Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:14 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Macie is a Golden Retriever.....pretty much anything that involves a car-ride and attention is a good thing in her mind. Besides, the vet's office has cookies - so in her mind I'm guessing the thought process is: car ride=good, attention=good, reason for visit= annoying, more attention=good, cookies=good, another car ride= good....so "good" wins.

what a GREAT attitude.....

good girl macie!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Bella loves the car ride also. If I'm cutting grass and need to move the car I have to let her jump in the back seat or she won't move out of the way. Bella in, move car, Bella out and she is happy as can be.
Bella and PC might be related. He wants to come on every single car ride and usually does. Once I was cleaning out the car, and he plopped himself in the back seat, tongue out and ready to go. Sadly, we weren't going anywhere.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Once I was cleaning out the car, and he plopped himself in the back seat, tongue out and ready to go. Sadly, we weren't going anywhere.
Edison did that too the last time I cleaned my car!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:18 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
CW is just being stubborn. I say put both on a leash and make them be friends! Ok, maybe that's a bad idea but I think it's the cat who doesn't like Bella not the other way around!

At our old apartment, a woman used to walk her cat on a leash. She said all the dogs barked and lunged at it and PC was the only dog she ever met that could get her cat on its back and licked it. He also likes rabbits. Such a strange dog. Luckily, we haven't come across a rattlesnake yet since we rarely go in the canyons. I'd hate to see him try to be friends with one of those!
Yes I would draw the line at snake friends. LOL Yeah CW is a crab. I never was a cat person but my oldest talked me into it. Oldest and middle daughter don't live at home so now it's the youngest that loves on her. I feed/water but DD does the rest. I try to pet her and she has to smell my hand first. Sometimes I'm allowed and other time not. But if DD is away for a few days, THEN she comes and finds me and I'm ALLOWED to pet her all I want.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Oh yes answering the topic, got off track as I usually do!
Edison likes the vet's office because he's just so darn excited to meet other dogs. The other dogs: not so much, they are shaking, peeing everywhere, etc. Edison starts shaking once he gets on the exam table but once he's off, he's ok. He's really calm with the vet and the staff, glad the neuter visit didn't change his mind about it. Now that we're moving, we need to switch vets, to something closer to our home and we will see how he does with it. I try to take him different places (Petsmart, Pet's Barn, parks) so he can get acclimated to different areas.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times
Loves it, loves it, loves it. New smells, new people, new animals... he's even fine with it when it means nasty shots and stuff. Last time we went for all his yearly shots plus his three year rabies and he was back up and being goofy the second they were done.

The funniest is when there are 'other' animals (not dogs/cats) or varieties he has never seen before. He is like a kid in a candy store. Considering how poorly I train him I'm amazed at how well he behaves.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Loves it, loves it, loves it. New smells, new people, new animals... he's even fine with it when it means nasty shots and stuff. Last time we went for all his yearly shots plus his three year rabies and he was back up and being goofy the second they were done.

The funniest is when there are 'other' animals (not dogs/cats) or varieties he has never seen before. He is like a kid in a candy store. Considering how poorly I train him I'm amazed at how well he behaves.
Bella has never seen 'other' animals at the vet's. I can't imagin what her reactions would be.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Kizzy LOVES the vet. He will literally pull me in there, and when we're in the waiting room, he will start howling at everyone who doesn't pay attention to him.

A couple of weeks ago, we walked over there to get his worming meds, and I asked for some water for him when we got there. He went to follow a tech into the back, and she took him with her. Apparently, he HAD to say hello to every two- and four-legged creature back there.

I'm lucky that he's so easy with this. They give treats, and since he's a cookie sl*t, there's no problem.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,916 times
Our vets are wonderful people, and they and their staff treat our dogs very well. Unfortunately, both of our dogs are terrified to go to the vet. The shaking starts when we pull in the parking lot for one, and when we get in the door for the other.

Our Ridgeback (mix) was so scared one time that he actually peed in fear while the vet tech was putting Frontline on him. (I usually do the Frontline, but I bought 6+1 free dose and they brought the "free" dose in and put it on him). He actually ended up peeing on the vet tech's leg. She was very sweet about it. We baked her cookies and took them in the next day!

If they saw the vet and or staff in a different setting, they would get along just fine!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Our vets are wonderful people, and they and their staff treat our dogs very well. Unfortunately, both of our dogs are terrified to go to the vet. The shaking starts when we pull in the parking lot for one, and when we get in the door for the other.

Our Ridgeback (mix) was so scared one time that he actually peed in fear while the vet tech was putting Frontline on him. (I usually do the Frontline, but I bought 6+1 free dose and they brought the "free" dose in and put it on him). He actually ended up peeing on the vet tech's leg. She was very sweet about it. We baked her cookies and took them in the next day!

If they saw the vet and or staff in a different setting, they would get along just fine!
I feel so bad when they are scared like that. My last boy would shake also. Hopefully you don't have to take him often.

Last edited by Jessiegee40; 07-15-2010 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: added text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs