Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I'm torn between a maltese from a breeder or saving a life. I just discovered my previous dog on petfinder and am devastated. Especially since the info makes it sound like we didn't want her. We shall see.
1. The dogs that are at a breeder will not be put to sleep if you choose not to buy them. The dogs at a shelter will. You'd be doing a very good thing by adopting. That's just my opinion -- I'm not trying to persuade you.

2. You found your previous dog listed on Petfinder? The one that your mom surrendered? Seriously??? I know that your BF has allergies, but really, this is a sign!!! You need to get your old dog back! Tell your boyfriend to load up on Claritin, and get your pooch home!

Please keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
coffeebean, if you have chosen a Maltese, why not pick a Maltese from a shelter?!

One of mine was from a breeder, but the other two were rescued and they were all wonderful!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 AM

431 posts, read 1,142,056 times
The reasons we surrendered my dog were:

a) It was a 15 hour drive south and she's 12.
b) She barks a lot and we're in an apartment.

Stupid, stupid reasons if you ask me. Now we're far away and can't adopt her. My boyfriend is still in New York, but his apartment doesn't allow pets. I wish I had never looked on petfinder.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
The reasons we surrendered my dog were:

a) It was a 15 hour drive south and she's 12.
b) She barks a lot and we're in an apartment.

Stupid, stupid reasons if you ask me. Now we're far away and can't adopt her. My boyfriend is still in New York, but his apartment doesn't allow pets. I wish I had never looked on petfinder.
Sigh...

I hope she finds a good home.
And I hope you find the perfect dog for yourselves.

Have faith -- it'll happen.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 AM

431 posts, read 1,142,056 times
Thank you. The only consolation was that she looked happy. I miss her though. I keep her picture by my bed. Part of me thinks despite all my other dog interests, we'll end up with a lab.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,040 times
I can't believe you're even considering buying a puppy from a breeder, especially after you dumped your last dog. Please watch a video of a shelter dog being euthanized, and then if you have no soul, go buy a breeder dog.

There are so many wonderful dogs (large and small) who are in shelters or rescues due to no fault of their own. You should know this, since your previous dog is one of them.

It sounds like you still live with your mom, but if you are adult enough to move in with your boyfriend it seems like you could have been adult enough to make a 15-hour drive with a dog. My dog has been to more states than most people. He's a big dog and is older as well. One day of driving or being surrendered...I think most dogs would choose a day in the car.

What happens if you and bf break up? Will you surrender another dog?

Oh, and ps, there are ways to work with dogs to minimize barking.

Last edited by dogmomof2; 07-08-2010 at 05:48 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 06:53 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
You could always go back to the shelter where you surrendered your last dog, and save one someone else has left behind because they were not convenient.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
So, you and BF are planning to live in an apartment, with a puppy, and likely a LAB puppy. You can expect to kiss your security/pet deposits goodbye, and probably still end up owing. Along with a lot of personal items.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:35 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
So, you and BF are planning to live in an apartment, with a puppy, and likely a LAB puppy. You can expect to kiss your security/pet deposits goodbye, and probably still end up owing. Along with a lot of personal items.
Labs can do quite well with apartment living. A little devoted training goes a long way.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
rant aside, to the OP:

also consider a mixed pup. obviously, w/ a mixed breed, you don't have as much as a guarantee in terms of shedding and allergies, but there a lot of mixes out there that are low/no shedding. there are tons of poodle-mixes out there, many mixed w/ other hypoallergenic breeds like shih tzus, Maltese, etc. please don't buy one of the so-called "doodle"/"hybrid" dogs-so many of these dogs end up in shelters and are overbred.

there are also breed rescues out there. it's not too uncommon for toy breed pups to end up at these places, especially if they've been seized from a BYB or puppy mill. some may allow you to put your name on a waiting list and may contact you if a suitable match comes along

it's important to be upfront w/ a rescue, shelter, or breeder about your BF's allergies. low/no shedding doesn't automatically equal allergen free. I had a few people state they were allergic to my shih tzu. people often build up a tolerance to a pet over time, but it's important to remember that there's no guarantee w/ allergens. letting folks know upfront can give you a safe out for your pup in case it doesn't work out (maybe hang around a selected breed to see your BF's reactions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs