Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:29 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,507 times

Advertisements

Okay, so on Saturday my sister was sitting at an open house and this little dog came up to the porch and wouldn't leave. It followed my sister around, and she just couldn't leave it -- so, now we have a new dog. He's been checked out by the vet who said he was about 18-24 months old. He's in good health; blood pressure is normal, weight is good, all of the above. Only problem is my dog, Dusty, is NOT happy about the situation. He is acting out and rebelling b/c he does not want this dog in the house. Any ideas, suggestions, tips, etc anyone can give to help me make this transition go more smoothly for my little territorial dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 08:58 AM

533 posts, read 1,834,163 times
Not sure about helping them get along, I've always only had one dog at a time. I'm sure others here can help you with that process, but I was wondering, has your family put up signs and contacted shelters that to let them know you found this dog? His owners might be looking for him!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I think early on, it's normal for the resident pooch to not be happy with the new kid on the block that pops in. It should simmer down. Same thing with kitties. My first cat didn't take much to the 2nd one that showed up. But, eventually she accepted him.
Be sure to give doggie number 1 lots of attention--walks, treats and hugs. It should work out okay--like with kids, if all else fails, they will eventually adjust/accept each other with minimal growls.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,728 times
Ceasar would say you have to show your dog who is boss. If it does not behave properly when the other dog is around, you have to correct its behavior. This doesn't mean you punish the dog, you just stop it from acting badly. You certainly don't want to reward misbehavior with hugs, but when your dog behaves well give it some extra attention.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 AM

553 posts, read 1,632,916 times
Take them on lots of long walks together. Get them on neutral territory to get them used to each other. It took a while for mine to get used to each other, but now they are great friends.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
Not sure about helping them get along, I've always only had one dog at a time. I'm sure others here can help you with that process, but I was wondering, has your family put up signs and contacted shelters that to let them know you found this dog? His owners might be looking for him!
We scowered the neighborhood where my sister has listings which is where she found him, and all anyone said is that they saw the same dog a few days ago and it's been hanging around w/no sign of an owner. My dog gets out all the time (he is a certified escape artist) but being the good owner I am, I ALWAYS go look for him. My take on it is if no one was looking for him for over 3 days, then the previous owner didn't deserve to have such a sweetheart.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:17 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
You might want to take the newbie to the vet to see if he's microchipped (although maybe you did as he's been to your vet). It's possible he slipped out the door of a petsitter etc - the owners may be away and not even aware he's missing. Would prob. also post on Craigslist but make sure you word it a bit vaguely - 'Found: dog, call to describe" and make sure they bring photos etc. Just a thought.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Is the new dog neutered?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Is the new dog neutered?
He isn't neutered, and neither is my dog. Which is a big problem b/c they are both trying to show their dominance.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
four words----GET CESAER MILIAN'S BOOK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs