Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,774,459 times

Advertisements

Bella loves the vet's office. When I pull into the parking lot she is all wiggles and lets out a little excited whine. I try to keep her calm but when one of the vet techs sees her they squat down, open up their arms and say "BELLA". I just drop the lease and she's off.

One of the techs taught her to jump right up on the table (it's in the down position) so she runs in there and jumps up then down then up wiggling her whole back end the entire time.

The vet will be trying to look in her eyes or ears and she can't resist giving him a kiss. He says "Thanks Bella". I love our vet. If he wasn't really old and married I'd have my eye on him. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Let me answer your question this way: You're lucky!!!

I can't say that Artie hates it but, if he remembers that the last time he was there was for anal sac expressing, as soon as we walk into the waiting room, he turns around and plops himself in front of the door as if to say, "Been here. Done that. Let's just go."

One time it was really bad and he started trembling. I almost cried. (OK, OK, I actually DID cry. Sue me.)

On the plus side, the fear somehow calms him. Although he's quite anti-social in most cases -- lunging and barking at other dogs and strangers -- at the vet, he's everyone's best friend. He sniffs all the people's legs, he wanders up to strange dogs to say hi, etc...

Maybe he's doing the "look how well I'm behaving, so let's just go before I crack" trick.

Poor Artie. Lucky Bella.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 07-14-2010 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
can't say that Artie hates it but, if he remembers that the last time he was there was for anal sac expressing, as soon as we walk into the waiting room, he turns around and plops himself in front of the door as if to say, "Been here. Done that. Let's just go."
Dawn you made me spit my coffee everywhere. Too funny. Lucky for Bella, she hasn't had to have her anal sac done. Good firm poop

She has had her shots but she didn't even act like she felt them. The only other un-routine thing was getting her ears flushed. I don't think her tail stopped wagging even then.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
My boy loves to go there for the smells and sights of the other pets, of course mostly the dogs (and for the car ride too). As for going in the back to the rooms, if the vet techs take him he doesn't want to go with them but with a little pull he'll go. If I go with him he doesn't have a problem going back. He's a pretty good patient otherwise...at least my vet says so. He always comments on how good he is and can't believe people still discriminate against him (he's a dobie). What my vet doesn't see is my boy yanking me out the door and all over the parking lot to find those other smells. Okay, so I haven't mastered the leash control yet.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Dawn you made me spit my coffee everywhere. Too funny. Lucky for Bella, she hasn't had to have her anal sac done. Good firm poop

She has had her shots but she didn't even act like she felt them. The only other un-routine thing was getting her ears flushed. I don't think her tail stopped wagging even then.
Sorry for the mess!!!

OK, so it's official. Bella = best dog EVER!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
As for going in the back to the rooms, if the vet techs take him he doesn't want to go with them but with a little pull he'll go.
Oh, that reminds me of the "I'm going with you" trick that we have. Artie still hasn't caught on.

I can't go to the back with them, otherwise Artie will be crazed. He's very protective of me and thinks he needs to be on guard if I'm there. So they know that THEY have to take him in the back, do their stuff, and then bring him back to Mama.

So I hand over Artie's leash. But Artie doesn't want to leave me. So I say, "I'm going with you, buddy!," walk through the door with them, and then I turn around and go back to the waiting room. I hope he never figures it out, otherwise our 15-minute vet visits can be an hour-long soap opera.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 07-14-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 11:03 AM

533 posts, read 1,833,441 times
Our pup was happy to visit our vet...until he got neutered there. Now he's not a big fan.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
had a cat once who would just lay there in his carrier and let the vet and vet tech have their way with him..... it was one of those that the top half lifted up..... i have never since or before seen an animal so laid back and comfortable at the vet's office.....

bailey knows where we are before i even get the door opened.... she is cooperative, but NOT happy and is practically pulling me out the door when we are done..... she can NOT believe i am paying them for what they have just done to her......

dave is just dave ..... but pretty well behaved.....

Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh, that reminds me of the "I'm going with you trick" that we have. Artie still hasn't caught on.

I can't go to the back with them, otherwise Artie will be crazed. He's very protective of me and thinks he needs to be on guard if I'm there. So they know that THEY have to take him in the back, do their stuff, and then bring him back to Mama.

So I hand over Artie's leash. But Artie doesn't want to leave me. So I say, "I'm going with you, buddy!," walk through the door with them, and then I turn around and go back to the waiting room. I hope he never figures it out, otherwise our 15-minute vet visits can be an hour-long soap opera.
I love hearing about the "Artie Antics" Add me to the "almost spit coffee across the room" club

Most of the dogs I get are usually health comprimised when they come to me (all rescues) Because they associate a vet visit with getting poked and prodded they are usually either fearful or aggressive when we first go to the vets. We have a procedure though that gets them through it in a few visits. I supply the vet with a bag of treats and a standing rule. Everytime someone walks in the room, the dog gets a treat from them. Doesn't matter if the vet tech is in and out 5 times -each and every time a treat is given. Same thing when the vet comes in. All my dogs end up LOVING the vet office!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Sorry for the mess!!!

OK, so it's official. Bella = best dog EVER!
No. Best Dog ever is PC. Right MAK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs