U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2010, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Small Town USA Population about 15,000
442 posts, read 838,765 times
Reputation: 202

Advertisements

My puppy(Sheba-AKC GSD) is 8 weeks old today and weighed 14lbs at Dr. visit last Tuesday. She has calmed down a little on the whinning. I have never owned a big breed before and am very new to this. I do have a cage for her, very open the wire kind, and she does not like it. I have tried to bribe her to go in it with little snacks put in there. I keep her in the back downstairs room of my house for now but when I leave the room she whines I am strick with the no word and sometimes she will settle down. I use the cage at night so she does not go potty in the house and I get up at least twice a night to let her go outside. I do not give her any water after 7 and have made 9-9:30 her bed time. If I have to go somewhere I do take her with me and she still whines a little but calms down, I do keep her in the back seat of the truck--not in the bed of the truck. She is getting along with my Shih-Tzu they are starting to play, so I know she is not sick. She eats a little less than I would like, I give her 1 cup 3 times a day and does not finish it. I feed her at 6am, around 1 and again at 4-4:30, I give her about 1/2 an hour to eat before I put it up-water is always available until 7. I have an abundance of patience but also have an 11 year old son who wants to play with her and I find myself fustrated when I have to yell at both of them for playing a little rough(am I wrong for feeling this?)

Anyway I would appreciate any suggestions on what I may do or what I am doing wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Texas or Cascais, Portugal
3,406 posts, read 3,168,411 times
Reputation: 8235
dogs are pack animals; leaving an 8 week old puppy (basically an infant) alone in a room away from you and the other dog is cruel. If she is crated, the crate should have towels, or a throw over the top and sides to make her feel more secure. More important, the crate should be in your bedroom or whatever room the other dog sleeps in. Isolating a puppy from the pack is certain to cause separation anxiety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 07:31 AM
 
889 posts, read 2,373,902 times
Reputation: 2640
It sounds like you are doing a GREAT job!!! The only negative you mentioned was being frustrated at the "kids" playing too rough. I think that's natural. I had that too. You just don't want the pup to get hurt (and they can!) I don't know if it will help, but I put a sheet over pup's cage to make it cozy in there: den-like. You may not want to do that if your house is hot in the summer. It was hard to get our pup to go in his cage at first. As long as they know that you are the boss, there is no choice, and you won't be coming back to talk to or baby them. Now, I just say, "cage!" and he runs straight in for the treat he always gets. Be confident. You're doing great! Yes, you could move the crate to an area nearer to the people or other dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 07:50 AM
 
1,055 posts, read 4,303,389 times
Reputation: 1152
Do you keep her downstairs when your gone? If not then is there a reason you keep her in a crate downstairs when your home?

GSD are a very vocal breed. My female whined even as an adult. My male never did, although the female did enough for the both of them. But an 8 week old whining is perfectly normal. What sort of treats are you giving her when you put her in the crate? You could also feed her in there, thats what I did with my Corgi who wasn't crazy about the crate in the beginning. Now all I have to say is "I gotta go" and he heads straight for his crate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Small Town USA Population about 15,000
442 posts, read 838,765 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
dogs are pack animals; leaving an 8 week old puppy (basically an infant) alone in a room away from you and the other dog is cruel. If she is crated, the crate should have towels, or a throw over the top and sides to make her feel more secure. More important, the crate should be in your bedroom or whatever room the other dog sleeps in. Isolating a puppy from the pack is certain to cause separation anxiety.
I did forget to mention that there is a cover over the cage, she is not in it at all during the day, I mostly stay in the back room with her. The other dog does sleep in the back room with her. And I do not think I am being mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Small Town USA Population about 15,000
442 posts, read 838,765 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
It sounds like you are doing a GREAT job!!! The only negative you mentioned was being frustrated at the "kids" playing too rough. I think that's natural. I had that too. You just don't want the pup to get hurt (and they can!) I don't know if it will help, but I put a sheet over pup's cage to make it cozy in there: den-like. You may not want to do that if your house is hot in the summer. It was hard to get our pup to go in his cage at first. As long as they know that you are the boss, there is no choice, and you won't be coming back to talk to or baby them. Now, I just say, "cage!" and he runs straight in for the treat he always gets. Be confident. You're doing great! Yes, you could move the crate to an area nearer to the people or other dog.
I am more concerned with the puppy hurting my son playing because she does nip at the air, playing of course. I have been the alpha male for her, I did read up on that. My house is not hot I live in a elevated area in Utah. Oh I should mention that while I use the cage she is in the back room with me all day with the slider open so she can go out.
Thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Small Town USA Population about 15,000
442 posts, read 838,765 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
Do you keep her downstairs when your gone? If not then is there a reason you keep her in a crate downstairs when your home? She is downstairs all the time until I introduce her to the rest of the house, the crate is used at night and is maintained open during the day so she doesn't think it is a punishment.

GSD are a very vocal breed. My female whined even as an adult. My male never did, although the female did enough for the both of them. But an 8 week old whining is perfectly normal. What sort of treats are you giving her when you put her in the crate? I use bits of milkbone-advice given from another big breed owner.
You could also feed her in there, thats what I did with my Corgi who wasn't crazy about the crate in the beginning. Now all I have to say is "I gotta go" and he heads straight for his crate.
I am trying to but she will not yet.

Thank you for your advice---it is very appreciated. see in quote, sorry about that.

Last edited by trnsplntfrmNV; 06-18-2010 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: reply is in quote?? don't know why it did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 AM
 
Location: California
10,091 posts, read 36,797,046 times
Reputation: 22096
Sounds like a puppy being a puppy to me. Dogs are pack animals...large breed/small breed, makes no difference, they yearn to be with their "pack".
Water under the bridge, but if you have her at 8 wks...she was taken away from the litter too soon. Most rep. breeders keep their puppies until 10-12 weeks...The kennel/cage: Puppies like small, tight, cozy places( ie safe in her eyes). A large, open wired cage, makes her uneasy and unsafe.
When you must be away from her...try throwing a well worn ( yes, stinky) t-shirt or the like of yours or your sons (or whomever she has bonded with) into the kennel...the scent will help comfort her.
I understand your son wanting to play...boys will be boys...but watch the roughhousing. The puppy nipping and playing rough at 8 weeks, may be cute now...in a few weeks, not so much. Nipping, tugs of war, jumping, etc. should not be encouraged at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Ladysmith,Wisconsin
1,587 posts, read 6,681,111 times
Reputation: 745
I emailed you many ideas. 8-9 weeks for large breed is when many breeders let them go the smaller breeds stay longer. I see some of the advice sent you has been listed also especially the rough play stop before starts is best play fetch and such is better. Like said email if need more or call as gave cell #
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Small Town USA Population about 15,000
442 posts, read 838,765 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
I emailed you many ideas. 8-9 weeks for large breed is when many breeders let them go the smaller breeds stay longer. I see some of the advice sent you has been listed also especially the rough play stop before starts is best play fetch and such is better. Like said email if need more or call as gave cell #
I received email...thank you so much for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top