Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times

Advertisements

I am not going into another long discussion on bark collars but several of us use them and there are multiple threads on this.

--if you use one, buy a good one -- I have a Dogtra, and I think the Petsafe mutli - level one is fine (I have one of those too). Only use one that requires noise and vibration to set it off and one that has multiple stim levels.

I had a bad experience with a tritronics reshocking on the yelp but that was an older one and they may have that worked out now. Yes my dog was traumatized after repeated stims with the tritronics (it took me 30 seconds to get to her and yank off the collar) for about 15 minutes, then she realized the collar was off and started barking again - My Petsafe and Dogtra do not reshock on the yelp.

--Try training not to bark first - it is always best to use the ecollar as your last resort. I have one of those dogs and she wears the collar.

--Consider that for a dog whose sense of smell is as important to them than vision is to us, that perhaps a strong odor may be more "cruel" than a microsecond shock.

---Listen to jimbob -- Agree with everything he said in his post --- I am so not used to dogs who have never faced a correction for inappropriate behavior.

Be prepared for everyone to climb out of the woodwork proclaiming them to be cruel torture devices. And for you to be a bad dog owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:19 AM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Give me a break We adopted this dog when he was about 1 year old, we have had him for 6 years and he is the best of our three dogs. He is trained - he heels, does your typical dog tricks, lays down on command, etc. etc. He is also a very lovable dog who we love and he loves us. His ONLY problems are 1. with strangers - he is very terrified at first, but usually warms up in a few minutes to an hour and 2. His barking while loose in the fenced yard. BTW - I am an SPCA volunteer, as are the rest of my family and one of our best friends is an SPCA trainer and psychologist - she is quite pleased with how this dog has transformed into a wonderful pet and companion OHHHH - and guess what?? SHE uses electronic collars on dogs she is training with barking problems
She has already suggested we get an e-collar, but I am uneasy about it - and if I wasn't worried about someone calling the law or the HOA, I wouldn't have any problem with his barking at all.
So in conclusion - I believe I will ignore your cyber posts and keep my dog
Anti-bark collars are punishment devices and are not recommended as a first choice for dealing with a barking problem. This is especially true for barking that’s motivated by fear, anxiety or compulsion. Before using an anti-bark collar, please see our article, Finding Professional Help, for information about finding a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist, a board-certified veterinary behaviorist or a qualified Certified Professional Dog Trainer for guidance.

This is from the ASPCA website. Your dog needs a behaviorist, not an e-collar. Moreover, I would be wary of any trainer that uses such collars to train. Truly effective trainers don't use such devices b/c they address the cause of the issue rather than the issue. Furthermore, just b/c one trainer advised you to use the collar does not mean that she is right.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:11 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
--Consider that for a dog whose sense of smell is as important to them than vision is to us, that perhaps a strong odor may be more "cruel" than a microsecond shock.
I've never thought about it that way before. That's actually kinda' profound...

Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
You can't blow sunshine up a dog's butt its whole life until it truly believes that it poops ice cream no matter what it is doing and then expect good results when you suddenly and without explanation introduce a significant negative. That's seriously messed up.
I tried to rep you for this post but I have to spread it around a bit first.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:17 PM

577 posts, read 1,758,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Anti-bark collars are punishment devices and are not recommended as a first choice for dealing with a barking problem. This is especially true for barking that’s motivated by fear, anxiety or compulsion. Before using an anti-bark collar, please see our article, Finding Professional Help, for information about finding a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist, a board-certified veterinary behaviorist or a qualified Certified Professional Dog Trainer for guidance.

This is from the ASPCA website. Your dog needs a behaviorist, not an e-collar. Moreover, I would be wary of any trainer that uses such collars to train. Truly effective trainers don't use such devices b/c they address the cause of the issue rather than the issue. Furthermore, just b/c one trainer advised you to use the collar does not mean that she is right.

Yea I have to agree.. I'm a volunteer at the local SPCA and they would NEVER employ a trainer that suggests a e-collar... nor would a behaviorist or trainer deem a dog with barking problems "untrainable" Find another trainer who is not a "friend" and work with your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs