U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:35 PM

71 posts, read 141,421 times

Advertisements

Although I have not owned a rottweiler before, I have had dogs all my life. I am interested in getting a rescue female rottweiler-full grown. If there are any rottweiler owners out there that have any advice, suggestions, for me, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 05:03 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,337,219 times
Rotties are like any other dog. They are HOW they are raised. Do you have any Background on her?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Rotties are like any other dog. They are HOW they are raised. Do you have any Background on her?
All I know is that she was a stray and was first brought to the shelter then moved to a foster home where she is now. They say she is calm and good around people and other animals. I have another dog and was concerned how they would get along but they said I would have to bring my dog to meet and see how they got along with each other.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:14 AM

442 posts, read 837,723 times
Meeting the other dog will be helpful...also watch the dog whisperer on Natgeo channel. He also has DVD's you can buy. He is great with dogs and advice on how to rehab them and train people.

On the APL channel there is a show called Dogs 101 that is very informational on where the dogs came from and how they are with other dogs and people, it is narrated by a dog trainer and ASPCALA vet. That is how I learned that Rots have the most per pound pressure in biting with the GSD being second. Hope this helps you and also reading all the posts in the dogs forum has helped me too.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
Meeting the other dog will be helpful...also watch the dog whisperer on Natgeo channel. He also has DVD's you can buy. He is great with dogs and advice on how to rehab them and train people.

On the APL channel there is a show called Dogs 101 that is very informational on where the dogs came from and how they are with other dogs and people, it is narrated by a dog trainer and ASPCALA vet. That is how I learned that Rots have the most per pound pressure in biting with the GSD being second. Hope this helps you and also reading all the posts in the dogs forum has helped me too.
Thanks for the information. I have been reading as much as I can about this breed and will check this out, too. Do you own one?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette49 View Post
Thanks for the information. I have been reading as much as I can about this breed and will check this out, too. Do you own one?
No, I was attacked by one though-not pleasant-but the dog was left alone and was very hungry and I was just trying to give it food and it was just a puppy and stronger than me. I do not blame the dog I blamed the owner who was fined and the dog was taken away.
To answer your question, no I just rescued a German Shepard from the pound that the owner turned in-get this they paid 1500 for the dog and found it was to exciteable-its a puppy, anyway their loss my gain, she is a great dog. I own a little dog too a Shih-Tzu and they get along great.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
No, I was attacked by one though-not pleasant-but the dog was left alone and was very hungry and I was just trying to give it food and it was just a puppy and stronger than me. I do not blame the dog I blamed the owner who was fined and the dog was taken away.
To answer your question, no I just rescued a German Shepard from the pound that the owner turned in-get this they paid 1500 for the dog and found it was to exciteable-its a puppy, anyway their loss my gain, she is a great dog. I own a little dog too a Shih-Tzu and they get along great.
Wow, I would believe that getting attacked by one would not be a good experience. She will be a full grown one - and she's big, close to 100 lbs and for a female I think that's alot. I know many large/small dog combinations and they get along great - so I am hoping the same for my situation. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:03 AM

You are welcome, just remember you are the pack leader! Do not let the dog take control, from the minute you bring her home-if you do-you HAVE to be the leader. You should be fine and oh I own a lot of cats too.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,347,967 times
Talking Do your research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post

EXACTLY CORRECT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette49 View Post
All I know is that she was a stray and was first brought to the shelter then moved to a foster home where she is now. They say she is calm and good around people and other animals. I have another dog and was concerned how they would get along but they said I would have to bring my dog to meet and see how they got along with each other.
YES... it is a must to take your dog. Socializeation is KEY.

You will need to check with your homeowners Insurance policy & agent. Many Ins. companies will not cover your home if you have a Rotty.

Also...yopu must check your city/town you live in. Some municipalaties will not let you have some breeds.

She will need to be exercised on a regular basis, unless you have fenced in acreage where she can run free to exercise.

Keep us updated & do you have a photo of her that you could share ?
What type of dog do you have now ?

Hubby & I have had Rottweilers over 26 years now. Usually 3 to 4 Rotts at a time.
If I can help you, I would be more than happy to answer any of your ?s about Rotts. There are quite a few very knowledgable dog people on here. I know they will help you, too.

Let us know how the meeting goes.
Best of luck.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
EXACTLY CORRECT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES... it is a must to take your dog. Socializeation is KEY.

You will need to check with your homeowners Insurance policy & agent. Many Ins. companies will not cover your home if you have a Rotty.

Also...yopu must check your city/town you live in. Some municipalaties will not let you have some breeds.

She will need to be exercised on a regular basis, unless you have fenced in acreage where she can run free to exercise.

Keep us updated & do you have a photo of her that you could share ?
What type of dog do you have now ?

Hubby & I have had Rottweilers over 26 years now. Usually 3 to 4 Rotts at a time.
If I can help you, I would be more than happy to answer any of your ?s about Rotts. There are quite a few very knowledgable dog people on here. I know they will help you, too.

Let us know how the meeting goes.
Best of luck.
We have a large, unfenced yard - and neighbors not too close by. I never let any pet outside with being with it and on a leash and I will be able to walk her several times a day. My current dog is a pomeranian. She is extremely friendly toward people and loves dogs to the point of getting very excited. I will try to get a photo as soon as possible of the rottweiler. I didn't realize, however, that insurance companies and city/towns may not be as tolerant of this breed - I will check into this. I do know a man in the same township with one. This site has been great with all the help offered - thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs