Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 03:19 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,406,644 times

Advertisements

How can I get rid of ants in my house without using toxic chemicals that will hurt me or my dog?

Last year when I had ants, I used this organic plant-based insecticide. It worked GREAT, but when I used it this year, it didn't work at all.

My next step was to use Diatomaceous Earth. It's completely non-toxic and worked amazingly for about a month.

The ants are back and nothing is working again!!!

Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 07:10 PM

553 posts, read 1,629,109 times
Have you tried spraying/wiping down everything with vinegar? Cornstarch also works. Apparently the ants eat it, and they they explode. I don't know of anything non-toxic that will kill the nest, but if you could keep Beasley away from Terro for 1-2 days, that might do it for you.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:57 PM

414 posts, read 1,858,800 times
I've heard of using a lot of different home remedies, but just about everything that pest control companies use in your home is non-toxic. Otherwise, they could be sued, at least that's what the company I use tells me. They spray my home once a quarter and I've never had any problems with my dogs getting sick.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:42 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,128,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
I've heard of using a lot of different home remedies, but just about everything that pest control companies use in your home is non-toxic. Otherwise, they could be sued, at least that's what the company I use tells me. They spray my home once a quarter and I've never had any problems with my dogs getting sick.
I don't know if it's due to the threat of being sued, but where we are (aka, insect heaven) you sort have to have your home treated once a quarter.... or I suppose you could pass if you particularly like scorpions, black widows, etc. etc.

Regardless, dogs and cats indoors, home is professionally treated once a quarter, and like the quoted post, never any issue. They just go along and treat with a very small, well-directed stream. Obviously, you remove any water bowls and the like, but it isn't as if there's this mist in the air or the house reeks of chemicals or anything like that.

Alternatively, you can try Orange Guard.

Orange Guard - Household Insect Control

We've used it with great success - as described in this thread

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...nt-work-2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs