U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,335,190 times

Advertisements

I have a 5 year old Jack Russell Terrier (JRT) mix and about a month ago he just started whining at night. Every couple of days around bedtime he comes to me and whines. He's not hurt, hungry/thirsty and he doesn't need to go outside. Is he telling me he just wants my attention or he wants to go to bed; or is it something serious I need the vet to check out? He usually calms down if I pet him or show him affection, but I've read when they whine to not show them any attention and that will break the habit. Unfortunately I can't ignore him b/c for one he's annoying and gets in your face, paws at you, whines, etc. and another reason is that he's too cute and I give in...
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 11:16 AM

12,388 posts, read 31,350,745 times
Old Wives Tale! Cripe give him some attention!!

Old 06-23-2010, 12:16 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
agreed .... i think he just wants a little lovin' .....

Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 PM

82 posts, read 380,173 times
I've got one that begs to go to bed every nite at the same time. Too funny, the dog says it's time to go to bed..and I go lol.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:24 PM

8,039 posts, read 3,956,620 times
I agree with giving some attention. My Westie will get right in my face and won't let up until I spend some quality time with her. It's like they are saying "I'm here, look at me, talk to me I will not go away until you give me your undivided attention". Maybe spending a few minutes in the evening before bed in play and cuddling will satisfy the little guy.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:22 PM

386 posts, read 1,166,658 times
I have a pomeranian mix who gets that way also. She will stare me down and keep offering her paw until I give her some attention. I think it is ok to give them attention when they ask - most of the time, but I also think it is important to say 'no' sometimes just so it does not become a habit you cannot break. I don't think anything is wrong with your pup, he is trying to train you!

Old 06-23-2010, 01:30 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,335,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post
I have a pomeranian mix who gets that way also. She will stare me down and keep offering her paw until I give her some attention. I think it is ok to give them attention when they ask - most of the time, but I also think it is important to say 'no' sometimes just so it does not become a habit you cannot break. I don't think anything is wrong with your pup, he is trying to train you!
Haha, he has already trained me! 5 years in the making And I hope I didn't sound like I never give the little rascal attention... That's all he gets!! He literally has me cradle him when I sit in the recliner like he's a baby... Which is exactly what he is; a big baby!!

Old 06-23-2010, 01:39 PM

8,039 posts, read 3,956,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Haha, he has already trained me! 5 years in the making And I hope I didn't sound like I never give the little rascal attention... That's all he gets!! He literally has me cradle him when I sit in the recliner like he's a baby... Which is exactly what he is; a big baby!!
YEP I would say that you have been trainedHe sounds like a real luv bunny. I have always said that in the case of my dogs anyway it"s their world I just live in it!!

Old 06-23-2010, 05:42 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,831,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana C View Post
I've got one that begs to go to bed every nite at the same time. Too funny, the dog says it's time to go to bed..and I go lol.
I agree.. I have a JRT and he will bark at me every night at 9:30 to let me know he wants to go bed.

Silly boy. He just wants attention. If I don't go to bed, he will come lay next to me.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:22 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,079,498 times
My dog used to whine a lot, I think I reinforced it when he was a puppy and gave him attention when he whined. When I sought training (positive) for this they said to obviously ignore him when he whines, like turn my back, cross my arms and look away. They said after a while when he realizes he won't get attention for it, he'll stop. They said to give him attention when he's quiet so I'm rewarding the good behavior. Attention should be on your terms, that was very important. Just be aware that if you start rewarding the whining, the dog will learn to keep doing it because it is the best way to get your attention. Not sure if this is really a training issue for you like it was for me, but I hope this is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs