U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 57,045 times

Advertisements

My four year old Newfoundland, Sable, has been sick for several weeks. First she just seemed lethargic and not herself. Then her nose became congested, her eyes were runny and she had a fever so I brought her to an emergency vet (it was a weekend). She was also drooling, which she doesn't normally do. The vet did a CBC and tested for tick bourne diseases. The CBC didn't indicate any problems and the tests were negative for the tick diseases. The emergency vet gave her a shot for nauseau, an anti-inflammatory and I can't remember what the third shot was for.
Two days later she wasn't any better so I brought her to my regular vet. He did an xray of her lungs because he was concerned about her nasal congestion and breathing. The xray was normal. He also noticed that one of her lymph nodes was swollen. She had lost a lot of weight. He put her on antibiotics (Simplicef).
After a week, she was still the same. I brought her back to my vet and he sedated her for an xray of her nasal cavity, flushed out her sinuses, did a biopsy of her lymph node and took a culture from her nose. The xray was normal. The fungal culture was negative and he didn't see anything unusual in the cells from her nose. The biopsy came back as an infected salivary gland, it wasn't the lymph node. She has stopped drooling. He put her on Orbax and Rimadyl. She still wasn't improving and started hanging her head low and panting a lot. She is spending this weekend at the vet's office and if she hasn't improved, I was thinking of having a CT scan done. I don't know why she isn't responding to the antibiotics. Has anyone gone through anything similar? What can this be? I know cancer is a possibility but what else could be going on? It's breaking my heart to see her not get any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 03:28 PM

8,191 posts, read 27,455,458 times
Cancer was the first thing that I thought of. Hoping it does not turn out to be that.

My second thought was that you need to see a different vet. Your current vet does not have any answers and it is time for a fresh set of eyes. Is there a teaching college near you? Vets schools are often better equipped and more up to date in their thinking than many vets.

Antibiotics will not have any effect on anything other than a bacterial infection. Rimadyl is a pain med. It sounds like the antibiotics were changed before the course was completed, which is not the right way to administer that type of med and can lead to resistant infections.

You said the vet did a biopsy on the lymph node. The result of that test would not have told that the salivary gland was infected, so I am not getting how that diagnosis was achieved.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 PM

She was given the Rimadyl due to the inflammation in her nose. I messed up in my original post. The xray of her nasal cavity showed inflammation on one side. My vet took a biopsy of what he thought was a swollen lymph node, but it turned out it wasn't the lymph node but the salivary gland. The salivary gland is infected. However, the salivary gland and the congestion in her nose aren't related. I don't know of any teaching college near me (northwestern NJ) but I could be wrong.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:39 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,129,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable's mom View Post
I don't know of any teaching college near me (northwestern NJ) but I could be wrong.
University of Pennsylvania?

I hope that answers are finally found. I know how frustrating it is to be running around, only finding out things that "it isn't". Best of luck to you.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:39 PM

Ryan-VHUP The is one of the very best in country. Part of University of PA.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:47 PM

Thank you!

Old 07-18-2010, 06:58 PM

501 posts, read 1,066,088 times
Haven't had exactly that combination of things - you must be worried sick.

We've had drooling, runny nose, then light congestion, even hiccuping, and eye mattering. It turned out to be an inflammed, infected tonsil - vet thought from a piece of grass or other matter getting suck there. Your vet has probably already looked at the tonsils, but throwing it out there just in case.

Another remote possibility - has your dog been anywhere near something like cheat grass? We have it here - the head of the grass when dry has hooks. If it gets hooked on skin or goes in the eye, mouth or nasal cavity, this nasty stuff can actually migrate to anywhere in the body, and cause an infection. Very hard to find the offending grass head once it has migrated. Out here, we all hate the stuff with a passion (if a horse eats it dry, same thing can happen or the cheats get stuck in their mouth and they hurt too much to eat).

I second the idea of a second opinion by a fresh set of eyes at this point. I've saved my dogs lives twice that way this past year, and once a long time ago with a young horse. With the horse, it actually took many more opinions before we took her to our local teaching college as a last gasp. Should have gone there sooner. The head vet spent hours searching research papers until he found a single paper describing the successful results of a different technique that had a shot at complete recovery for her injured leg, and contacted the only person in the nation who was familiar with that method of surgery at the time. The college and vet students were thrilled to get the guy who wrote their text books on ortho issues here so they could learn the technique; the expert surgeon was thrilled to get more practice; and I was thrilled that my horse no longer scheduled to be put down. And it had never occured to me to use a teaching college before this.

I hope you find the answer soon.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 07-18-2010 at 07:14 PM..

Old 07-24-2010, 11:58 AM

An update: Sable had a CT scan of her nose and an ultrasound of her abdomen. The ultrasound revealed a slightly rougher texture of her spleen and liver so they aspirated it. The aspiration showed nothing abnormal. The CT scan showed inflammation in her nose and a biopsy was taken. The biopsy didn't reveal anything more than inflammation. No cancer!!!! They still don't know for sure what's wrong with her but her appetite is back! She is feeling a little better too.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:32 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,978,326 times
Hi Sables Mom,
I'm glad that your baby is starting to feel better. Did you change vets?
I know it's tough but I agree with others that if your dog is ill and the vet isn't inspiring
confidence and appears to be guessing, change vets.
It's not reflection on their knowledge, you are just looking for someone who might
know what's going on.
I'm in NJ also so I would recommend calling Univ of Penn vet school or that great pet hospital
in NY, believes its simply called Animal Medical Center (they have over 80 vets).

Old 07-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Glad to hear that Sable is doing better.

I know how frustrating it can be when you don't get answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or