Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 05:56 PM

538 posts, read 385,393 times

Advertisements

I was advised years ago to feed our dogs grain free. Our Boston is 8 years old and has been in Blue Buffalo kibble since he we got him at 8 months. He does have a heart murmur (diagnosed at about 2 years old) and it’s only changed slightly this year (on a scale of 1 to 6 they graded it at a 2 when he was diagnosed and now closer to 3). Should we be changing his food? I will be checking with the vet. Our 1 year old dog we give Taste of the Wild which is even higher on the list for heart disease then Blue Buffalo. My husband switched him to Bravo freezed dried raw food per the trainers suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 06:45 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,551,825 times
Here's a link to the study, and the list of dog foods with the most problems:
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nu...ee-diet-alert/

From the article:
"...FDA’s July 2019 update on diet and canine heart disease, they examined labels of dog food products reported in DCM cases to determine whether the foods were “grain-free” (defined as no corn, soy, wheat, rice, barley or other grains), and whether the foods contained peas, lentils, chickpeas, beans, or potatoes (including sweet potatoes). Their report states that more than 90 percent of foods reported in DCM cases were grain-free, 93 percent of reported foods contained*peas and/or lentils, and 42 percent contained potatoes/sweet potatoes...."

* Worst offenders

Thanks for bringing up the topic Adrian.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:43 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,582,849 times
I do not know if it will help a dog that has had a murmur for a long time but when a dog is diagnosed with a heart murmur starting them on high doses of Ubiquinol can help. Chaos was diagnosed with a grade 2 murmur a few years ago and I started her on high dose ubiquinol and at her last check up the vet said had he not known that she had a murmur so listened extra long he would have missed it as it has improved that much. Dr Karen Becker has several videos about the use of high dose ubiquinol for heart murmurs and it was after watching one of them that I stared her on it. It is not cheap especially when you are doing high doses but neither are vets visits and cardiac medicines as I learned years ago with my first dog Maddie that developed a murmur s an old dog.

Here is a link of Dr Beckers talk about heart disease in dogs where she mentions the use of Ubiquinol. If you have a dog with heart disease or even breeds that are prone to it you might want to listen to it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZrvg8TCCT0

Last edited by Dashdog; 07-24-2019 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-17-2019, 10:38 PM

220 posts, read 133,531 times
I have heard that this test has not been proven only suspected. If all the foods that are on the list is really causing these dogs heart issues, what will happen to all of these locally owned stores (mostly) who carry these food products? I am somewhat worried because I am in the midst of switching my dog to one of these foods and really not sure what to do. The Vet does not approve as he told me and he told me the list has been proven. I am like confused what to do and I don't want to kill my dog either.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:48 PM

220 posts, read 133,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Here's a link to the study, and the list of dog foods with the most problems:
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nu...ee-diet-alert/

From the article:
"...FDA’s July 2019 update on diet and canine heart disease, they examined labels of dog food products reported in DCM cases to determine whether the foods were “grain-free” (defined as no corn, soy, wheat, rice, barley or other grains), and whether the foods contained peas, lentils, chickpeas, beans, or potatoes (including sweet potatoes). Their report states that more than 90 percent of foods reported in DCM cases were grain-free, 93 percent of reported foods contained*peas and/or lentils, and 42 percent contained potatoes/sweet potatoes...."

* Worst offenders

Thanks for bringing up the topic Adrian.

I just read the article, so apparently it has been proven. So maybe I should not be changing my dog to a grain free diet? If I go by the list of food brand I was given from the Vet, but there are ingredients in those foods that he tested positive on. Then again, I don't want to give him the Hydrolyzed Prescription food he told me he should be on either.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:16 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,489,814 times
Dr. Karen Becker DVM stays on top of the subject. Here is the most recent info:
https://healthypets.mercola.com/site...y-in-dogs.aspx

Old 08-19-2019, 08:20 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Dr. Karen Becker DVM stays on top of the subject. Here is the most recent info:
https://healthypets.mercola.com/site...y-in-dogs.aspx
Thank you for this article. I now have a new concern since we've been starving the dog for weight loss. Maybe I'll try the sardines.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:17 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Grain free is simply a fad.

You never saw grain-free pet foods 20 years ago.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:30 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,256,865 times
Cats are obligated carnivores: when's the last time you heard of lions eating rice or potatoes?
I can only speak for myself; every cat I've ever had that I switched to grain free is more satiated, more playful and energetic and not as nippy/biting and is generally happier. That's all I know. We do don't have a dog currently.
Your second and third tier pet stores (i.e., Chuck N Don's comes to mind) wouldn't be investing in growth of all these stores on a fad: plus they carry a mixture.
Experiment slowly and see what works best for your love bug. ��

Old 08-19-2019, 05:12 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,110,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Cats are obligated carnivores: when's the last time you heard of lions eating rice or potatoes?
I can only speak for myself; every cat I've ever had that I switched to grain free is more satiated, more playful and energetic and not as nippy/biting and is generally happier. That's all I know. . ��

The misconception is that "grain-free" is mostly protein. That is incorrect. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin and carrots are not considered "grains" and are in many grain-free foods. More importantly is the increase in legumes in these foods which reduce the presence of taurine in diets; which is what studies are tying to the heart disease in dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs