Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 01:37 AM

449 posts, read 1,698,374 times

Advertisements

Our older dog is having almost chronic ear issues, I check daily and she's fine and then suddenly there's a lot of gunky mess all over her inner ear flap the next day. I'm thinking I just need to give her the drops every day. What I'm trying to find out is a good way to clean up the waxy stuff that's stuck to the fur/skin part. I've used damp cotton pads but because its waxy it doesn't work very well. She's had this problem often over several years in diff. states and diff. diets so I don't think its related to food or other allergies.

Another is that she's been on a mega-diet per our vet - she needed to lose almost 20 lbs and has lost 10 over 2 months. She's doing fabulous on urban wolf (I do adjust the recipe so there's less oil). I've noticed such a significant improvement in her that I hesitate to change foods. I'm hoping I can tweak it so she'll start losing weight again instead of maintaining her current weight. Looking for low-calorie "bulk" to add so she feels full - which I'm hoping will cut out more calories. Eventually I'll switch over to more homemade with a vitamin supplement but for now it would be harder to keep track of calories consumed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 04:09 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
A lot of people here have suggested green beans for losing weight...it makes them feel full but isn't very caloric. Haven't tried it myself, but I know it's worked very well for some...

As for the gunk on the fur issue, maybe try dampening the cotton pads with some witch hazel before wiping? It may cut through the wax, but again I'm no expert...hopefully some people with more experience in these particular issues will jump on here! Good luck!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 06:37 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
cook up a bunch of green beans and cook em fresh I do . no salt and no fat back or bacon or ham . and as for the ear wax issue get mega size of the baby wipes sensitive . I use those on my chihuahuas to clean their eyes especially when they tear up and leak and have also used it to clean their rears when they have had a little bit of a messy poo it works wonderfully .

Old 06-26-2010, 07:17 AM

47 posts, read 161,497 times
The vet gave us an ear solution to squirt into the dogs ears every so often...One is by Virbac Animal Health called Epi-Otic and the other one is DVM OtiCalm Ear Solution. We have these issues with our Vizsla so every so often we squirt this into his ear

Old 06-26-2010, 03:03 PM

449 posts, read 1,698,374 times
Appreciate the suggestions. I tried cut and mashed green beans only she didn't seem to like the texture. It's a good idea and I'm expecting a food processor soon - hopefully if they're more pureed it will work.

I do have drops from the vet though I think I need to be more vigilant about doing it every other day to keep ahead of problems. I'll try the witch hazel and the wipes would be good for cleaning the "other end" too. She's got long fur and even when its clipped there can be poo residue - thanks phonelady
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs