U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:53 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,222,322 times

Advertisements

I just had my 3 little foster pups put down yesterday afternoon. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life. One that I struggled with at the vet office for 3 hours. :0(
They were very sick little babies with numerous things and the biggy was Parvo!

My 5 dogs were now exposed to this. I threw everything out that was in the room with the pups and bleached all my floors last night. The vet said that did no good since it was on my clothes and shoes and I tracked it from room to room and then holding some of my dogs. I did wash my hands when I left the room each time and used Purell but the vet said it was already spread.

The vet is urging me to bring all my dogs in for Parvo shots. I have heard that the shots will actually make my dogs immune system weak and maybe cause them to suffer from the disease. They say older dogs have stronger immune systems and can fight it, whereas getting them the shots now will destroy their immune system for 2 weeks.
For the past two years I just get them their rabies shots and bordatella. My dogs do not go to dog parks or other public places where there are dogs.
I do get my Princess all the shots because I do board her sometimes.
Should I take my dogs in today for a Parvo shot or not?
I do have a 14 year old dog who is a month overdue on her rabies and bordatella.
Any input would be of help! Shots or no shots? I say NO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 02:14 PM

71,925 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I just had my 3 little foster pups put down yesterday afternoon. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life. One that I struggled with at the vet office for 3 hours. :0(
They were very sick little babies with numerous things and the biggy was Parvo!

My 5 dogs were now exposed to this. I threw everything out that was in the room with the pups and bleached all my floors last night. The vet said that did no good since it was on my clothes and shoes and I tracked it from room to room and then holding some of my dogs. I did wash my hands when I left the room each time and used Purell but the vet said it was already spread.

The vet is urging me to bring all my dogs in for Parvo shots. I have heard that the shots will actually make my dogs immune system weak and maybe cause them to suffer from the disease. They say older dogs have stronger immune systems and can fight it, whereas getting them the shots now will destroy their immune system for 2 weeks.
For the past two years I just get them their rabies shots and bordatella. My dogs do not go to dog parks or other public places where there are dogs.
I do get my Princess all the shots because I do board her sometimes.
Should I take my dogs in today for a Parvo shot or not?
I do have a 14 year old dog who is a month overdue on her rabies and bordatella.
Any input would be of help! Shots or no shots? I say NO!
of course you should follow the vets advise. Even though except for occassionally boarding our dogs were never and now the one is never around other dogs but I wouldn't think of not getting parvo shots for him.

Nita

Old 06-12-2010, 02:39 PM

13,820 posts, read 18,779,327 times
You should always get parvo shots and I am very sorry you had to put the babys down . Once they get the parvo though that is usually it in my expierience as a former vet tech . Parvo is a horrible disease and it is carried on the air and you can always rely on the fact that your dog had the shot and will not be giving it to another dog . Good luck whatever you decide to do .

Old 06-12-2010, 03:53 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,892,575 times
I think you should DEFINITELY get them the shot.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:22 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,900,148 times
Well I am not going to tell you to go against your Vet's advice however, you might want to check out this article.

Does Your Dog Have Canine Parvovirus? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

According to this Parvo is not an airborne virus but you can bring it in from outside. I volunteer at the animal shelter and we had puppies who survived Parvo by being treated by a vet. Of course, not all made it but many did recover. Depending on which vet we asked we got different info, one said Clorox would kill the virus another said it wouldn't.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:09 PM

205 posts, read 624,084 times
There is a new SUPER strong strain of Parvo going the dog community here in Los Angeles, and very likely by now Southern CA. I've heard that the current parvo immunization is little protection against the new strain, but some is better than none I guess.

A trainer associate of mine had parvo run through her home (she had five dogs at the time including Board & Train dogs that weren't her personal pets). She was able to save all the dogs but she spent thousands of dollars in vet bills, had to bleach her entire property, her entire house had to be sanitized. She threw out anything that the dogs touched that could not be sterilized. She turned her home and business upside down. She saved all her animals - but it was hard, time consuming, back breaking work. Each dog had to be confined separately as they moved through the illness.

I wish you luck.

