U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:55 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,196,129 times

Advertisements

My friends think I am crazy !!! we have a 4 month old Pug puppy and also 2 older Pugs. When they were small I taught them to swim - we have a pool would do the same with children. Now am teaching Lilly she loves it better to be safe than sorry least if they fall in they will know how to swim and where the steps are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 06:01 PM

418 posts, read 1,204,921 times
My lab just jumped right in and did her thing but she was born on a lake and watched mom and dad swim when she was small. She was almost swimming as soon as could walk!! lol. My lab taught my rottie to swim. It was funny because he watched her and learned how!!
Now my boxer. My poor, poor boxer. Can not swim. I tried to teach the little man but he can not figure out how to kick with his back legs. His butt sinks. I even tried holding his butt up and everything. He got better but still can not swim.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:07 PM

1,203 posts, read 3,876,123 times
My dogs dont even like water and one of them is half lab!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:12 PM

795 posts, read 3,930,140 times
millie -- i didn't have to teach my shih tzu how to swim... instead i had to fish him out of a pool, a lake, and the ocean when he was but a wee pup many moons ago ...

however, i do not think you are silly for teaching your dogs to swim... since i once knew a lady who had to jump in (fully clothed) and rescue her shih tzu when he stumbled into her pool and then sank like a rock to the bottom!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:40 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,824,614 times
Mine just learned to swim by throwing a ball in the water in a pond, shallow sides.........I only had one of my 5 GSDs over the years who was a bit slow at "getting it". For him, I made him watch me play fetch with another dog. He was so frustrated that when we put the other dog up and threw it in he went right for it.

My current working GSD won't stay out of the water. I think he is a pointy-eared lab.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:31 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,885,401 times
Most dogs know how to swim instinctively. (Although, I do know of one Golden who would sink like a rock). It is however always a good idea to teach the dogs where the steps are in a pool or provide a ramp. Those legs can only tread water so long if they should fall in.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:32 PM

490 posts, read 1,599,685 times
I think all dogs know how to swim, they just don't know they know! My GSD was slow in figuring it out, I had to go with her into the lake and one minute later, she was swimming. I was so happy! A few days later, I saw a puppy that was afraid of going into the water. I asked the parent for permission and took the puppy in my arms to a deeper part of the lake and released him. The cutie swam back to his parents in a second! Those were really fun happy days...

Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,601,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Mine just learned to swim by throwing a ball in the water in a pond, shallow sides.........I only had one of my 5 GSDs over the years who was a bit slow at "getting it". For him, I made him watch me play fetch with another dog. He was so frustrated that when we put the other dog up and threw it in he went right for it.

My current working GSD won't stay out of the water. I think he is a pointy-eared lab.
That's so funny. I, also, have a water-loving GSD; the beach is her absolute favorite place. Even when there are waves, she plunges in after her floatie. And so many people come up to me and marvel that I have a GSD that likes to swim, as their GSD's never took to water. I have been taking my GSD to this same beach since she was 14 weeks old and I can't keep her out of the water. As with yours, I just threw in a toy and encouraged her to go after it.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:47 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,845,177 times
bailey and dave will both wade in up to about their chests...... neither has actually been swimming yet...... i discovered that their kibble floats, so am working with that.... throwing it out a little further a piece at a time...... as big a chow-hound as bailey is, she still has not taken that LAST bit to swim.....

Old 06-11-2010, 06:23 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,265,187 times
Simon learned to swim at the local dog beach. We adopted him when he was about 5 and he did not swim. After watching the other dogs swim out to fetch their toys, he finally started swimming on his own. We just took Darcy for the first time and she won't even look at the water. Simon was a border collie/lab mix, and Darcy has a lot of hound in her. I don't know if hounds swim, but we will try a few more times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or