U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:19 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,128,916 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for your comments. I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse right now but thought it might be good to go ahead and trench the fencing into place before I pick up the pups in August.

NCPUPLOVE, sad story about your landscaper's golden. I suspect if anyone wants to steal dogs or anything else from my property that they will choose a time when they won't be looking down the barrel of a firearm. I won't be leaving the dogs in the yard when I am off property. Truth is they will probably go most places with me as have all my furbabies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 07:57 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,606,530 times
my son used the invisible fence with great results if he plants a flower garden he places the training flags around it and the dogs remember what the flags mean and wont enter.to me it is a lazy way to train your dog, but it is a efficient and fast way to train your dogs

Old 07-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
my son used the invisible fence with great results if he plants a flower garden he places the training flags around it and the dogs remember what the flags mean and wont enter.to me it is a lazy way to train your dog, but it is a efficient and fast way to train your dogs
It would also appear it may be effective.
Flexibility of placement is one of the reasons I am considering this type of containment system.

Lazy? Really? How so? The manual with this product shows a 30-day training program.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:21 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,606,530 times
my son used it.........point made!

Old 07-05-2010, 05:32 AM

7,478 posts, read 6,455,449 times
I am not a fan of any invisible dog fences. Too often I've been challenged by dogs inside of invisible fences, and cannot possibly know whether the way is safe, or not. Not everyone keeps the signs posted, but even with the sign, there is no way of knowing if the fence is activated, or expired.

In general, I don't like our reliance on unmonitored gadgets to do our work for us.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
does the fence manufacturer or retailer offer any training materials or guidelines??

p.s. ..... congrats on the new babies!! we will be expecting pictures VERY soon after you get them home .... i would be delighted to help you out with posting again......
Thank you for the offer to post photos. If I can't figure out how by then I'll likely take you up on your offer.

Yes, there is an online training manual that I need to read. My boyfriend purused it quickly and didn't see anything about minimum recommended training age. The beginner puppy obedience DVD's seem to take the dogs through to 6 mos. and with the recommendation of the previous poster this makes sense. If I cannot find the age recommendation in the manual I'll consult my vet and/or the manufacturer.

I didn't use an additional containment system at the farm with my other boys and I often thought I should have. It was nice to have them follow me about while I mowed but sometimes they went exploring (on property) or chasing animals when I wished they had not. So, this time I'm trying to be a better dog Mom this time and learn from my previous errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or