Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 AM

705 posts, read 1,660,861 times

Advertisements

When you give our 2 year old cattle dog a treat, like a slice of chicken, he stars crying and takes the treat and walks away. We have had him 6 months since rescuing him. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:23 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Cattle dogs have alot of weird often funny quirks and that might just be one of his. Maybe it is the fact he loves his treat the anticipation of eating it is just so great to him? My Jazz is a cattle dog X border collie mix and she has tons of quirks, when she anticipates getting something like food or a toy tossed she stomps her feet and whines as the thought of it is just so exciting to her.

The two I know in agility always have a ball in their mouths as they watch the other dogs run and they too are whinning and making rather strange noises and stomping those feet as they are just too excited about it. There is no way they can just stand there quietly and watch like most of the other dogs do.

Their weird quirks are things some peole do not like but I find most of them quite funny so Jazz can always make me laugh.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
when my dave (lab x boxer x ??) has a bone he wants to bury, he runs around the house and yard whining all the while and watching bailey (my cattle dog mix), me and my house mate..... he's so WORRIED that one of us is going to see where he is burying his treasured bone..... he will often times bury it in one spot, go back a little while later and dig it up and rebury it in another until he is satisfied that it is safe......

when bailey, my cattle dog mix, is eating her kibble, she will take a mouthful from the bowl and walk over to the family room floor, drop it and eat it from there..... walk back to the kibble bowl and repeat the process until she is done...... again, i have the sense that she is worried that someone or something is going to steal it from her.....

maybe your pup is worried that someone is going to steal the wonderful treat from him?? i don't know where they get these ideas sometimes..... but they are very real to the dog.....

Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
Whining can also be excitement or anticipation, not just pain or fear. I think he's just happy.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Whining can also be excitement or anticipation, not just pain or fear. I think he's just happy.
That sounds like exactly what happened with Artie today.

We had a visitor this morning -- someone who he LOVES -- and while he was watching her car pull into the driveway, get out of the car, walk up to the door, etc..., he was crying and whining like a baby. (Tears of joy???) He was inconsolable until she got inside where he could love on her.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:47 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Some dogs are very vocal. They will whine, yip, growl, or "woof" when they are excited, happy, playing, or frustrated. My Alaskan Husky mixed female whines all the time when she is happy or excited. She also growls continuously when playing. To an outside observer, it looks and sounds like she is ripping me apart when we play. She attacks me, growling and snarling, but she always play-bites and she is having a great time. Her exicted whining got so bad when I take her in the car that I had to teach her a new command: "Shut up!" That usually works for about 30 seconds.

My Boerboel Mastiff mixed male, on the other hand, only "woofs" when he is frustrated (like when my other dog has a toy that he wants). Other than a frustrated "woof", he never growls, whines, or makes any noise whatsoever. I used to have a Whippet/Lab mixed female who used to purr when you pet her.

It is not the sound they make as much as their demeanor that will give you some indication of what they are feeling.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
when my dave (lab x boxer x ??) has a bone he wants to bury, he runs around the house and yard whining all the while and watching bailey (my cattle dog mix), me and my house mate..... he's so WORRIED that one of us is going to see where he is burying his treasured bone..... he will often times bury it in one spot, go back a little while later and dig it up and rebury it in another until he is satisfied that it is safe......

when bailey, my cattle dog mix, is eating her kibble, she will take a mouthful from the bowl and walk over to the family room floor, drop it and eat it from there..... walk back to the kibble bowl and repeat the process until she is done...... again, i have the sense that she is worried that someone or something is going to steal it from her.....

maybe your pup is worried that someone is going to steal the wonderful treat from him?? i don't know where they get these ideas sometimes..... but they are very real to the dog.....
My dog does the same thing with the kibble, takes a bite, walks to the living room eats the bite after he drops it on the carpet and goes back and does the same thing. Today I cut a hot dog up and offered him 2 pieces , he took them and put them under the couch cover. Maybe his crying is because he wants to bury it somewhere?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:50 PM

360 posts, read 992,810 times
I do the same thing when I get a great piece of cheesecake. Don't worry about it.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookmen View Post
I do the same thing when I get a great piece of cheesecake. Don't worry about it.
I just laughed so hard, I snorted!

Old 06-22-2010, 04:06 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookmen View Post
Do you whine or bury them under the couch cover?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs