Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:07 AM

199 posts, read 591,668 times

Advertisements

Here are the conditions:

1. this is NOT a quick fix: i.e., lose 10 lbs. then regain it all.

2. I cannot starve myself or exercise 15 hours a week.

Here's my stats: 5'9" 165 (male). I shouldn't weigh more than 155, maybe a bit less is fine too.

Here's my plan:

1. 1300 to 1800 calories a day

2. exercise 1-1.5 hrs a day, 4/5 days a week (depending on work schedule, travel, etc.)

Now, here's the catch. I am trying a juice fast one day a week. That means approximately 1000 calories one day out of the week.

What was YOUR SUCCESSFUL plan for long term weight loss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,275 times
Start by eating nothing processed!

I can't say my weight loss has been long-term, as it has only been a few months, but cutting out most processed food has helped me significantly. I attribute my 12 pounds lost to that alone.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 AM

96 posts, read 264,653 times
cut back on the carbs and eat more veggies

Old 05-17-2010, 03:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
Here are the conditions:

Here's my stats: 5'9" 165 (male). I shouldn't weigh more than 155, maybe a bit less is fine too.

Here's my plan:

2. exercise 1-1.5 hrs a day, 4/5 days a week (depending on work schedule, travel, etc.)

Now, here's the catch. I am trying a juice fast one day a week. That means approximately 1000 calories one day out of the week.

How come you want to be so skinny? Just curious.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 AM

199 posts, read 591,668 times
I have noticeable belly adipose. It is going to be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
How come you want to be so skinny? Just curious.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:34 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,672,442 times
Do you lift weights? Sounds to me like you should be packing on some muscle, which will help you burn off that belly fat. And as already stated drop that juice fast!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:10 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
Here are the conditions:

Here's my plan:

WTH?! Even in your other thread people are telling you NOT to do that juice fast diet. Its useless.

Who says you shouldnt weigh more than 155? Thats okay if your a male figure skater or you're trying out for a role in a movie as a sickly near death emaciated aids patient, but for normal males, its waaaay too skinny.

You're only 5'9" 165? Want to be 155 and lose the belly fat but still (as you said in your other post) want to keep lean mass? Go on a cutting diet for 2-3 weeks and do a whole body weight routine every other day. You'll lose the belly but keep muscle.

Try this:

Monday - 2 sets each of 8 reps (you MUST use weight heavy enough so that you CANNOT do 9-10 reps) of Squats, deadlifts, bench press, lat pulldowns, close grip rows, leg curls, leg extensions, and shoulder presses. GO SLOW ON BOTH NEGATIVE AND POSITIVE MOVEMENT OF EACH REP WITHOUT STOPPING OR LOCKING OUT. REMEMBER, IF YOU CAN DO A 9TH REP YOU MUST ADD MORE WEIGHT. YOU SHOULD ACTUALLY FAIL ON YOUR 8TH REP.

Tuesday - Cardio. Run/jog for 3 miles or jump rope for 20 minutes. Followed by ab routine of 25 situps, 25 crunches, 25 Russian twists, 25 hanging knee lifts.

Wed - repeat monday workout

Thursday - repeat Tues cardio.

Friday - repeat monday workout.

Sat and Sun - Rest or do some fun physical activity like bike, play sports with your friends, swim, hike etc.

Your warmup before each workout should be 5 minutes of jump rope and 25 burpees.

Most importantly, you'll need a super clean 1200-1500 cal per day cutting diet.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 05-19-2010 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-19-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Most importantly, you'll need a super clean 1200-1500 cal per day cutting diet.
Try this. Its ONLY for 2-3 weeks so dont worry about getting bored with the diet. If you do, I suggest switching your mindset to thinking of food as fuel for your vehicle instead of food for pleasure.

Monday and Friday
Breakfast - One cup of plain quaker oats cooked in water not milk. Add whole blueberries or strawberries for taste.
Snack - Almond butter and jelly sandwich on one slice whole wheat bread.
Lunch - mix small can of chunk light tuna with tblspoon of mayo (you need this fat), add kidney beans, corn and maybe some spicy horseradish for flavor. Eat with two slices whole wheat bread.
Snack - cottage cheese with almond slivers and whole blueberries.
Dinner - brown rice (Trader Joes has great B.R.) broccoli and grilled or broiled chicken breast.
Snack - either of same two snacks from earlier or a banana.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday
Breakfast - 2 egg omelet with tomato and half a grapefruit
Snack - pick any snack from above.
Lunch - turkey breast on whole wheat and mashed yams.
Snack - any snack from above
Dinner - whole wheat pasta with one chicken breast and spinich.
Snack - Plain popcorn. NOT microwave popcorn.

Thursday, Sunday
Breakfast - bowl of whole grain cereal
Snack - Raw mixed nuts (get from Trader Joes)
Lunch - Lean Cuisine Fiesta Grilled Chicken
Snack - banana or raw broccoli
Dinner - grilled chicken breast or lean beef with brown rice, spinich or steamed broccoli.
Snack - half grapefruit OR cottage cheese OR popcorn OR raw nuts.

Keep your portions small. This looks like a lot of food, but if you follow it, you'll for sure be under 1500 calories per day. Take a good multi vitamin like GNC's Mega Men Sport and be sure to take half serving of whey protein before your weight training and other half immediately after your weight session.

This is pretty much EXACTLY what I did that worked wonders for me. Also remember, when lifting your weights, GO SLOWLY ON BOTH THE NEGATIVE AND POSITIVE PART OF THE LIFT.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:22 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times
I have lost 32 lbs since March 1st. Could have been a bit more but I've been less than perfect on my plan BUT I can tell you this much that I've learned. Cut your caloric intake a little bit (if you can), if you can't try these things. Walk or jog at least 30 mins a day. I have cut out all high carb foods, cut out breads, crackers, things like that. I am on the Medifast plan but just eating my lean and green meal and cutting out all the other stuff has made a difference. I eat about every 2 - 3 hours throughout the day, my last "meal" being about 9:00 - 9:30 in the evening and it's a medifast meal; dessert.
I have reduced calories, taken a low carb way of life, increased activity and stopped drinking alcohol. For you being a guy, those 10 lbs should be a lot easier if you follow even some of this.

Good luck!!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I have lost 32 lbs since March 1st. Could have been a bit more but I've been less than perfect on my plan BUT I can tell you this much that I've learned. Cut your caloric intake a little bit (if you can), if you can't try these things. Walk or jog at least 30 mins a day. I have cut out all high carb foods, cut out breads, crackers, things like that. I am on the Medifast plan but just eating my lean and green meal and cutting out all the other stuff has made a difference. I eat about every 2 - 3 hours throughout the day, my last "meal" being about 9:00 - 9:30 in the evening and it's a medifast meal; dessert.
I have reduced calories, taken a low carb way of life, increased activity and stopped drinking alcohol. For you being a guy, those 10 lbs should be a lot easier if you follow even some of this.
That sounds really good. Congratulations on the weight loss!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss