U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2010, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,825 posts, read 20,217,314 times
Reputation: 6487

Advertisements

It has been my experience that the vast majority of people could not identify a pit bull if it bit them.

To prove my point, the following web site has 25 photographs of different breeds of dogs, only one of them is an American Pit bull Terrier. On your honor, who can identify the pit bull on their first try? (I couldn't)

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

At the very least, I hope this thread makes people think twice before blurting out emphatically that "it is a pit bull," when in reality that may not be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2010, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,556 posts, read 11,890,246 times
Reputation: 4516
People thought Brody was a pit when he was a puppy (he's the Bordeaux, #2); they're a very misidentified - and misunderstood - breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,825 posts, read 20,217,314 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
People thought Brody was a pit when he was a puppy (he's the Bordeaux, #2); they're a very misidentified - and misunderstood - breed.
I get the same reaction with my Buddy (he is a Boerboel, or African Mastiff #23), even from other Pit Bull owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 05:18 PM
 
Location: California
10,091 posts, read 36,856,826 times
Reputation: 22101
This has been posted before. I had a hard time myself! Took me two clicks.
I think "PitBull" tends to be used as a cover name for anything remotely resembling the breed. Ignorance at it's best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
753 posts, read 2,221,549 times
Reputation: 767
I love this thing. I have a copy of it. I had to print it out to show a few pit bull haters I know. They couldn't geuss after 3 tries and were shocked when I told them which one it was. I hate ignorant people. Especially when they talk about how horrible pit bulls are and how scared they are but they can't even point one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,077,317 times
Reputation: 6825
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I love this thing. I have a copy of it. I had to print it out to show a few pit bull haters I know. They couldn't geuss after 3 tries and were shocked when I told them which one it was. I hate ignorant people. Especially when they talk about how horrible pit bulls are and how scared they are but they can't even point one out.
But come on, the ones that looked most like the actual are pretty rare breeds one is unlikely to encounter in this country. I'm sure what most people come across that they think are pit bulls are actually pit bulls. I doubt they're mistaking a Swiss Mountain Dog, lab, or Viszla for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Reputation: 5087
The term pitbull is used as a "type" or described as "pitbull type" in most ill written BSL to cover any dog that has muscles or in anyway slightly resembles APBT / Staffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,118 posts, read 34,619,338 times
Reputation: 16195
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
But come on, the ones that looked most like the actual are pretty rare breeds one is unlikely to encounter in this country. I'm sure what most people come across that they think are pit bulls are actually pit bulls. I doubt they're mistaking a Swiss Mountain Dog, lab, or Viszla for one.
I agree. And I have no desire to own any dog that looks like one of the muscular pit bull look alike breeds in those quizzes. Who needs a house pet that is so strong? And if someone feels that they have to have a dog for personal protection, then that dog needs to be professionally trained. I feel the same way about firearms ownership. If you want to own a gun, then you need to have the proper training to learn how to handle one.

I don't even like my men to look like body builders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 12:24 AM
 
12 posts, read 75,866 times
Reputation: 17
Hmm, I actually recognized a lot of those breeds but it took me a few clicks to find the pit. To be honest I don't think it's a great picture of the pit--a lot of the recognition comes from the head shape and with the angle of the shot it doesn't look much like a pit to me. Definitely interesting to see the variety of dogs that people tend to push into the pit category though.

I've got a corso (#15) because I like a dog that's solid and doesn't leave me feeling like it's going to break if it accidentally gets a paw stepped on or wrestled with, etc. I also was drawn to the energy level and loyalty of the breed. My goal wasn't to have a scary looking dog--it was to find the best kind of dog to match my energy level, lifestyle, and could handle what I expect from my dog. I don't believe corsos (or most of the other breeds shown there) are good for everyone--but I think it's silly that people assume that the owner got the dog just to look tough, etc. By that logic, everyone with a poodle/chihuahua/pocket dog is obviously trying to look like a wimp--it's just silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,077,317 times
Reputation: 6825
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBlue63 View Post
I've got a corso (#15) because I like a dog that's solid and doesn't leave me feeling like it's going to break if it accidentally gets a paw stepped on or wrestled with, etc. I also was drawn to the energy level and loyalty of the breed. My goal wasn't to have a scary looking dog--it was to find the best kind of dog to match my energy level, lifestyle, and could handle what I expect from my dog. I don't believe corsos (or most of the other breeds shown there) are good for everyone--but I think it's silly that people assume that the owner got the dog just to look tough, etc. By that logic, everyone with a poodle/chihuahua/pocket dog is obviously trying to look like a wimp--it's just silly.
The Corsos in the pic reminded me of the multi-headed dog in Harry Potter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top