Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 05:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
SS are 1 of the hardest breeds to housetrain!!
I hadn't heard that before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
My ESS was a easy trainer for potty also and only 1 time a night for first month and she was trained to stay in kitchen not in a kennel but she held until let her out at night. If had to go before then would hear her whine. My bloodhounds on the other hand are a pain in the butt when potty training but I start at 5 weeks getting them going to doggie door and out.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:04 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Compare ESS to Shelties that seem to be born house trained LOL ESS ARE hard to train. My gf had 20 while they were great in field & not bad in obedience Not 1 was trustworthy in her house! Some never while a few still had mistakes 1 or 2 times a week.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:35 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Compare ESS to Shelties that seem to be born house trained LOL ESS ARE hard to train. My gf had 20 while they were great in field & not bad in obedience Not 1 was trustworthy in her house! Some never while a few still had mistakes 1 or 2 times a week.
I wonder if it has to do with Field vs. Show ESS? I'm getting a show EES. The breeder has shavings down in one area where the puppies are kept, and the puppies are already using that area as their "bathroom". In one week I will find out, as that's when I pick her up.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:58 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
My friends dogs...most had titles in all 3! This was Decades ago befor there was seperation of breed/field & obedience. She wouldnt even Think of breeding her dogs till they had ALL titles!!
BTW has the breeder you are getting your puppy from told you about Springer Rage?? IF not I advise you to look into it!

Old 07-04-2010, 04:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I wonder if it has to do with Field vs. Show ESS? I'm getting a show EES. The breeder has shavings down in one area where the puppies are kept, and the puppies are already using that area as their "bathroom". In one week I will find out, as that's when I pick her up.
My rescue ESS (field) was easy to housetrain, though not a puppy (9mos) he had never been in a house to the best of my knowledge (rope burn about neck when rescued from pound).

IIRC when my lab was 8 wks I let him out 2-3 times during the night. Of course I woke up when he moved and needed to go out because I let him sleep in bed with me from the start. I'm going to try to exhibit more self-control this time (but don't hold me to it).

I'll be a new ESS (field) mom in a little over a month. I'll be crating them during the night where they are easy to take outside. Since it has been nearly 13 yrs. since I had a puppy I think this time I'll purchase a baby monitor to place near the crate. This way I'll know when they wake up and start whining in the middle of the night and hopefully I can get them outside in time to reward them for going outside to potty and for waking me when they need to "go".

Old 07-05-2010, 09:51 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Maybe we were just lucky with our first two dogs?
Maybe. Could also be that they were licking to "recycle." I know, nasty. Dogs not allowed to use the facilities as needed will clean up their leavings.

Give them a break. It's a small price to pay for a long-term investment.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:20 AM

1 posts, read 769 times
I started making my 12 weeks old puppy hold it for 8 hours or else he would get a good beating. He's been good after the second night.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:34 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
We have raised 4 dogs from puppy-hood.

The large breeds (Labs) couldn't hold it through the night until they were 6 months.
The two toy breeds (Yorkie-poos) held their pee all night from the day we brought them home. One was 7 weeks, the other was 9 weeks. (By making it through the night, I mean from 11pm to 6am)

You'd think that the larger breeds with larger bladders would be able to hold it longer but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm thinking that this has something to do with it??? The large breeds slept in crates, the toy breeds slept with us on our bed.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:32 AM

768 posts, read 859,614 times
Not if you go to bed at 9 and get up at 7.....they are puppies, give them a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs