Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 21,218 times

Advertisements

My chihuahua sounds like he cant catch his breath makes me feel so bad what can I do he starts coughing and it looks like he cant breath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 02:55 PM

26,804 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Have you considered going to the vet?

Old 07-02-2010, 02:58 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,366,226 times
It can be a reverse sneeze which is not uncommon and harmless, it happens sometimes in small breeds, you can put your finger over his nostrils and it'll force him to breathe from his mouth and it should clear up, you can also stroke his neck and that might help. It could also be something serious, you dont walk him w/ a collar, do you?, a harness is much better, much less strain on his trachea. You didnt give his age, if he's older it c/b a heart problem - ?? - anyway you might post this on the Pet (Dog) section at the bottom of C-D for other opinions - hope this helps.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:34 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,044,941 times
Is it a cough or a snorting sound?

Has he been to the vet recently?

Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times
since I have chihuahuas I feel like I can ring in here . sounds like to me it is a collapsed trachea and just rub his neck under neath and it seems to go away after that and yes I had to take mine to the vet to find out that is what it was , good luck .

Old 07-02-2010, 08:51 PM

293 posts, read 1,031,015 times
See a vet so you will know for sure. Let us know how he is doing. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:51 AM

206 posts, read 446,539 times
Get to the vet! and yes use a harness. I have a chi chi too and you must use a harness. It sounds like it's reversed sneezing but you need to go to the vet.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:48 PM

323 posts, read 739,435 times
We are a family of Chi lovers. We have 3. Tiki, Teala and Rosita or Rosie. Teala does the same thing. A vet check showed one of the chambers of her heart is enlarged. It has not gone any larger and she is doing good. Although most of the time she does this when she drinks water. It only happens with water and not tastes of other drinks.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:11 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,657,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
since I have chihuahuas I feel like I can ring in here . sounds like to me it is a collapsed trachea and just rub his neck under neath and it seems to go away after that and yes I had to take mine to the vet to find out that is what it was , good luck .
This is exactly what I was going to say. If it isn't so much of a cough as it is a mixture of "snoring" and "snorting" with a pinch of panic mixed in, I would bet my paycheck your dog suffers from a collapsing trachea like a lot of other small breeds.

Try to get it on video and talk to the vet about it. If it is, in fact, a collapsing trachea (some vets will call it a reverse sneeze) then it's basically harmless, just scary for the dog. When the dog inhales "just so" a section of the trachea pinches off and the effect is like a straw collapsing while you try to draw a thick milkshake through it. The harder the dog tries to inhale, the more tightly the vacuum pinches the trachea shut. It eventually passes when the dog relaxes, but it can be really heartbreaking.

What works with my family's chihuahua is picking the dog up and turning her over so that her belly is facing up. That makes her clench her abdomen and put positive pressure against the back of her larynx, effectively re-inflating her collapsed trachea. She hates being turned upside down, but when the problem is solved the tail always wags.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 15,421 times
collapsing trachea, how can I treat this condition. Also, my dog likes to eat human food, what is good for feeding without making him sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs