U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:08 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,603,766 times

Advertisements

I would save the xanax for yourself,if dogs were treated like dogs there would be no need for drugging your dog .I would prescribe a long walk to tire the dog out before you leave the house. and if you cant wake up an hr Early to walk your dog......maybe you shouldn't own one.
dogs need to be walked period not let out into the back yard to run they need the discipline of a walk following you not stopping to sniff every 10 ft.. but a walk with you leading the way.
but then again I dont bake birthday cakes for my dog either sooooo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:17 AM

7,458 posts, read 6,447,750 times
I would try to avoid drugging my dog, unless it is to treat an illness. It sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things, and your pup is still just a pup -- a very bored pup.

From my limited understanding, I believe that the breed you have is very intelligent. It reads as though he's working out its problem solving skills, because the occupations you've provided are not sufficient to his needs.

Is he house-broken? If so, can you put him in a larger area, like a kennel? If so, you might be able to set up some means of putting those skills to other uses.

Also, I understand that herding dogs can be pleasantly occupied with watching over another animal of any kind. They just need to "babysit." Is he socialized to other animals enough that you could set him up with a charge to watch over? Are there other pets in your neighborhood that might like to become play dates?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:37 AM

533 posts, read 1,637,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I would save the xanax for yourself,if dogs were treated like dogs there would be no need for drugging your dog .I would prescribe a long walk to tire the dog out before you leave the house. and if you cant wake up an hr Early to walk your dog......maybe you shouldn't own one.
dogs need to be walked period not let out into the back yard to run they need the discipline of a walk following you not stopping to sniff every 10 ft.. but a walk with you leading the way.
but then again I dont bake birthday cakes for my dog either sooooo!!
You may not have read my posts all the way or you would know that I do walk my dog. 7am and 7pm we take long walks/runs around the hood. We're almost ready to add dog parks to the mix, but has a few more days on meds for a parasite he had from the shelter. He is not "let out" into our yard because it is not completely fenced (gotta jump through hoops with the HOA before that will happen). So for now we do walks and we use the yard for potty breaks on a leash. And at this point I do feel like I need a Xanax!

As for the other posters, yes, he's a smart pup. We train every day. Right now he almost has Sit, Down, and Stay! We are working through the book "101 Dog Tricks" and he enjoys training as he loves the bits of hot dogs, cheese, and carrots he gets during that time! He could never be in a kennel outside as we live in SC and it's HOT during the summer which is why we don't do mid-day walks, too. I am still entertaining the kitchen idea but ONLY if we do many fake leaves and spy on him through the window. Any sign of attempts to do damage and we would have to go back to the crate for his safety and our sanity. I'm still contemplating the Xanax simply because while I will be spending A LOT of time working with him since I have the next month off, I do need to have time for me to go to the gym, food shop, and maybe steal an hour or two by the pool. But I can't go anywhere, let alone the pool to relax, knowing how bad he gets. I think the meds and some behavior mod may help. I was just wondering if anyone else here had tried the medicine and could share their experiences. Thanks all!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:03 AM

848 posts, read 1,675,325 times
#1 Suggestion is to hire a behaviorist.

In the meantime, here are some good reads:

What's worrying the modern dog? | Dog Time - How to treat anxiety in today's dogs

Dog Separation Anxiety - Training Your Dog To Cope With Separation

<> DIAMONDS in the RUFF - Separation Anxiety <>

Stress and Anxiety in Dogs | Separation Anxiety, Noise Anxiety, Social Anxiety

Old 06-30-2010, 11:07 AM

577 posts, read 1,578,560 times
At least try Rescue Remedy before you resort to Xanax, it's natural and has really helped a lot of pet owners. I do rescue and see great results with it all the time. It's @ $10 for a bottle with a dropper, you just put a few drops on a treat.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:29 AM

Helpful links, thanks!

I'm gonna take a ride (with my pup) to a local pet store this afternoon. I called and they do carry it Rescue Remedy. I'll try that a few days and see if there is any difference. Today I had him in there with a kong and practices going in and out each exit and in other rooms. He cried each time, but little by little he didn't cry as soon as I got to the other side of the door or behind a wall. When he could go 5-10 secs I would give him a treat. we did this for 15 mins. He was still high stressed the whole time, panting and drooling. Maybe this weekend we'll get a gate for the kitchen and try that. I talked to a behaviorist by phone, the only one I could find online in Charlotte, and he suggested I get a pen for the yard since it's not fence in as he said he needs to run around more, for several hours at a time, and recommended getting fully fenced. I do want to fence the yard completely, but that will take a while with the HOA. He said more exercise and keep doing what i am doing and to not let him be in charge of anything. Nothing exceptionally helpful as I have read all that online already. I think it's just gonna take time. Thanks!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,645,293 times
You seem to be on the right road! Education (for you) and training (for your pup) Good luck!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Glimmer of Hope!

I was able to "fake leave" several times today and leave Chase free from his crate. He would cry for maybe 2-3 mins and stop. The longest I sat in the garage (after opening and closing the door) was 25 mins! Big differnece than non-stop int he crate. I came into the house to a calm Chase lounging on the floor. Now, I did give him that Rescue Remedy stuff, so I don't know if it's that he just hates the crate or if that stuff is magic (prob just the crate or maybe a combo), but I am hopeful. As soon as my BF gets home I will go to Walmart and get a tall gate for the kitchen. Until then I will make the kitchen the funnest place to be ever! The kitchen isn't a large room, but at least there's no furniture and it's wood flooring. I can't give him run of the house at his age, not even just the downstairs. Too many hazzards for him (not to mention expensive items that need not be chewed). Hopefully the kitchen will work out!!! Thanks all for the advice!

Old 07-01-2010, 12:36 PM

1,422 posts, read 4,616,871 times
I think the actions you are taking are great. Like crating him while you're home, and practicing the coming and going, etc. Make the crate an awesome place, throwing random treats in there that he can find when you're home. At some point you will catch him snooping around in there looking for goodies.

I think giving Xanax a try would be fine (obviously working with your vet regarding dosage). If you give it to him like a half hour before you have to leave so that it's already working (this is key), then crate him and leave (you can practice with fake leaving for short periods), I bet it would really help the dog to adjust. And then when he has learned that it's not the end of the world when you leave, stop the xanax.

I once had a dog that I left in the kitchen because of "crate guilt". She ate the wall in the kitchen (I came home and she had eaten throught he drywall). She also ate the baseboards.

There's a behaviorist (DVM) named Gerrard Flannagan if it turns into an unresolvable problem. He works out of Greensboro and Huntersville.

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post

I once had a dog that I left in the kitchen because of "crate guilt". She ate the wall in the kitchen (I came home and she had eaten throught he drywall). She also ate the baseboards.
I am nervous about this, too. I've read about all the damage dogs can do in a short amount of time and talked to a behaviorist about it. But if he doesn't show signs of anxiety when not in the crate and alone, couldn't that mean he would do fine? 25mins alone in the crate would create puddles of drool, chewed metal, puke, and excessive panting and crying. 25 mins of outside the crate today created 2 mins of soft crying (not the typical panic crying) and a mellow pup. The thing is, while I wouldlove for him to be crate trained, come August I do NOT want to leave him in his crate all day when we go to work. Just not fair to him. So we were planning on the kitchen by then so we'd just be starting a few weeks early. I'm just hoping he does OK with it. I'll try the Rescue Remedy as needed and I ordered the Thundershirt. Not sold on the Xanax at this point, maybe if he can't do the kitchen. Being from a rescue and given that he was dropped off there with his litter by mystery people that shot one of the pups in the eye with a BB gun, who knows what bad experiences he may have had in a crate/confined space in the past. Perhaps that's part of it, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or