U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 09:47 PM

418 posts, read 1,201,384 times

Advertisements

We are!! My lab, Coco--loves, loves, loves the dog park. She could care less about the other dogs but it involves f-r-i-s-b-e-e and w-a-t-e-r. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 PM

205 posts, read 622,573 times
naw,, I don't much care for dog parks. folks just have no sense and that puts my boys at risk.

I'd rather take them to the dog beach on a weekday while other folks are at work. Yes, there will be people that may or may not know anything about dog etiquette. But its a much larger space and I have more room to move away from the trouble makers.

Last edited by freesiia; 06-11-2010 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: spell check

Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesiia View Post
naw,, I don't much care for dog parks. folks just have no sense and that puts my boys are risk.

I'd rather take them to the dog beach on a weekday while other folks are at work. Yes, there will be people that may or may not know anything about dog etiquette. But its a much larger space and I have more room to move away from the trouble makers.
OMG.....I wish we had a dog beach!! No beaches here in Kansas!! lol. The dog park does have a lake but not the same.
But I do LOVE taking her during the week so much better than the weekends. She gets really frustrated on the weekends because everyone steals her frisbee.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:54 PM

205 posts, read 622,573 times
Dog beaches are cool, we have two or three in driving distance here. Long Beach, Huntington Beach and I think there is one in El Segundo.

I don't go on the weekend, just like any beach its very very busy on the weekends. Weekdays are best.

We do have to pay a little to keep the beaches open - I drop a 5 in the till every time I go. From what I understand its the Insurance the cities require the dog beaches to have is enormous.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesiia View Post
Dog beaches are cool, we have two or three in driving distance here. Long Beach, Huntington Beach and I think there is one in El Segundo.

I don't go on the weekend, just like any beach its very very busy on the weekends. Weekdays are best.

We do have to pay a little to keep the beaches open - I drop a 5 in the till every time I go. From what I understand its the Insurance the cities require the dog beaches to have is enormous.
When I visited Carmel we went to a dog beach! It was awesome!! I love where I live but I would also love for Coco to be able to swim in the ocean just once!!

Old 06-12-2010, 02:42 PM

13,786 posts, read 18,711,608 times
Nope I am not one for dog parks either . some people dont vaccinate their dogs and dont pick up their poop and dont watch them . some are too busy on their cell phones or talking to other people to notice that their dogs had just started a fight . Nope would rather not be a part of that .

Old 06-12-2010, 03:28 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,537,722 times
In my experience, it totally depends on the specific dog park. We have several in our area. I will only take my dog to one of them. The others are full of inconsiderate, self-absorbed owners who pay absolutely no attention to the dogs at all.

The one nearest us is totally different. It is all about doggies! The owners are engaged and actually play with the dogs. Everyone is super nice and very considerate. I can relax and play with all of the dogs knowing that everyone is paying attention to his dog. I've never seen a fight at this dog park.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:51 AM
miu

17,105 posts, read 34,553,940 times
I am very lucky to have a backyard. Since I have eight dogs, they all play with each other and I don't need to take them to a dog park. Even if I only had one dog, I still wouldn't take them to a dog park. I just don't trust strange dog owners and their dogs. It only takes one bad owner/dog to spoil the fun. I'd only be willing to schedule a doggie play date with one other known dog owner and their dog in our backyards.

In all the years that I've owned dogs, I've never taken a dog to a dog park. I've also had a couple of dogs that played with my cats.

Of the pregnant terrier mix that I adopted two and a half years ago, I kept four of her five puppies. They really enjoy playing with each other. The mom joins in, but she also enjoys playing with my lab mix boys. The 8th dog is my 13 year old blind miniature rat terrier. He walks carefully around the yard like Mr. Magoo as the puppies cavort around him.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,813,831 times
We love the dog park. We take our Chug 3-4 times a week when possible That said, I am still very careful and always watching to make sure everything is under control.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:08 AM

577 posts, read 1,579,480 times
I live on acreage but I still take my 3 dogs down to the dog park regularly. The socialization is so good for them. They love it and get so excited when we pull into the parking lot of the park. I find that if you go at a similar time during the week , you end up with the same group of dogs ... so I've found a good mix for my dogs and they have a lot of fun. I skip it on the weekend, more drop ins and newbies .... I don't worry about non- vaccinated dogs as my dogs have their vaccinations so it won't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or