Last edited by freesiia; 06-12-2010 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: fat finger syndrome

Old 06-12-2010, 08:13 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,882,165 times
Parvo is the one thing dogs can get that really scares me. We are still in the midst of the series of puppy Parvo vaccines. I cannot imagine NOT vaccinating. Pls follow your vet's advice on this. Most older dogs will do just fine even if exposed, but all dogs should be getting boosters, just in case.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:23 PM

3,582 posts, read 5,738,492 times
Honestly you should have not been fostering unknown puppies without your dogs having been vaccinated at least two weeks prior to bring the puppies home.

I am NOT pro vax...I only do the minimum with my dogs as well and have worked in the vet industry for the better part of 20 years.

Clorox DOES kill parvo.

Parvo is NOT airborne but it IS highly contagious.

If your dogs have already been exposed I don't BELIEVE the shots will do any good at this point. However if you continue to "foster" you should have your pets up to date as you could be putting them at considerable risk.

Have your dogs EVER had parvo shots during their lifetimes? Its being debated in the industry if boosters are even helpful. If your dogs were at one time vaccinated you may be in the clear even if the shots are not current.

Even if your dogs were current some dogs still can contract the virus but usually a much milder case. Healthy adult dogs generally have a much better prognosis than puppies.

Best of luck on this.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:29 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,366,250 times
Default Blondie...throw any toys away that the sick pups played with.

I am soooooo sorry.
Certain dog breeds have a harder time with the disease. ROTTWEILERS for one. Labs & Cockers, also.
These 3 breeds don't have a fighting chance. Although ...
We had gotten a Rotty pup 8 weeks old, our first Amos. Some how contracted Parvo. We knew nothing about the disease. This was 1995.
I do know from experience... if a pup ever becomes listless, no energy & diarhea, get it to the vet or emergency vet ASAP. If your vet is closed then go to emergency. DO NOT wait until your vet is open the next day.
Every second matters.
Our first little Amos died at 14 weeks. It just about killed me.

1 year later ... we had moved to a new home...where we are now. Got 2 rotty pups litter mates, 12 weeks old. At 14 weeks... I noticed Yogi acting droopy, not like a puppy should be acting.
I took him to the vet & first thing they did was test him & put IV fluids in him. He was sick. His Sister was fine as could be. 4 days at vet... he survived. He lost a lot of weight & had to give him special can food SD. and just a little bit of food at a time.
He did great. Lead a happy healthy life for almost 10 years.

We rescued a Rotty female 6 months old that had contracted parvo...but luckily the foster parents got her to the vet. She survived. She is still with us today. Spoiled rotten as can be.

It IS Airborne. If a fly flies on parvo poop, then the fly flies off in your yard. YES it is airborne in that regard.

Personally...thru our experience.it's worth every penny to get the several shots to prevent this disease.
I've never known a dog to get parvo from the shots, myself.

I think it's like flu shots. Flu shots don't give you the flu.

If a person who loves their pups like we do... nothing is worse than watching a pup struggle to stay alive with this damn parvo.It's terrible.

Bleach is the only thing that will rid of the virus. I would throw whatever clothes you had on away. Unless you can use chlorine bleach on them.
Bleach out any kennels, bleach towels, bleach everything.

I went to a Rotty breeder one time & before you could go back & see the pups, and the Mom & Dads, they had a big white thick rug, that they would pour bleach on & you had to wipe your feet on the bleach rug as soon as they poured the bleach on there.

Everyone will have their 2 cents worth, but this is my opinion & our experience for the last 15 years with parvo.
I pray that none of you ever have to go thru it. It's worse than anything I have ever gone thru with our Rotts.

Take care, Blondie.
I know how you are about your pups. Your a nut about them , just like me.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:45 PM

3,582 posts, read 5,738,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post

I think it's like flu shots. Flu shots don't give you the flu.
Hmmmmmmm....Don't more people die from complications due to flu shots than die from the flu virus in an average year???

A fly contaminated with infected fecal matter flying and landing in a different location does NOT qualify as airborne transmission in a clinical sense...sorry!

Otherwise sound advice on the clean up Sillypups

A link with info on the vaccine debate if anyone one is interested. This vet has done a TON of research and has the welfare of the pet first and foremost
IMHO...and no, I am not connected to his practice in any respect but it is a good presentation that speaks volumes.

I have always felt it would be in the best interest of my profession if clients heard about this from their Veterinarian first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs