U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,783,329 times

Advertisements

Well since I just spent over $1000 for 2 xrays and pulling 4 incisors and stitching up gums..(dog did a number on his mouth in a freak accident) .......it sounds like a downright bargain. of course for another dog a root canal on a damaged canine was $1500 and this one may wind up with that as well due to the impact.........[it is an upper canine. They typically DO root canals on those because of the possible problems with pulling those particular teeth......NOT a cosmetic thing at all]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
location definatly plays a part in it all...
here in CT $400 isnt unsual for a larger breed dog...

ive seen some spay/neuter clinics do fantastic jobs, but ive also seen the work done by regular vets to fix the butcher job done by other clinics, so always try and find reviews from people who have used the specific clinincs in the past.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:42 AM

7,455 posts, read 6,446,546 times
Compared to the expense on the general public for sheltering, feeding, or killing unwanted pets resulting from not altering, it seems a real savings. If you have concerns about the cost, a nearby shelter may help you defray the expense. It's cheaper for them to subsidize (if they have contributions from well-wishers to help), than to have unwanted pups.

Did the breeder not talk with you about total cost of ownership?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 AM

13,779 posts, read 18,685,586 times
Im sorry but to me that is not exspensive , in regards to the op . I agree that it depends on location . im sorry but to me south florida has the most expensive vets and vet care I have ever seen . when my granny lived down there she would tell me some of the costs that she had to pay and i was like wow . I must also agree with another poster who said they would never have a surgery done at petco , I agree .

Old 01-07-2011, 01:00 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,783,329 times
Say thought I would give some numbers since my dog recently had his $1000 surgery (this was emergency but was normal hours at vet no emergency surcharges)-but I forgot while he was under I did a dental cleaning I was going to schedule. (I did not count the routine immunizations, routine exam, and teeth cleaning - the whole bill was $1300)

Complete wellness blood panel superchem, CBC, Urinalysis,Thyroid, and HW test $96.80
IV=26.27
Pre-Anesthesia - 28.01
Anesthesia/op room other charges (dental package but the cleaning was separate)-242.43 which included 90 minutes of isoflurane
Hospital per day $48
Clindamycin (antibiotic) $61

You know there IS a chemical castration protocol for dogs...I don't know of the relative problems but your dog is in the age range for it to work.......for me, I still would choose to wait for the growth plates to close.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs