U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:41 PM

205 posts, read 620,598 times

Advertisements

my muscle man! that is an American Staffordshire Terrier!

Jessie, a rescued APBT. Now she was a gamey little thing. She was put in a ONE pet home.

Gunnar, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog. Often confused as a mix between a American Bulldog and a APBT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 02:52 PM

4,582 posts, read 4,997,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Funny. I remember when this was first posted here, a long time ago, when I was new to the dog forum and new to dog "ownership" (Artie owns me, not the other way around). It took me A LOT (maybe upwards of 10 or 12) of tries to get to the pit bull. This time it only took two clicks.

I also learned, in these past few years, that I've never met a mean pit bull. They've all been total loves, despite their bad rep.
Same here. The first time it took lots of tries. This time only twice. And yes I have been educated on "pit bulls" thanks to this forum.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:53 PM

7,533 posts, read 16,331,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
pit bulls have hearing problems and are near sighted and it seems to be in their gene pool; therefore, they'll react first and look later. Crossing them may or may not work.
One pit I know went absolutely ballistic as another dog came down the city sidewalk, only to FINALLY see that it was his dog pal. that "attitude" is the last thing I need particularly if there are children around. And we're in a busy downtown, where there are lots of variables coming at us.

I've rescued a few pits in my moving company days but their natural paranoia is like trusting a union business agent with your money: you can never stop watching them.

Cross bred or not, they were bred for a purpose: If you don't manage them, they'll manage you.
Wow, where did you get all that information about them being deaf and short sighted ? None of the Pits / Staffs I have met have had trust issues except for the ones that are chained outside and get about 2 minutes attention a day.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:00 PM

9,350 posts, read 16,731,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Nope, I don't see the pit bull in Bailey. Maybe some Jack Russell Terrier, Border Collie, or some Springer Spaniel, but I would not identify Bailey as a pit bull. He looks like a bundle of energy. You must have your hands full with him.
she's a red heeler mix .... mixed with what, i have no clue.... but DEFINITELY has that herding instinct.....

my point was that people will say just about ANY dog is a pit or a pit mix....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Wow, where did you get all that information about them being deaf and short sighted ? None of the Pits / Staffs I have met have had trust issues except for the ones that are chained outside and get about 2 minutes attention a day.

yep ..... ding ding ding .... brian wins the prize.....

Old 06-15-2010, 03:14 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,697,657 times
Reps to you Brian!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:44 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,706,361 times
What a bunch of handsome pups here!

I really like the Heeler. I switched to Australian Cattle Dogs myself ~15 years ago. Love the herding breeds. Cattle Doggies seem to have the smarts, speed, and agility of the Border Collie combined with the strength, intensity and bravery of the APBT, which can be either really really good , or really really scary, depending on one's POV. Plus since they are "fluffy" people don't seem to have any fear of them.

I still have soft spot for the APBTs though. It's too bad they've gotten such a bum rap in life . As others have mentioned, raised in the right conditions, they make awesome family dogs.

Here's my funny story: We had a yard-guy who asked what kind of dog "Butchie" (our ancient APBT) was. We said "Pit Bull" and as the yard guy's first language was not English it came out as "Pee Pull". So we started calling our dogs "American People Terriers" or simply "People Dogs" for short. I figure if there can be "Dog People" there most certainly can be "People Dogs".

Old 06-21-2010, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 10,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I agree. And I have no desire to own any dog that looks like one of the muscular pit bull look alike breeds in those quizzes. Who needs a house pet that is so strong? And if someone feels that they have to have a dog for personal protection, then that dog needs to be professionally trained. I feel the same way about firearms ownership. If you want to own a gun, then you need to have the proper training to learn how to handle one.

I don't even like my men to look like body builders.

Pitbulls are a very smart breed of dog. Actually one of the best dogs for small children since they have one of the highest pain tolerances! (tail pulling, fur pulling...etc) Did you know, chihuahuas send more people to the ER annually for stitches than ANY bully breed? Just a simple fact for you.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:40 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,756,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freesiia View Post
my muscle man! That is an american staffordshire terrier!

Jessie, a rescued apbt. Now she was a gamey little thing. She was put in a one pet home.

Gunnar, alapaha blue blood bulldog. Often confused as a mix between a american bulldog and a apbt
gorgeous!!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 10,000 times
Pit Bulls Make Great Pets | KING 5 TV | Seattle News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | New Day NW

Check this out

Old 06-21-2010, 10:48 PM

205 posts, read 620,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
gorgeous!!
Thank you. I very much enjoy my boys and rescuing and re-homing those I can't keep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs