U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:15 PM

490 posts, read 1,596,169 times

Advertisements

This is a recent article I just found. Please accept my apologies if this is similar to any other thread. It is about how the government is studying the possibility of some type of control on puppy mills.

Congress considers cracking down on 'puppy mills' - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20100624/pl_mcclatchy/3547153_1 - broken link)

I think puppy mills should be shut down and be made illegal all together. Regulation won't solve the problem they create. And they should find anyone suspected of BYB activities too. I think fines should start at 5,000 dollars with some of it earmarked for rewarding people who turn BYBs in.

Dog breeding can be such a cruel activity. Even when it is a "reputable" breeder...some times acts of cruelty happen. Today I met the most gorgeous pure bred GSD...only seven months. The owner adopted her from a rescue who got her from a vet. She was left by the breeder there to be put down at the tender age of 5 weeks because she had a heart murmur. The vet told the breeder that she would grow out of it but the criminal said "I can't wait that long". Luckily she was saved but not all dogs in this predicament are.

So, in my opinion, the ones that should be monitored are the legal breeders, puppy mills should be shut down to reduce this ever growing epidemic of animal cruelty and abuse.

JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 09:48 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,133,594 times
The Feds do a poor job at overseeing most things they seek to control, IMO. This should be left to the states to regulate and enforce. Enforcement and meaningful punishment for violations is the key. In hard times people do what is cheap and easy to try to make a buck.

Is the problem really growing or are we just more away of it since the internet age? Are we more aware of it because we now have animal rescue organizations when such beyond the city pound used to be quite rare?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:05 AM

7,545 posts, read 16,362,612 times
Since when have the feds been able to do anything adequately ?
The most the Feds should do is fund State and Local Governments to enforce their own laws IMHO.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 AM

^^^Agree. That is another reason to shut down the mills...the Fed won't do a good job monitoring them anyway so why have them around? Making them illegal is best. Have the legit breeders monitored by their respective state and create some laws such as not putting down puppies for stupid reasons.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,133,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
^^^Agree. That is another reason to shut down the mills...the Fed won't do a good job monitoring them anyway so why have them around? Making them illegal is best. Have the legit breeders monitored by their respective state and create some laws such as not putting down puppies for stupid reasons.
Legit breeders are monitored in many states. In my state it falls under the state department of agriculture. It appears enforcement is the key. To some breeding animals is like breeding/selling any livestock. I can understand both sides. I don't like it but I understand in poor, rural areas this is a means of income for some who have next to nothing themselves. Doesn't make it right, just a fact and a way for them to just get by.

Enforcement and rescue requires financial resources. County sheriff's departments are financially strapped as it is. I suspect state agricultural departments are also facing similar crunches and likely only respond to investigate when reports of neglected animals come in. They simply cannot drive the gravel and dirt roads seeking out these mills.

The geography of my area is hilly with dense foliage. I wasn't even aware that I am moving to an area where there are a number of these "mills" until last winter when all the leaves were off the trees and the cages became visible by just a glimpse as I was driving past. When my move is completed I plan on being a volunteer with the local shelter and finding out with the county vet who helps get shelter animals adopted out more about how I can personally make a difference.

Understanding that we are in tough economic times I think it is up to each of us to do what we can ourselves for those issues we are passionate rather than expecting the federal government to come rushing in and printing money to address a long term but very local problem. Just my opinion.

I have found the people on this forum who are actively involved in rescue an inspiration.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,175,582 times
Originally Posted by ambarstone

I agree but then they'll have to go after each and every Humane Society and such that does put dogs down after only a few days - not because they're sick, but that they "don't have room". I do believe there are some Humane Society groups that have contract/s or agreements with rescue groups.
I'd probably be a hoarder if I saw all those poor dogs that they put down for
that reason.

Support your local "no-kill shelters" and rescue groups

Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Legit breeders are monitored in many states. In my state it falls under the state department of agriculture. It appears enforcement is the key. To some breeding animals is like breeding/selling any livestock. I can understand both sides. I don't like it but I understand in poor, rural areas this is a means of income for some who have next to nothing themselves. Doesn't make it right, just a fact and a way for them to just get by.

Enforcement and rescue requires financial resources. County sheriff's departments are financially strapped as it is. I suspect state agricultural departments are also facing similar crunches and likely only respond to investigate when reports of neglected animals come in. They simply cannot drive the gravel and dirt roads seeking out these mills.

The geography of my area is hilly with dense foliage. I wasn't even aware that I am moving to an area where there are a number of these "mills" until last winter when all the leaves were off the trees and the cages became visible by just a glimpse as I was driving past. When my move is completed I plan on being a volunteer with the local shelter and finding out with the county vet who helps get shelter animals adopted out more about how I can personally make a difference.

Understanding that we are in tough economic times I think it is up to each of us to do what we can ourselves for those issues we are passionate rather than expecting the federal government to come rushing in and printing money to address a long term but very local problem. Just my opinion.

I have found the people on this forum who are actively involved in rescue an inspiration.
_____
I commend you for your interest to make a difference and wish you luck.
I, too, have found this Forum an inspiration. I was about to buy a dog from a BYB but after I started to read posts here, I went the adoption way. My puppy came from Arkansas, rescued from a puppy mill. She would have been put to sleep because her GSD ears are not perfect (they are weak).

One day I hope to make a difference too by offering foster sanctuary to dogs in need. In the meantime, I am happy to have the government print money and try to address the problem (even though I know they won't do a great job). I rather the money to be spent helping dogs than helping huge corporations anytime.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,790,466 times
i think any law that regulates puppy mills and byb's in ANY manner is a good thing.... maybe enforcement will not be what we wish it was.... but when one DOES get busted, there will at least be a law with a specific (and hopefully pretty harsh) punishment attached......

if a breeder can not provide adequate space, shelter, food, exercise and vet care, as well as appropriate rest between breeding cycles, they have NO BUSINESS being responsible for animals..... reputable breeders would have nothing to worry about because they are already providing for the health and well being of their dogs or cats or whatever they are breeding......

now i know there is and will be debate about what defines "adequate." ..... but even people who don't otherwise give a rat's behind about dogs or cats or other pets recognize horrendous conditions when they see them.....

Old 06-25-2010, 02:41 PM

3,592 posts, read 10,655,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Dog breeding can be such a cruel activity. Even when it is a "reputable" breeder...some times acts of cruelty happen. Today I met the most gorgeous pure bred GSD...only seven months. The owner adopted her from a rescue who got her from a vet. She was left by the breeder there to be put down at the tender age of 5 weeks because she had a heart murmur. The vet told the breeder that she would grow out of it but the criminal said "I can't wait that long".
I hear ya on that! My Chessie was dumped at a shelter at 7 months old by a BYB because she had entropian and he wasn't able to sell her

I would certainly support any control/laws that they put into place if it moves to shut these places down! They will need to start by defining what a puppy mill is. You can't control it until you define it. Thats one of the ways this scum have gotten around the weak laws that are in place. All they have to say is "I'm not a puppy mill" and there is no one that can dispute that in a court of law.

Thanks for sharing this!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,506,993 times
I'd be doing a serious happy dance if puppymills were finally made illegal...and that's a great idea about fining and reporting BYB's too. My BF has a white boxer that was dumped because she has uneven nipples, and we think they were also probably afraid she would be deaf because apparently albino boxers sometimes are, but she's not. Sweetest dog EVER, very smart, and truly a blessing in our lives...I still can't believe these breeders actually dump or kill perfectly sweet, great-looking dogs based on such silly and superficial criteria! If I had a penny for every person that approached us because they want to mate their males with her...uh, NO...not going there, we're not breeders and we'll leave that science to those who know how to do it properly, and who are doing so purely for the betterment of the breed, thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or