Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:46 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I appreciate the feedback but retrievers and spaniels are entirely different breeds. Poodles would probably make as good a comparison.
http://www.lakelandhuntingpoodles.co...202007%202.jpg

Funny you should say that... There is the same schism between working poodles and conformation poodles.

You're right, I'm not a Spaniel guy but my knee-jerk is usually to caution people away from working lines if they aren't going to be worked. Obviously, lots of people do it without any problems and my gut says that you're probably one of them but you can still be certain that the workin' dawg is a different animal whether it's a poodle, lab, golden, hound, shepherd or spaniel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 07:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
http://www.lakelandhuntingpoodles.co...202007%202.jpg

Funny you should say that... There is the same schism between working poodles and conformation poodles.

You're right, I'm not a Spaniel guy but my knee-jerk is usually to caution people away from working lines if they aren't going to be worked. Obviously, lots of people do it without any problems and my gut says that you're probably one of them but you can still be certain that the workin' dawg is a different animal whether it's a poodle, lab, golden, hound, shepherd or spaniel.
Funny you should say that. I was going to suggest people stay away from the bench bred unless they were going to show or were rescuing an abandoned one with the awareness it could one day, without warning, show the rage syndrome.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:21 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Had a neighbor who was fairly well known in the hunting ESS world, he bred and competed. Was pretty responsible as far as that world goes. Another neighbor also had hunting ESS' and a couple of other breeds. I home socialized one of his puppies for a couple of weeks. I don't know whether it was his line or the fact that most hunting dog breeders use kennels a lot but his dogs didn't seem to be able to be house-trained to a high reliability. Almost all the hunting ESS I met (his and others) had been bred to be basically a hunting machine. Its hard for me to explain, its like there isn't a dog in there, its just......obsessive instinct with a lot of energy. If not in hunting training mode they were just sort of.....blond Sweet but too manic to really be able to listen to you. Like ADD kids.
My suggestion would be to find one that has been a house dog since a puppy. I do think this makes a big difference. Being kenneled to much really seems to fry their brains over time. A puppy raised inside around people will probably be an easier more reliable pet.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Had a neighbor who was fairly well known in the hunting ESS world, he bred and competed. Was pretty responsible as far as that world goes. Another neighbor also had hunting ESS' and a couple of other breeds. I home socialized one of his puppies for a couple of weeks. I don't know whether it was his line or the fact that most hunting dog breeders use kennels a lot but his dogs didn't seem to be able to be house-trained to a high reliability. Almost all the hunting ESS I met (his and others) had been bred to be basically a hunting machine. Its hard for me to explain, its like there isn't a dog in there, its just......obsessive instinct with a lot of energy. If not in hunting training mode they were just sort of.....blond Sweet but too manic to really be able to listen to you. Like ADD kids.
My suggestion would be to find one that has been a house dog since a puppy. I do think this makes a big difference. Being kenneled to much really seems to fry their brains over time. A puppy raised inside around people will probably be an easier more reliable pet.
My 1st field bred ESS was a rescue who had appeard to have been tied at the end of a rope until he broke loose and was picked up as a stray. When I adopted him he was 9 mos. old and was housetrained within a couple of days. He was however, a velcro Springer with an obsessive need to please. I've witnessed dogs who are constantly kennelled and not let out for regular exercise several times each day. The ADD comment could be made of any working dog breed that is kenneled with too little attention/training and exercise, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs