Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 02:24 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times

Advertisements

I am 7 months postpartum. I have 3 children all c-sections. My first 2 are 4 1/2 years apart and my 2nd and 3rd are only 2 years apart. With my 3rd surprise pregnancy I hadn't lost the weight I had gained with the second yet. I'm 5"4 and weighed 210 pounds at the end of my pregnancy. I now weigh 170 pounds so I only managed to lose 40 pounds. I wear a size anywhere from 11-14. I used to be thin before kids.
I can't lose anymore weight and I'm wondering if its because of the antidepressants I'm on.
Any good suggestions? Should I try nutrisystem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 AM

92 posts, read 345,716 times
Your situation sounds so much like my own! Right down to the height and weight!

In January I joined livestrong.com (the free version) where I entered in my height, weight and goal weight. It calculated how many calories a day I should be eating. Then I started entering in everything that I ate for one week (not dieting). It was an eye opener to how many calories I was actually consuming. After the first week I started trying to stay within my 1200 calories/day. I was losing 2-3 lbs per week and got down to 151 and stayed there for months. I was so frustrated because I was still eating within my range but couldn't get under 150.

I went over to a friends house and she was working out so I asked if I could join and found that I loved her work out dvd but I couldn't finish the session because I was to tired. I couldn't move for three days which made me really mad that one little work out could knock me down like that. I ordered the dvd's on a Wednesday did normal shipping and they were on my doorstep on Friday night when I got home from work. I was so excited that I went in and did the same 36 minute work out before I picked up my daughter from daycare. That day I finished the workout including the cool down. That was the changing point for me. It's the Brazil Butt Lift dvd's- it's a 3 dvd set with 6 workouts. It comes with the resistance band, a meal plan (which I dont follow), a measurements card, a tape measure and a pencil. I rotate through the workouts Monday-Friday and still stay within 1200 calories. I've been doing these workouts for 4 weeks now and have lost 15 lbs- I started noticing big changes in the way my body looked on the third week. I'm now 6 lbs away from my goal but will continue to do these workouts after I reach my goal because I love doing them.

I know its hard with kids to find the time to workout so I try to do it before I pick up from daycare or on days where I can't do that I give my daughter playdough or paints and she stays busy with that while I work out (in the same room of course).

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find something that works for you!!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
It's hard to exercise/eat right all the time when you have a newborn and a toddler (not to mention a kinder!). You get going on an exercise program and then the toddler will get a stomach virus - you miss 2 days of work outs. Then you catch the same bleepin' virus, and a whole week goes by without getting a workout in. Then the 6 year old comes down with it.

And eat properly? Hah. Usually you're just grabbing something (anything) and stuffing it into your mouth before the baby cries...

With so many roadblocks in your way, you feel as though you'll never (never) get your prebaby body back. So you just kind of throw your hands in the air.....That's what I did, anyway.

But you shouldn't take an all or nothing approach to getting this weight off. First off, give yourself credit - you have lost 40 pounds which is not a small amount. Second, you are maintaining that weight loss. No small feat. You are on the right track.

You can make things easier by keeping only healthy foods on hand, no junk. If you can't get a workout in one day, take a walk around the block if you can. Or do part of your exercise video even if you can't finish it. Try to do some light weight lifting at home to maintain and build muscle. The little things you do now will all add up.

I would also avoid drinking a lot of coffee, which many tired moms do. It triggers the release of insulin, which drops blood sugar. That, in turn, triggers hunger..

Certain medicines can cause weight gain. You can probably google the side effects of any medicine that you are on or ask your doctor.

(Nutristystem might very well be worth a try. It saves you the time of planning/preparing meals which would be a big plus right now.)

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:05 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
thanks so much for the replies!

Old 06-09-2010, 06:17 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Every so many pounds the body likes to hit the pause button too. Another freebie site is : Spark People Diet.

The weight is not going to seem to come off as easily/quickly as it did, because your body is burning less calories just because its smaller. Now you have to see how you are eating to make sure its enough for your weight (or too much) to get your desired weight loss.

Try keeping a food journal to make sure you have the proper portions. If you have been doing everything right for a couple months and still have no weight gone, talk to your doc about your med.
Some meds do keep weight on despite proper efforts. Sometimes they just cause people to munch more food though too. But you won't be able to tell that until you look at the details of what you are eating.

Get yourself a food scale to make portion counting easy. They have cheap ones at walmart.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,878 times
Along with what pit said, try cutting out sugars, salts, enriched flours, high fructose corn syrup, and hydrogenated oils along with portion control. It really does work. I do clean eating and its so much easier than nutrisystem and other diets like that because I can control what is in the food and can make it at home.
Your food is 80% of your weightloss. I also look at my food as a lifestyle change, not a diet so that helps too.
I've had 2 c-sections myself and know the difficulty. Also make sure you document your measurements and even take pics of yourself. Its nice to physically see the process and with the measurements, you can have it on paper to see your progress even if the scales are not moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss