U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,336,352 times

Advertisements

Seizures can be triggered by a lot of different things: certain foods, epilepsy, diabetes (or hypoglocemia which would be my first suggestion for your dog seeing he had slightly higher glucose level) and brain tumors. As I stated, it sounds like he just got a little too much sugar (maybe he sneaked a cookie?) Or it could be he just has higher levels naturally and it needs to be maintained with medication. You may want to go to a different vet b/c being they did blood tests and found something abnormal would let me to believe they would put him on anti-seizure meds.
If he has another one, remember to stay calm, put him in a safe place, and comfort him. Don't get close to their face b/c they can have involuntary movements and could accidentally bite you. Dogs can't swallow their tongues and it is very rare for a dog to die from a seizure. If they do, it's usually b/c of a tumor or something much more serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:01 AM

725 posts, read 2,568,177 times
Thanks for the advice. Both vets I saw actually advised against medication at this time. They both cautioned me on the side effects, and being that Bristow is still pretty young (2.5 years old) it might be a little premature to get him on medication right away. They said to monitor him, and if it happens again in the future and frequently, we would discuss the options as far as medication.

I really had wondered what could have caused it. We were out in the courtyard for less than five minutes. I thought that Bristow broke something when he was shaking and couldn't move, yet he wasn't yelping. Then I thought he ate something, but would it have had that quick of an effect?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:45 AM

21,863 posts, read 23,099,297 times
Typically, you will never know what (if anything) "triggered" the seizure. Best you can do is be prepared and knowledgable. Best of luck.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:48 PM

6,475 posts, read 9,903,695 times
My dog had a seizure last April. Since my vet has suspected she has developed a brain tumor, I took her in the day after. Now, the seizure was only in her mouth, in that her mouth opened and shut very fast, like teeth chattering. Vet didn't want to give meds as this was her first episode and recommended that I monitor her, also. He would only want to give meds if there was some kind of frequency.

Well, she never had one until this past weekend, where she had a series of seizures, all in her mouth, again, and somewhat in her head, too. I had logged in a notebook the times, duration, and any physical symptoms that developed. I took her to the vet first thing Monday morning, and because of the number of times she had them, he put her on phenobarbitol. She hasn't had a seizure since then, and is acting very normal.

I would suggest keeping a written record of your dog's seizures. Date, time, length of duration, any physical symptoms (foaming/salivating at mouth, for example), and how your dog acted after the seizure ended. My dog foamed, and once she came out of of it, seemed very freaked out and agitated, whined and sometimes let out a few yelps. She peed after every seizure, and paced furiously round and round for about a half our at a time (she's blind/deaf, so she finds an area to circle).

Also, grab a camera and film it to show your vet. I did that with another dog I have and he was able to determine it was a petit seizure, as opposed to a grand mal. Did a blood panel, and found a very low thyroid. Gave him medication, and he's been seizure-free since (2 months now). I still watch him very closely, in case it's not the thyroid.

good luck.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 302 times
My dog is having the same events seizures I think but he walks around all down today and peed on himself and had a seizure I took him to the vet and they said they could find anything wrong with him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs