U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 PM

32 posts, read 39,852 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Today I emailed out breeder to see what food she had the puppies on so I could pick up a bag before Saturday. I was a bit shocked when her answer was "They are on Purina One Puppy. The more expensive one that list chicken as first ingredient"

I went to the food analysis board to look it up but really couldn't since I did not know the exact name of the food. However I read through all the Purina's listed and found that they all were not recommended.

So my search begins for a new food for the new pup. I have read threw many of the threads on here on food and am actually quite interested in the CostCo/Kirkland brand (TOTW knock off).

Our puppy is a Wheaten and everything we have read about them talks about the fact that they are prone to allergies and a lamb and rice formula is usually a good option. The parents of our puppy have no stomach issues and according to the breeder no real skin allergies either. I spoke to my neighbor down the street who has an 8 year old Wheaten who has an extremely sensitive stomach. She has him on Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance Duck & Sweet Potatoe with great success.

Can anyone recommend a good puppy food for our soon to be (saturday) new baby?

Does the Kirkland/Costco brand come in puppy formula?

Our CostCo is 30 minutes away but I would gladly drive there for a decent food at a reasonable price. I'm thinking of just driving up there tomorrow when I am out picking up the Purina (which I will need to wheen the pup over to a new food anyway) to check out what our location offers.

Thought I would ask here first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,429,036 times
The food you're talking about is not the regular Costco Kirkland food, which by the way rates only 3 stars on DFA. It is called Nature's Domain and currently available only in select market. It is a knockoff of TOTW, with almost identical ingredients and made by the same company (Diamond). It's formulated for all life stages, so it's totally fine for a puppy. While there are no reviews yet for this food, I have a feeling it will be around 5 stars once they get around to doing the research. TOTW rates 5 and 6, depending on the formula.

I'm not a fan of Natural Balance, personally, especially with yet another very recent recall. If you can find the Nature's Domain (call first, since it is a drive), I'd go with that. The bags are huge and will probably last you at least a month, if not longer, for the first few months. Here's a link to the food:

Nature's Domain Pet Food | About Nature's Domain

If you want other recs, I'm a huge, huge fan of Orijen. They have two puppy formulas-large and small breed. They have never had a recall, use only regional ingredients and do not import vitamins. As far as kibble companies go, Champion Pet Foods is the only one I trust. Acana is the only other food they make. Good luck finding a food that works!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 PM

32 posts, read 39,852 times
Thanks Mak do you know if a fish/salmon and potatoe food is good for allergies?

Okay here is a silly question.....upon reading your recommendation for Orijen you say they have a small or large breed puppy food. What if you have a medium breed dog? LOL! Do you buy the small breed or the large breed?

When reading some past threads on dog food someone mentioned that large breed dogs should actually be kept on small breed puppy food for their first year so they don't grow fast (better for hips and joints) I don't know if this is true but assuming it is then should a medium breed dog be on a small food too?

This gets really confusing!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,429,036 times
The most common allergen is chicken, from my experience. Many dogs are put on a fish diet when they have allergies, at least I know this to be very common in Bulldogs. Just about every Bulldog I know is on a fish formula and it works very well.

The only reason Orijen separated their puppy food is because some people believe that high protein in large breeds contributes to rapid growth. The small breed and large breed have identical ingredients but different protein levels. There are studies arguing both sides of this.

But, I'm personally against all puppy foods. If you read ingredients of any company's puppy food vs. "adult" food, you will see that in most cases they are identical. The puppy food is just much more expensive. My Bulldog (47 lbs. now, fully grown) ate Orijen's regular food since 8 weeks and grew up just fine. Here is an article from the Dog Food Project's site (another awesome food site you should look at when you have time) about the marketing behind puppy foods. If you're on Facebook, I would "Like" their page as well, since they are first to alert of any recalls.

"Dogs need a food product appropriate for their life stages
This is what pet food manufacturers want you to believe, but it is just a way to secure their customer base early on and increase sales. The more items in a particular line of food, the higher the visibility of their product on a store shelf - an of course the more likely people are to buy and stick with the brand through the whole life of the animal. Fact is that a food declared as suitable "for all lifestages" will feed a growing puppy just as well as a lactating *****, an adult or a senior dog - just the amounts you have to feed will change. Puppy and senior food is often more expensive than the regular type of food of the same brand, yet does not differ much in nutritional value. Compare the guaranteed analysis and ingredient list.

Further, puppy food can cause large and giant breed puppies to grow at maximum rate, which is not healthy for them. A slower, more even growth results in far less risk of orthopedic problems and a healthier adult dog"

The Dog Food Project - Myths about Dog Nutrition

Old 07-01-2010, 01:49 AM

73 posts, read 190,548 times
If you are looking for a good lamb formula I would suggest Solid Gold's Hund-n-Flocken. It comes in Puppy and Adult formula. They get a great rating on dog food analysis and are in my puppy's rotation. It is available at Petco which is convenient to me, but I don't know if you have one in your area.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:14 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,833,735 times
Over the years I know a lot of folks who work dogs, train dogs and use Pro Plan and ONE etc, Nutro, etc. (IOW-just one step above grocery store). They have long lived healthy dogs because the dogs are active. Seriously, the longer I know folks who are really into dogs and have been for years, the less militant see many of them being about dog food, relying more on their personal observations than internet rating sites.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:04 AM

13,826 posts, read 18,824,106 times
I m with mak on this one cause I am now feeding my chis orijen and they really like it and they like it dry and that is not something that is acheived around here very often . so it makes me feel better that they will eat it , if I leave it out .

Old 07-01-2010, 07:13 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,439,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Over the years I know a lot of folks who work dogs, train dogs and use Pro Plan and ONE etc, Nutro, etc. (IOW-just one step above grocery store). They have long lived healthy dogs because the dogs are active. Seriously, the longer I know folks who are really into dogs and have been for years, the less militant see many of them being about dog food, relying more on their personal observations than internet rating sites.
There are battalions of healthy, long-lived, well campaigned retrievers that have never eaten anything other than Pro Plan. Another name that comes up a lot is Eagle Packs. Pro-Plan is actually a pretty decent food for a hard working dog, particularly if you have to feed an entire kennel and the extra $20/bag for something like EVO becomes very significant. I probably would have stayed with it if the stools weren't so nasty and I had a kennel with a septic tank.

On the other hand, the people who feed, for example, Purina performance foods can be extremely resistive to the idea that a dog could have an allergy to the venerable Pro Plan when the last dog they had lived to be 15 without any problems. If you try to suggest that it may be a food allergy then you are obviously "one of these stupid hippies".

Old 07-01-2010, 07:23 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,487,644 times
I like Petsmart's house brand Authority; great ingredient list. Somehow I always get a dog that is sensitive to chicken so I use lamb

Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 AM

533 posts, read 1,642,106 times
About how much does a 30 pound bag of Nature's Domain cost? We were looking into Taste of the Wild, but would be interested in finding an inexpensive alternative. But we don't belong to Costco, so I'm not sure it would be worth it to join for that or just get TOTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs