U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 PM

6,475 posts, read 9,893,038 times

Advertisements

I'll be having surgery soon, and I expect to be away from home for 3 days/2 nights. I plan to have a petsitter come in once a day to feed my dogs. I have a sister stopping by in the morning to check/feed/clean up.

I keep my blind/deaf sheltie, Scarlet, in an x-pen while I work, she's free when I'm home. For these 3 days, she won't be getting any real extended break from the pen for those 3 days when I'm gone. My only other option is to find someone to keep her for me, but I don't know of anyone willing to take her on for those 3 days. I may have my mom stay in my place for those 3 days, but she's 76, I can't expect her to take care of Scarlet the way she needs to be taken care of.

Is 3 days too long to be in the pen? Please note, NOT a crate, but an x-pen with bed, blanket, water, and pee pads. Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 06:54 PM

8,039 posts, read 3,957,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I'll be having surgery soon, and I expect to be away from home for 3 days/2 nights. I plan to have a petsitter come in once a day to feed my dogs. I have a sister stopping by in the morning to check/feed/clean up.

I keep my blind/deaf sheltie, Scarlet, in an x-pen while I work, she's free when I'm home. For these 3 days, she won't be getting any real extended break from the pen for those 3 days when I'm gone. My only other option is to find someone to keep her for me, but I don't know of anyone willing to take her on for those 3 days. I may have my mom stay in my place for those 3 days, but she's 76, I can't expect her to take care of Scarlet the way she needs to be taken care of.

Is 3 days too long to be in the pen? Please note, NOT a crate, but an x-pen with bed, blanket, water, and pee pads. Any ideas?
I think I can help I have a blind dog myself. I don't think the pen would hurt a bit in fact while you are gone she would probably find the pen far more secure than anywhere else as long as she has the creature comforts and from your post it sounds like she will. If possible though have someone she trusts take her out of the pen for a bit of a run around each day. Those x-pens are great for housing a pet for an extended period. I am sure she will be fine my blind dog sometimes prefers a pen to wandering loose it is a security thing. Hope you recover quickly.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:02 PM

490 posts, read 1,595,420 times
First, I hope your surgery goes well.

Second, is the pet sitter or your sister going to walk Scarlet? If not, I think is too long. Perhaps you should board her in a place where she can get some exercise/company. I know is difficult for you and it will be what it will, but if you can find another alternative so you have some peace of mind, that would be best.

Take care,

Old 06-15-2010, 07:19 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,478,501 times
I have a beagle who is fifteen. She is probably blind thought its hard to tell. I will never board her again after the last experience when I'm sure she had another dog in the pen since she was a mess.

I would use a pen like you describe if I had room. For two to three days its not bad, and you'll have people check on her. Does she know her way back to the pen if she's lose? If not I wouldn't have a person she isn't familiar with guide her since she might not feel secure. I definately wouldn't board her since unless you know for sure just how the pens are and if they double book them she could be very uncomfortable. And good luck on your surgery. I hope you feel well quickly.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:24 PM

3,344 posts, read 9,834,991 times
If you talk to your vet, they might be able to give an anti-anxiety medication or also make some suggestions. I'm not one for medicating dogs for stress, but this is a unique circumstance. Perhaps include a tee-shirt or something that smells like you?

Old 06-15-2010, 07:27 PM

Scarlet will NOT go on a walk for exercise. She'll only go into the patio and sniff around. I do agree, it is too long to be in the pen. Even when she had her eyesight, she was a nervous WRECK once I got her out the front door. She'll go a few feet and then try to retreat. VERY stressful for her. I don't know why she's like this, I've only had her almost 3 years, and she's at least 9 years old. She does spend the whole time she's awake just pacing the house, and will NOT go outside on her own. I have to carry her to go outside to do her business.

She'll have pee pads to go on, but I am worried about her staying in the pen for 3 days, at least when she paces, she gets her muscles moving. I don't think a boarding facility would be good for her. She has to have a special diet (raw), and being in a strange place will probably make her a nervous wreck, I hate to do that to her.

I do have to find another alternative. Maybe I can pay a foster (I volunteer with a couple of rescues) to take her for those 3 days.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I have a beagle who is fifteen. She is probably blind thought its hard to tell. I will never board her again after the last experience when I'm sure she had another dog in the pen since she was a mess.

I would use a pen like you describe if I had room. For two to three days its not bad, and you'll have people check on her. Does she know her way back to the pen if she's lose? If not I wouldn't have a person she isn't familiar with guide her since she might not feel secure. I definately wouldn't board her since unless you know for sure just how the pens are and if they double book them she could be very uncomfortable. And good luck on your surgery. I hope you feel well quickly.
Boarding is not an option for her. I can't have her loose in the condo because she'll just pee anywhere. She used to seek out the pee pads, but not anymore (possibly dementia setting in). She can find her way around, though. I really need to find someone to take her for me, which would be the best thing.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
If you talk to your vet, they might be able to give an anti-anxiety medication or also make some suggestions. I'm not one for medicating dogs for stress, but this is a unique circumstance. Perhaps include a tee-shirt or something that smells like you?
Well, she doesn't need any meds for anxiety, I would like her to be free out of the pen every so often while I'm gone. I'm afraid I'm the one with anxiety.

I think I have to bite the bullet and ask family to take her for the time I'm gone. They're just not dog fanatics, and the 2 others that are, already have a houseful of dogs.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:22 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,025,684 times
It would be ideal if you could find someone to take her.

Hope your surgery goes well.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,376,483 times
Our pet sitter seems to always be watching a blind/deaf pug when we drop ours off. The pug is in an Xpen, the same way he is at home, and he just sleeps on his mat most of the day. He's the sweetest thing ever, but gets very anxious and confused when out of the pen. I don't think it's cruel, it's the best and safest situation. I hope your surgery goes well and I am positive your dog will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or