Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:48 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,546,131 times

Advertisements

Nice looking Cattle dog! Cattle dogs are very sweet and loving dogs especially to their person. They usually bond very strongly to one person. That said they are very territorial dogs and have to know what is going on. They will protect and defend their territory. Jazz is only part cattle dog but most of her behavior fits the ACD . Being such she thinks she owns our street and is fine with people she has met before walking down the road. But will bark and glare at unknown people she spots walking down the road. The neighbors she does know will also get her complaints if they are out doing something that she thinks is out of place. An example being my neighbor Barb who she knows very well standing in the drive way waiting for a ride, well usually she is not there so we came out and Jazz noticed her right away and barked and glared at her. She wanted to know just what Barb was doing standing there She is a very nosey dog and has to know what is going on at all times.

If Jazz gets worked up she can be quite frightening looking as she can really curl her lips back and then she stomps her feet and bounces as she threatens whatever and people that see her do that comment of how frightening she looks...well it is all show as she has never bitten anything where she has caused any injury or broken skin.

Nothing escapes Jazz and I do mean nothing! On a camping trip with a large group of friends and about 7 other dogs she decided the camping sites were hers too and we all swear that she noticed every ant that entered it and checked them out, nothing got past her with out her commenting on it and checking it out. The other dogs could have cared less about such things.

When we are out walking she loves meeting new people but if someone that she finds a bit odd or they are wearing something odd that doesn't suit her taste she will " arooooo rooooo" at them as we pass. So she has to make comments on everything! In agility if we made a mistake and I would try to resend her rather then just go she would argue with me!

I am lucky as all my neighbors know her and many of them have known her since she was a puppy and they tend to find her antics funny and some said they feel safer having her here ( I do live in a condo) she was the alarm system for things being out of place. I do not let her barking get out of control but will let her give a warning bark. Now at 14 she is pretty deaf but those eyes still see everything as a matter of fact she notices more the Dazzle who is a sighthound.

As the others have said I would keep your dog tied up out front especially with neighbors like yours as they do tend to bark or comment about people and want to check things out after all they do own the street. In reality Jazz believes she owns the town and perhaps the State of California too. Despite her "queen" behavior she is a total love bug and was a favorite of the seniors at the retirement homes we did agility demos at. But noticing people and barking a I see you warning is one of her many quirks. I have a friend with an ACD that is very much like Jazz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,978,338 times
okay I dont think you will have anything to worry about since they seem to be sue crazy . all you can say is your sorry and leave it at that . dont volunteer anything and I would get myself a privacy fence and dont leave the dog out even with the fence cause you never know someone like that might get it in their head to poison your dog to get rid of it . I dont want to see that happen . That happened to my next door neighbor , she had an argument with the neighbor across the street because they said her rottie was a dangerous dog and she was the biggest sweetie . Those ppl poisoned her dog and I would bet my life on that . I loved that dog .sorry you got yourself some angry old bitter people for neighbors . I wish you luck .

Old 07-12-2010, 01:24 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,958,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Nice looking Cattle dog! Cattle dogs are very sweet and loving dogs especially to their person. They usually bond very strongly to one person. That said they are very territorial dogs and have to know what is going on. They will protect and defend their territory. Jazz is only part cattle dog but most of her behavior fits the ACD . Being such she thinks she owns our street and is fine with people she has met before walking down the road. But will bark and glare at unknown people she spots walking down the road. The neighbors she does know will also get her complaints if they are out doing something that she thinks is out of place. An example being my neighbor Barb who she knows very well standing in the drive way waiting for a ride, well usually she is not there so we came out and Jazz noticed her right away and barked and glared at her. She wanted to know just what Barb was doing standing there She is a very nosey dog and has to know what is going on at all times.

If Jazz gets worked up she can be quite frightening looking as she can really curl her lips back and then she stomps her feet and bounces as she threatens whatever and people that see her do that comment of how frightening she looks...well it is all show as she has never bitten anything where she has caused any injury or broken skin.

Nothing escapes Jazz and I do mean nothing! On a camping trip with a large group of friends and about 7 other dogs she decided the camping sites were hers too and we all swear that she noticed every ant that entered it and checked them out, nothing got past her with out her commenting on it and checking it out. The other dogs could have cared less about such things.

When we are out walking she loves meeting new people but if someone that she finds a bit odd or they are wearing something odd that doesn't suit her taste she will " arooooo rooooo" at them as we pass. So she has to make comments on everything! In agility if we made a mistake and I would try to resend her rather then just go she would argue with me!

I am lucky as all my neighbors know her and many of them have known her since she was a puppy and they tend to find her antics funny and some said they feel safer having her here ( I do live in a condo) she was the alarm system for things being out of place. I do not let her barking get out of control but will let her give a warning bark. Now at 14 she is pretty deaf but those eyes still see everything as a matter of fact she notices more the Dazzle who is a sighthound.

As the others have said I would keep your dog tied up out front especially with neighbors like yours as they do tend to bark or comment about people and want to check things out after all they do own the street. In reality Jazz believes she owns the town and perhaps the State of California too. Despite her "queen" behavior she is a total love bug and was a favorite of the seniors at the retirement homes we did agility demos at. But noticing people and barking a I see you warning is one of her many quirks. I have a friend with an ACD that is very much like Jazz.
pretty good description of my cattle dog mix bailey, too .....

Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 PM

433 posts, read 1,614,656 times
Thank you all for the advice! I will definitley keeped him leashed at all times in the front just to avoid any drama. Dog issue aside, these people have not liked us from the start and look for anything to complain about and it is like talking to a brick wall with these people, and they are the type that starts making things up to "win" arguments. He already told me what he did before he retired and when I brought up that my dog has a trainer and if they would like to speak to her all of a sudden he "used to be a dog trainer" even though it was obvious he knew nothing and you think a former retired dog trainer might own a dog, nope. I can't prove this but I'm pretty sure they are racists. I'm a white guy and my wife was born in the US but her parents are from India and they always have a disgusted look on their face whenever her family comes to visit. We did buy the nicest house in the court and we have made a lot of improvements since we moved in and we are only 25 so that might burn them up and they might be looking to supplement their income like some of you have said. We won't give them that exuse.

I know it's real a roll of the dice what neighors you get and unfortunatley we crapped out. We are thinking about selling our house anyways in the future so hopefully we get some better neighbors next time around. I have heard quite a few poisoining stories and it does worry us, I wouldn't put it past them.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,546,131 times
When I hear about neighbors like yours it makes me that much more thankful for all my great neighbors. I have been very lucky that way.

Sorry you and your wife have to deal with people like that.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 PM

490 posts, read 1,782,954 times
I think your neighbors are nuts and represent all the bad in America. However, to avoid issues, just keep your very beautiful dog in your backyard. People are crazy and have no patience nowadays so is best to avoid. I've in situations very similar to yours so I understand. Because your dog did not bite anyone, I think you are OK but if it becomes a costume for the dog to go and bark to other people, it can become a "nuisance" and that can cause lots of problems.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 PM

354 posts, read 709,479 times
I am in no way suggesting that your dog did this deed, but right off the bat, you are in the wrong because your dog was off leash and not on your property. Unfortunately, the law is not on your side on that one.
Now, what may have happened was a misunderstanding--your dog is a herding breed, and herding breed do instinctively 'nip' (which really is a bite by another name) as a function of their herding heritage. However, this does not mean they should be allowed to bite indiscriminately. You yourself say you are not sure what happened--so can they prove the bite occurred? Are there pictures, actual evidence (injury, a wound that you've seen?) Do they have doctors records proving they sought medical attention for said bite? If they felt it serious enough to come up to you/your wife about it, surely its serious enough to go to the doctor right? Gather all pertinent information and document.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,806,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shope View Post
Thank you all for the advice! I will definitley keeped him leashed at all times in the front just to avoid any drama. Dog issue aside, these people have not liked us from the start and look for anything to complain about and it is like talking to a brick wall with these people, and they are the type that starts making things up to "win" arguments. He already told me what he did before he retired and when I brought up that my dog has a trainer and if they would like to speak to her all of a sudden he "used to be a dog trainer" even though it was obvious he knew nothing and you think a former retired dog trainer might own a dog, nope. I can't prove this but I'm pretty sure they are racists. I'm a white guy and my wife was born in the US but her parents are from India and they always have a disgusted look on their face whenever her family comes to visit. We did buy the nicest house in the court and we have made a lot of improvements since we moved in and we are only 25 so that might burn them up and they might be looking to supplement their income like some of you have said. We won't give them that exuse.

I know it's real a roll of the dice what neighors you get and unfortunatley we crapped out. We are thinking about selling our house anyways in the future so hopefully we get some better neighbors next time around. I have heard quite a few poisoining stories and it does worry us, I wouldn't put it past them.
You might ask your dog's trainer to help you teach your dog in "food refusal" to lessen the chances of a poisoning.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:37 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,558,925 times
What a pretty dog! Sounds like your neighbors have a personal vendetta against you guys, which really stinks. I'm glad you're going to keep him leashed from now on, it's never a good idea to let them outside without one except in a fenced-in yard. I also suggest you don't let him outside unsupervised at all, even on a lead...you just can't trust people, and since they've already made it clear they want you to get rid of the dog, I wouldn't put it past them to do something underhanded (like poisoning him, or detaching the leash or lead, calling animal control and claiming the dog was loose or a stray). I'm sorry you have to deal with people like this...and I hope you guys have MUCH better luck next time with the neighbor situation!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:35 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,360,424 times
I can tell from the picture that is the face of a killer dog!
What a gorgeous pupster.

As for the neighbor I can understand their anxiety over having
a strange dog come over and bark at them. But the repeated
mention of suing you is a bit much. They are either using this as
a threat to get you to either get rid of your dog or keep it leashed up.
Worst case is they really are litigious and are looking for any excuse
to sue someone.
My recommendation is to insure your dog is always leashed when
outside of a fenced yard. When I'm doing yard work I bring my girl
outside with me. To insure she doesn't wander off when I'm digging
under a bush I have her leashed on a 20ft. lead. She's attached at the bottom banister and can go 20ft. in either direction . So I know she won't wander into the street when my back is turned and she can come into my flower beds to be with me.
Good luck with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs