U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,568,686 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. MAK I'm printing that info and bringing it to the vet this week. They can't get them in until the first week of July, so it'll give them plenty time to read it over really well!!

I've had dogs with food allergies. My rotties seemed to all have some degree of food allergies and most of them had flea allergies too. Funny how the 'tough' dogs seem to have the most sensitivity. The last pittie I adopted out had a mega sensitive stomach!

Oh - and if I hadn't mentioned, I think we have our first approved adoption! I'm not sure which of the girls they'll pick, but they're in Columbus, GA and have an EBD that they refer to as their only child and they're looking for a second. No children, but he has a 9 year old daughter from a previous marriage. Both girls love kids. We had several kids get in the pens with them yesterday and they just crawled all over them and gave them tons of kisses. I think they'd be happy being spoiled all week and sharing the house with a 9 year old every other weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 AM

13,555 posts, read 22,829,897 times
It is a pain when you buy the flea meds and they don't work. I put frontline Plus on my crew and they are still having scratching.

I know others have said Frontline doesn't work in their areas. I have ordered Advantage as it seemed to work OK last time. I wish I could afford Cortis but for 7 dogs it is expensive.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 06-28-2010, 11:02 AM

5,045 posts, read 8,343,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post

I know others have said Frontline doesn't work in their areas.
Last year, several of my friends' dogs had fleas. Every single one of those dogs was on Frontline. My vet said that fleas are becoming immune to Frontline and he doesn't recommend it at all, especially for an area that has them year-round. PC was near those dogs when they were infested, since we had no idea yet, and didn't get any on him. He's on a small-dose of Revolution (much smaller than his weight dosage) and only gets it 4x/year vs. monthly. Not a single flea issue here, even when directly exposed to the fleas.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 AM

7,689 posts, read 8,944,767 times
my stomach drops a bit every time i read of frontline not working anymore.... frontline plus is still working very well for us and i hope it continues to do so.....

Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 PM

5 posts, read 19,494 times
Try promeris for fleas it also helps there skin..has been proven to help dogs with skin problems also use maloseb shampoo to help with the dogs itching.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 PM

3,388 posts, read 8,039,014 times
I had very good results with benedryl when I dosed appropriately (that is I was not giving enough) - look the dose is NOT just once a day - it is 1-2 mg a lb every 8 hours so I gave 75mg to my 50lb dog twice a day (but you could go up to 100mg, 3 times a day) and it really helped. This is after spending $600 at the vet on steroids, etc. and not wanting to go back again to drain my wallet. Benedryl is CHEAP and safe (buy the store brand)

Obviously getting rid of the fleas was the biggie (and it was fleas), but I also put her on Natural Balance LID and think that also helped.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 PM

21,278 posts, read 5,182,606 times
I have been using Comfortis on my Corgi mixes (pluralized it because I started using on both of them when Brownie was still alive) and I've used it with the Paps and had no problems. It's good for 30 days, it's one pill, and none of them have had any side effects.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:34 PM

43,017 posts, read 49,470,357 times
My dog is terribly allergic to fleas and ragweed. Every September he needs to be put on steroids.

Even with using the best flea prevention, the ragweed still makes him miserable and I'm sure the random fleas bite him before they die.

This year, I'm trying a prescription allergy medication before symptoms appear because Benedryl doesn't work for him.

I'm picking it up at the vet's on Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed. It can't be good for him to go on steroids once a year so I want to avoid that this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs