Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 01:57 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,006,504 times

Advertisements

Probably a stupid question but we have been looking into adding a dog to our family for quite some time now and we are just trying to get as prepared as possible for when that time comes.

We finally found a puppy that we love but will not be adopting him until he's 8 weeks old (mid-July).

We plan on crate-training him so that he has a safe, comfortable place on our main floor to retreat to (and for when we need to leave the house). We also plan on having him sleep in our room (2nd floor master) so that I can potty train him and listen for his cues overnight.

Is is necessary to have two crates? What did those of you who had puppies do?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 02:09 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,237,547 times
How big will the crate be? It's a pain to move a crate from room to room, never mind up and down the stairs every day. If you can swing it, I'd go for 2, unless it's a small breed with a small crate. Once the pup gets older and no longer needs to sleep in one at night, you can always resell it. I personally think lugging a crate up and down would get old very quickly!

Congrats on your upcoming addition. As always, we love to see pictures!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,288,159 times
I had two crates for Bandit when he was a youngster. One was his "permanent" VariKennel -- XL. It stayed downstairs in the living room. The other was a smaller collapsable kennel that I kept in the bedroom. Bandit would start on the bed, move to the floor, and eventually move into his kennel. He still does this 8 years later. LOVES his kennel!

Having two crates was mostly just a convenience for me so that I didn't have to lug them around. He wasn't in them at all times, of course. The bedroom one was mostly doors-open all night, and the living room one became more doors-open as he got older. Now his kennel is doors-open all the time, but he still loves to go and spend time in there, even when I'm home.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:54 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times
yep i would get a collapsable or a travel crate for upstairs and then get a solid one for down stairs . yep i leave the kennel door open to and they go in their to sleep sometimes during the day . and sometimes they just need to be by themselves .

Old 06-21-2010, 02:57 PM

205 posts, read 723,169 times
I agree with the prior posts - two crates will save your you the work of dragging the crate up and down stairs. And eventually after the dog grows up and if you no longer want a crate in your bedroom - you can substitute a doggy bed for a crate. That way the dog still has his own special place in your bedroom.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,006,504 times
Thanks everyone!

That's what I was thinking of doing but I wasn't sure if there were other options. I'm definitely NOT interested in lugging a crate up and down the stairs everyday.

Follow-up question: They anticipate he will be about 65lbs full-grown (he's a golden/lab mix and the vet has seen both the mom and dad for size comparison and they were on the smaller side).

What size crate should we be getting for our main crate? I'm thinking of a large Midwest brand crate with the divider panel. Have you all found that the divider panel is helpful or is it flimsy and better to start with the small crate and just upgrade as he grows?

Old 06-21-2010, 03:47 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,237,547 times
I would definitely get one with a divider panel. Crates are expensive, no need to keep replacing! Also, ones with two doors are useful, so you can open the crate no matter where you put it.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:43 PM

5,088 posts, read 12,534,012 times
I too had two crates for Jazz the smaller plastic one was her upstairs bedroom crate and is still where she loves to sleep 14 yrs later! The other is a larger wire folding crate and I used it downstairs for a short time then it went (folded up) under the dog bed in the back of my car as I use it for agility, travel etc. Came in very handy to have when we had the Wilfires and I had to take the dogs to work with me and it was large enough that both Jazz and Dash fit in it together. Thus it stays folded up in the car under the dog bed but always there if and when I need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs