U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:35 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,839,068 times

Advertisements

fwiw .... the flu shot that you get in the fall is a DEAD virus.... you can NOT contract flu from the flu shot.... you may feel a little icky for a day or 2 as your immune system fights the DEAD virus, but that just means it is doing its job.....

i don't know, but would imagine, the parvo vaccine is the same thing.... a DEAD virus so the body learns to fight that virus......

ugh .... parvo has been rearing its ugly head with some frequency this spring.....

best to you blondie .... hope the other dogs are ok.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 06:21 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,225,530 times
The pups were also hacking bad and had kennel cough. Not all of my dogs are current on bordatella. Should I take them in for this?

Old 06-13-2010, 06:39 AM

13,820 posts, read 18,790,699 times
take your dogs in and get a complete set of shot if they need it . do you have shot records for your dogs ? if so take those in and let the vet look and see what they need . I should think that you are putting other dogs in the neighborhood at risk by not vacinating ,please for your sake as well as your pets and that of your neighborhood get those dogs to your vet and let them get whatever they need . I see you live in florida dont forget heartworm preventative either that can be just as seious as parvo and can kill them as well .

Old 06-13-2010, 06:47 AM

1,688 posts, read 6,913,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
The pups were also hacking bad and had kennel cough. Not all of my dogs are current on bordatella. Should I take them in for this?
There's a big difference between kennel cough/bordatella and parvo. A vast difference.

For a start, the bordatella vaccine does not protect against all strains of the virus - it can't, because much like the flu, it's a constantly mutating virus. It protects against the most common strains, 'tis all.

In the overwhelming majority of cases, bordatella/kennel cough is nothing more or less than a PITA - the dog feels like crap, true; same as you would with a bad cold. You treat the same way and it passes. And while dogs with compromised immune systems/poor general health are likely to catch it from another dog, a sound, healthy dog is just as likely not to catch it.

My dogs were exposed to plenty, plenty of dogs that had raging kennel cough (fosters). Not one of mine ever caught it nor were they ever vaccinated against it.

Whether or not you plan to vaccinate for this is up to you - the point of my post is to point out that parvo and kennel cough shouldn't be thought of with the same mind set.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 AM

528 posts, read 2,231,263 times
Quote:
I just had my 3 little foster pups put down yesterday afternoon. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life. One that I struggled with at the vet office for 3 hours. :0(
They were very sick little babies with numerous things and the biggy was Parvo!

My 5 dogs were now exposed to this. I threw everything out that was in the room with the pups and bleached all my floors last night. The vet said that did no good since it was on my clothes and shoes and I tracked it from room to room and then holding some of my dogs. I did wash my hands when I left the room each time and used Purell but the vet said it was already spread.

The vet is urging me to bring all my dogs in for Parvo shots. I have heard that the shots will actually make my dogs immune system weak and maybe cause them to suffer from the disease. They say older dogs have stronger immune systems and can fight it, whereas getting them the shots now will destroy their immune system for 2 weeks.
For the past two years I just get them their rabies shots and bordatella. My dogs do not go to dog parks or other public places where there are dogs.
I do get my Princess all the shots because I do board her sometimes.
Should I take my dogs in today for a Parvo shot or not?
I do have a 14 year old dog who is a month overdue on her rabies and bordatella.
Any input would be of help! Shots or no shots? I say NO!
Have your dogs EVER been vaccinated for parvo? If so, they probably have immunity and will be fine; however a re-vaccination really wouldn't hurt and it won't "destroy" their immune system (who told you that?). Many adult dogs have had exposure to parvo at some point in their lives even without being vaccinated, and that is why it is fairly rare in adult dogs (though can occur)...and if they do contract it, most get what in our shelter we call "parvo lite".
If they have never had the vaccination, or it's been several years, I would re-vaccinate them especially if you are bringing in foster dogs.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
Have your dogs EVER been vaccinated for parvo? If so, they probably have immunity and will be fine; however a re-vaccination really wouldn't hurt and it won't "destroy" their immune system (who told you that?). Many adult dogs have had exposure to parvo at some point in their lives even without being vaccinated, and that is why it is fairly rare in adult dogs (though can occur)...and if they do contract it, most get what in our shelter we call "parvo lite".
If they have never had the vaccination, or it's been several years, I would re-vaccinate them especially if you are bringing in foster dogs.
I did some research online and contaced a huge rescue organization here in Fl.
Her was one thing I read.
The Worst Thing You Can Do If Your Dog Has Been Exposed To Parvo

My dogs have all been vaccinated, not recently for parvo though, in the past they have. I just took my youngest and oldest to the vet this morning for their Bordatella as they were both due for that. .

Old 06-13-2010, 11:44 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,182,706 times
My concern would be the fact that when you get a vaccine you do not get instant immunity it takes several weeks to build that up thus if the dogs have been exposed already that doing a vaccine might not be of any help. That is once reason that with the threat of swine flu or other big flu epidemics hospitals start vaccinating employees long before the general public so that they would have immunity BEFORE it starts showing up.

I myself would not be worried about the bordatella as someone said there are many strains of it and while annoying it is like a cold and usually self limits itself and the dogs recover fine.

If your dogs are healthy and have a strong immune system they may be just fine.It would be any with weakend immune systems such as your older dog that would be of higher concern.

I think I would check with my holistic vet and see what she said before I would rush to to vaccines that may be too late to help but that is my opinion and others may not agree and that is fine.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
My concern would be the fact that when you get a vaccine you do not get instant immunity it takes several weeks to build that up thus if the dogs have been exposed already that doing a vaccine might not be of any help. That is once reason that with the threat of swine flu or other big flu epidemics hospitals start vaccinating employees long before the general public so that they would have immunity BEFORE it starts showing up.

I myself would not be worried about the bordatella as someone said there are many strains of it and while annoying it is like a cold and usually self limits itself and the dogs recover fine.

If your dogs are healthy and have a strong immune system they may be just fine.It would be any with weakend immune systems such as your older dog that would be of higher concern.

I think I would check with my holistic vet and see what she said before I would rush to to vaccines that may be too late to help but that is my opinion and others may not agree and that is fine.
Thanx, I agree. I try to do my homework before I ever make any decisions. I did some research and talked to a few people. I actually had a vet tech agree not to do it. Vaccines do lower an animals immune system. If they were exposed the vaccines will do more harm than good. Between reading and talking with some of the most knowledegable people for me it was a wise decision to not vaccinate for the Parvo.
I just do rabies and bordatella yearly all my dogs. My dogs are not in public places nor do I do the dog park thing for this reason. I take my little one to the petstore but I carry him or he is in the basket in his carrier.
I just happened to take three little babies in that were in need and very sick which I did not know. Poor babies. RIP.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:42 PM

13,820 posts, read 18,790,699 times
Quote:
Thanx, I agree. I try to do my homework before I ever make any decisions. I did some research and talked to a few people. I actually had a vet tech agree not to do it. Vaccines do lower an animals immune system. If they were exposed the vaccines will do more harm than good. Between reading and talking with some of the most knowledegable people for me it was a wise decision to not vaccinate for the Parvo.
I just do rabies and bordatella yearly all my dogs. My dogs are not in public places nor do I do the dog park thing for this reason. I take my little one to the petstore but I carry him or he is in the basket in his carrier.
I just happened to take three little babies in that were in need and very sick which I did not know. Poor babies. RIP.
Again I hate to repeat myself but you do know that parvo is an airborne disease correct ? just stepping into that pet store you are exposing your dog to the germs of the other dogs that are in the store at the same time . Please , please get the dogs vaccinated and I cannot believe a vet tech agreed not to get the shots . Anyways i want to caution you on some ppl in the veternairy proffesion have a cavalier attitude about some things . I would take it with a grain of salt so to speak . good luck on whatever you decide to do .

Old 06-13-2010, 03:15 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,909,853 times
What about getting a titers test? They test for Parvo. My dog was OK for 3 years with titers test. I read on here you can give your dog 'Tamaflu' if the dog comes down with Parvo and you catch it early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs