U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-03-2010, 04:01 PM

8,758 posts, read 6,746,854 times
Arrow I want to lose 45 pounds in three months

I started a diet on May 6. I weighed 277 pounds at that point. Today is June 3, and I'm down to 255. I've been drinking plenty of water this entire time. As of this week, I have stopped buying soft drinks by the bottle, and only drink small soft drinks whenever I go out to eat. Within another couple of weeks, I plan to cut out all soft drinks except on Saturdays. Aside from the random soft drink, I mostly drink water, milk, chocolate milk and green tea. (I place three to four teaspoons of sugar in a cup of green tea, depending on the size of the cup.) I have reduced my daily calorie intake to ~1,500. I've been lifting weights four times per week, and doing cardio exercises five times per week.

Is my goal of 210 pounds or less by September 1 attainable? I'm encouraged by the loss of 22 pounds in the last four weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-03-2010, 05:00 PM

3,362 posts, read 7,023,270 times
You may find that your weight loss slows down - you usually go fastest the first month - so don't be discouraged if it does. If you are a young guy your chances of meeting your goal on time are probably higher and the exercise will help.

You can control your behaviors but not how fast your body reduces as a result of them. I would slowly ditch the sugar in the green tea; it is actually fine with no sugar, really not that many calories but sets you up for a blood sugar spike, drop and hunger!

Most folks think 1-2 lbs a week is healthiest and most likely to stay off for good.........

Unread 06-03-2010, 05:39 PM

I'm 31 years old right now. My body has slowed down a little bit compared to five years ago, but I do remember a time about five years ago when I lost 50 pounds in four months with a less strict diet.

Unread 06-03-2010, 05:55 PM

3,630 posts, read 4,479,371 times
I was just reading how sugar converts in belly fat (I'm trying to reduce the size of my little Buddha belly), so the less sugar you ingest, the better for your weight loss goals. Hard to say, really, whether your goal of 45 lb. loss in 3 months is do-able---depends on your metabolism, your body's propensity to hold onto weight and so many other factors.

Is there a special event upcoming that makes you want to lose that amount of weight by that date? I have a friend who is trying to lose a large amount of weight in a short time because she's attending her ex's wedding in a few months...

By the way, it seems you're doing a lot of smart things in your program, so I support you. Lots of salads, fresh veggies, and not too much in the way of fatty animal and white flour products (cheese, butter, ice-cream, cakes, cookies, doughnuts)?

Unread 06-03-2010, 05:58 PM

I'm meeting a woman in Chicago during Labor Day weekend.

Unread 06-03-2010, 07:19 PM

969 posts, read 2,287,346 times
It took me just over 31 weeks to lose 45 lbs. I've cut out High Fructose Corn Syrup, salt, sugar, enriched flours and hydrogenated oils.
My best advice: Totally ditch all sodas. Its loaded with high fructose corn syrup. Also check condiments and other things you eat and make sure its out of it also. Once you get use to not having sodas, when you do have one its too sweet.
For a sweetner, try Stevia or even honey. Not Nu-stevia or trevia, splenda etc. Stevia is an herb (I actually have some growing in a container outside right now~so exciting~).
Good for you for staying focused and going at it in the gym!

Unread 06-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Status: "NO time for this ...too much work to do!" (set 3 days ago)

1,622 posts, read 995,689 times
I'd also say no diet soda or regular soda, too. One is just as bad as the other. Up the green vegetables,eat mainly fruits and vegetables and you will get plenty of protein in amino acids from green veggies.

Unread 06-03-2010, 08:19 PM

197 posts, read 235,186 times
That sounds excellent: moderate weight loss that you can sustain indefinitely. Kudos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
It took me just over 31 weeks to lose 45 lbs.

Unread 06-04-2010, 07:38 AM

1,978 posts, read 2,489,307 times
Quote:
It took me just over 31 weeks to lose 45 lbs.
Man, I totally read this wrong at first and I thought you wrote that it took you 31 DAYS to lose 45 pounds. I was in a state of shock! Reading is sooooo fundamental!

Congrats on your loss!

Unread 06-05-2010, 07:02 AM

462 posts, read 518,607 times
Quote:
It took me just over 31 weeks to lose 45 lbs. I've cut out High Fructose Corn Syrup, salt, sugar, enriched flours and hydrogenated oils.!
This is a very healthy and realistic time frame for this weight loss.

Quote:
My best advice: Totally ditch all sodas. Its loaded with high fructose corn syrup. Also check condiments and other things you eat and make sure its out of it also. Once you get use to not having sodas, when you do have one its too sweet. For a sweetner, try Stevia or even honey. Not Nu-stevia or trevia, splenda etc. Stevia is an herb
OP, I agree! Step away from the sugar and see what happens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss