Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times

Advertisements

Hope everyone can follow me as I explain our questions (lol)!

We have two dogs that have been microchipped with Bayer's ResQ at approximately $60 each (includes lifetime registration with Petlink database). We took our cats to a low-cost microchip clinic and had them chipped with 24 Hour Pet Watch for $20 each (includes lifetime registration with 24 Hour Pet Watch database).

In our area, the shelters and most vets have microchip scanners that are universal scanners by Bayer ResQ. For an additional small fee of $11-15 we can dually register our cats microchips with Petlink (the company that manages ResQ's microchip database)...even though 24 Hour Pet Watch has free registration.

Why would we want to pay money to have our cats registered with another company? We like Petlink's Data Base (ResQ Chip's data base) and feel it is more thorough and includes the ability to upload a photo of the pet, include several phone numbers to reach us in case of a missing pet vs. only two phone numbers on the other data base, a place to put down special markings and health issues and all this information is accessible to those who scan the chip and call into Petlink.

Ok, here are some of our questions... We are looking to microchip our newest dog (pics to come in another thread). Should we microchip with the cheaper option and pay an additional fee to have her registered with our preferred data base? Should we just pay the money and have her microchipped with ResQ like our other dogs?

BUT, here's the real dilemma at least in my head...if we have a microchip dually registered, how do we know that the preferred data base company will be the information that pops up on the microchip scanner? Can any of you who volunteer or work with shelters answer this for us?

I really hope I was able to make sense to someone other than myself (lol)! Sorry for any confusion but feedback is definitely appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
I think I know what you mean. When I found a stray, the vet scanned him and knew exactly which company he was microchipped with. All the companies have unique numbers that no other company shares. I think if you dually register, the company that placed the chip will pop up, since it is a unique number to their company. Their chip is in there, and it is their identifying number. Sounds like the purpose of the other one will be to the email alerts, etc., kind of like what Home Again does.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
That's exactly what I was thinking...

Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
I have a dog with 2 chips as had international chip when shipped to me and My vet could not get the info just showed had a chip, hers is not a universal scanner like pound has. I have 3 dogs chipped and now registration is gone I sent money and all but they are no where in data base then tell me send more money. I am all for the chipping but make sure get reliable company as for some of mine vet is only one that has chip numbers. Home again is the one that lost em and expects more money..

I do get the alerts from home again for lost pets in area though.

I am just ready buy microchips online and do my own and have them in a national registry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs