Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:38 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,724 times

Advertisements

I'm so happy I could burst!

Mayor Cook of El Paso is trying to outlaw the sale of puppies and kittens in pet stores, and is speaking out against the mills that breed them...he hopes that by doing so, it will reduce the number of unwanted animals in the overflowing shelters. A politician with a heart!!! Maybe this world really IS starting to wake up after all!

Mayor: Outlaw dog, cat sales at stores - El Paso Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 04:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
That's GREAT news. Next stop: stop all unlicensed sale of animals. The animal supply chain needs greater controls from breeder to retail, whether that be on the market, or along some back road.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:50 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
That's GREAT news. Next stop: stop all unlicensed sale of animals. The animal supply chain needs greater controls from breeder to retail, whether that be on the market, or along some back road.
All animals? Seriously? Livestock, poultry and other farm animals included??? Do you have any idea what this would do the the average family farmer?
Do you have any idea of the uniintended consequences of blackmarket this would create? Seriously?

I can understand in cities with domesticated animals, really I can. I think if people were better educated no one would "buy" a puppy, kitten, or bunny at a pet store but at those shops that sponsor shelter days. But all animals? Sorry, this is where real life practicality in rural areas and what can/should be done in cities part ways.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:20 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
West Hollywood banned the sale of dogs as well recently. San Francisco is next on that list. There was a huge issues with an overabundance of chihuahuas in LA county, forcing shelters to ship them to rescues all over the country. People in LA love that breed for some reason, and give them up when they no longer fit their lifestyle or get too big to fit in a purse.

West Hollywood bans most pet store puppy and kitty sales

Old 07-16-2010, 11:29 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
This is fantastic news.

Not to change the route of this post, I just wish on the other hand shelters did not make it so difficult for people to adopt.

I totally understand they have to check if the person will really care for the pet, but just bc one does not have a fenced-in yard or does not stay home 24/7 in my opinion, at least, it is not an excuse for denying someone who is looking to genuinely save and share a life with a furry friend.

I have seen many people discouraged by impossible applications. It is disheartening to see someone who first tries and gets denied at a shelter and buys from a puppy mill or a store.
I am not saying all store buyers do that, but some shelters should encourage serious people to adopt, not shun them...

Old 07-16-2010, 11:37 AM

355 posts, read 911,632 times
Shelters/Rescues are so picky because so many people simply dont know how to care for an animal and the absolute last thing a shelter worker wants to see is an animal get dumped back on the shelter so they are overly cautious.

Pet stores are one of the worse breeders but I think the biggest problem, especially with pitties and rotts and other stronger breeds is what is known as BYB or back yard breeders. Dogs like this should be breed carefully considering temperment, working ability/titles, confirmation and physical health screens (hips/eyes/heart)ofa'd.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:47 AM

245 posts, read 585,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I'm so happy I could burst!

Mayor Cook of El Paso is trying to outlaw the sale of puppies and kittens in pet stores, and is speaking out against the mills that breed them...he hopes that by doing so, it will reduce the number of unwanted animals in the overflowing shelters. A politician with a heart!!! Maybe this world really IS starting to wake up after all!

Mayor: Outlaw dog, cat sales at stores - El Paso Times
Since most pet stores responsibly sell healthy animals,OP, where would you suggest as an alternative?
The newspaper?
Craigslist?
A sign on the corner?

"Pet mills" exist to service a need.
If they are shut down ,rather than cleaned up and strictly regulated, the breeding of animals will simply go back to what it was before they came into being.Animals being bred in an unorganized and haphazard fashion.

It's surprising that people never think of "what then?" when stories like this come out.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
Since most pet stores responsibly sell healthy animals,OP, where would you suggest as an alternative?
You're kidding, right? There is nothing responsible about a pet store selling puppies!

As for an alternative, how about a reputable breeder or a shelter or rescue? You know, they do have puppies at shelters, often times pure bred or "designer" breeds. One does not need to go to the pet store to get a puppy.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I thnik that it more a sign of the times in which governamnt actaul motion is to redcue cost more thn anything really.I see no reason pet stores can not be regulated. I often look at what hunters and fisaherman pay in taxes to support wildlife and think mnay times its the system that is setup wrong. Every pets owner just like hunters and fisherman need to bare more rsponsiblity in taxes to pay for the system of carng for pets. Huners and fisherman pay for liceases;they pay tx on every item they buy before it even reches market at manufauturer level. In factthey pay for wehat many of us enjoy in wilderness areas.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
The newspaper?
Craigslist?
A sign on the corner?

"Pet mills" exist to service a need.
If they are shut down ,rather than cleaned up and strictly regulated, the breeding of animals will simply go back to what it was before they came into being.Animals being bred in an unorganized and haphazard fashion.

It's surprising that people never think of "what then?" when stories like this come out.

what in HECK do you think millers and backyard breeders are doing NOW??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs