a little reading here:
The ultimate diet:The French have kept it a secret for years. Now the protein rich Dukan Diet is coming to Britain | Mail Online

Is that all correct?

If so I have done something like that but not as detailed. I always start or jumpstarted loss with a few days of low carb. The sample menu in the article is how I eat if I don't want to watch cals. I do have more starches though.

The one thing I don't agree with on that article is where it says "if you feel flushed" The flushed feeling can indicate your kidneys are stressed out. I would get them checked on during this diet or any other high protein diet.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:29 PM

Yeah, I have urine strips to keep a check on everything! And I am religiously drinking the water they recommend. Hard going eating nothing but raw protein but at least this is my last day. Then I switch to the next phase where I get to add veggies.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
I started 4 days ago and have lost 5 pounds already. Anyone else heard of this diet?
Hmm, it appears to be very popular in my home country (Europe) and women seem to like it. I've no idea what it's about, but based on knowing my compatriots… it has to be a very extreme fad!

I get the same impression from your post. Nobody can lose 5 lbs in 4 days in any way other than severe dehydration. Well, short of the ways provoking lots of #2s that is, but they also lead basically to dehydration...

Old 05-14-2010, 08:22 PM

yeah, I can guarantee I'm not dehydrated lol, but kind of amazed at how this works. I didn't lose any lbs in the first 2 days though.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:05 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
I have not tried this but it is intriguing. What impressed me was that it gave me a target weight about 25 lbs higher than I wanted but one that would probably be acceptable......I don't think people want to hear that for a fad diet.

And it does not look unheallty from what I have seen and I am no fan of Adkins (which this is not). The book is coming out - I may get that and read up on it before considering.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Down to 136 (6 lbs lost) and today I get to have veggies Doing the Dukan burger today :
Ingredients:

* lean turkey mince
* chopped onions
* crushed chilli (if you want it spicy)
* oat bran
* lettuce
* tomato
* sliced onion
* low fat greek yogurt
* french mustard
* large flat mushrooms
* sliced bell pepper (for the mock ‘fries’)

Here's the list of the approved veggies to have while in the second phase (I've never loved veggies som much in my LIFE, didn't know how much I would miss them!!!):
The full list of veggies you can eat:
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Radishes
Spinach
Asparagus
Leaks
Green beans
Cabbage
Mushrooms
Celery
Leafy salads of all kinds
Eggplants
Zucchini
Peppers

You can even have carrots and beetroot but not with every meal.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Hmm, it appears to be very popular in my home country (Europe) and women seem to like it.
don't lie, sierra..

we all know europe ain't no country.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:43 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Hmm, it appears to be very popular in my home country (Europe) and women seem to like it. I've no idea what it's about, but based on knowing my compatriots… it has to be a very extreme fad!

I get the same impression from your post. Nobody can lose 5 lbs in 4 days in any way other than severe dehydration. Well, short of the ways provoking lots of #2s that is, but they also lead basically to dehydration...
When you start any diet you reduce the amt of salt and sugar your body is taking in. This makes everyone lose about 5-10 lbs on the first week of reduction of most any "diet" eating plan. Your body has to get rid of that water storage first before actually getting to the calorie bank of true fat. You still will shrink but its why those crash diets seem to fail. They actually do work...its just that people start overeating again and the water weight does return minus or plus a few depends on the person and the habits.

I drop 5lbs in two days as soon as I go low carb. Its water, buts it still gone and I am less puffy everywhere.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
When you start any diet you reduce the amt of salt and sugar your body is taking in. This makes everyone lose about 5-10 lbs on the first week of reduction of most any "diet" eating plan. Your body has to get rid of that water storage first before actually getting to the calorie bank of true fat. You still will shrink but its why those crash diets seem to fail. They actually do work...its just that people start overeating again and the water weight does return minus or plus a few depends on the person and the habits.

I drop 5lbs in two days as soon as I go low carb. Its water, buts it still gone and I am less puffy everywhere.
I don't know about those diets (I've never followed one as they're too rigid for me)... It takes me MONTHS to drop 5 lbs. Granted, I'm a small person, but still... I will never lose anything close to 5 lbs (not even 2.5; accounting for size) in 2 days (not even a week), regardless of whether it's done in a healthy or unhealthy way. Won't happen even if I drink nothing but water and eat nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss