U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 12,094 times

Advertisements

I have an older mutt (most likely a terrier mix) and every once in a while when I put her to bed she starts licking the bars of her kennel, her stuffed animal, and her blanky. I usually tell her to stop and sometimes she will, but as soon as she realizes I'm paying attention to her she starts to do it almost complusively. Then she starts gagging and coughing up nothing. She whimpers and coughs and licks the bars of her kennel until I let her out. All she wants to do is go eat grass. I realize this is helpful for dog's stomachs and helps her vomit, but we don't feed her anything that would upset her stomach like this. She only eats dog food.

The part that bothers me the most is that lately this is happening more and more often. At first it was alright, but now it's happening sometimes during the day and almost every night. A lot of the time I just tell her to calm down and I rub her belly to comfort her; and eventually she falls asleep.

She went to the vet and my mother asked about her obsessive desire to eat grass, and they said something like "Oh, some dogs just like it. It's tasty to them so when it's in season that's all they want to do." Something about that just didn't seem right.

Should I have a follow-up appointment to get to the bottom of this, or just stop worrying? She is an older dog after all, but I love her and I hate it when she does. It scares me and I don't want to lose her for something that I could have easily cured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 02:15 AM

1 posts, read 12,050 times
my terrier cross has a forceful hacking cough. he tried to eat grass but nothing is coming up and he keeps hacking.he seems to be stressing out at well. what is the problem? does anyone have aby ideas

Old 07-13-2015, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,354 times
My shih tzu/maltese mix had similar symptoms. Discovered that my hair (probably from the living room carpet or bathroom floor) was in her mouth... ughhhh. I figured this out during the beginning of her third episode, each about two months apart. The first two times I put powder from a benedryl capsule on my finger and rubbed it on her teeth and tongue to get her calmed (both episodes went on through the night). She had willingly drank water from a water bottle.

This third time i pulled out many strands of hair immediately from her mouth after the coughing began. That had fixed it.

Never thought this could happen, esp. since i vacuum the living room at least once a week.... maybe because I am not so diligent about the bathroom floor.

Hope this helps someone. Good luck if you have to be reading this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs