Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:36 PM

34 posts, read 94,308 times

Advertisements

I got a certificate for a free visit to a vet and since I was planning on taking my puppy anyway to have him check another issue out, I went to this vet. Anyway I had an appt, got there 20 minutes early, had everyone taken before me and got seen almost 2 hours later. The issue I brought him in for turned out to be nothing. The vet did find one issue. One of my puppy’s’ testicles has not dropped or he’s missing it. My dog is 4 months old, a toy poodle, so he said by now the testicle should have dropped. He said if I had bought my dog from a pet shop, he would deem it unfit for sale and to contact my breeder since this is a genetic deficit and try to get money back for the dog. He also said I can’t breed the dog or show him(I didn’t plan on doing either). He said if the testicle don’t drop, the price to neuter him will be more and it will have to be done because he can get cancer more easily.

He then made a huge deal that my puppy didn’t have the Lyme disease or Lepto vaccine. The last 5 in 1 shot he got did not include Lepto and from what I have heard and read many vets don’t even give the Lepto shot because of the severe reactions to it and some feel the dogs don’t need it. Apparently the clinic I went to doesn’t recommend the Lepto shot either. None of my other dogs had either one of these shots and never had a problem. He told me how the “pet store vet” I went to where my dog got all his booster shots from was only out for the money and the sale. I would think if they were out for the money they would be pushing every single vaccine there is on me. His recommendation is to wait 3 weeks, come back to him; if the testicle isn’t dropped have him neutered and also pay for the other 2 shots to be done. I read up on the testicle situation and although it’s rare, some dogs have had testicles drop at 7-8 months.

I don’t want my puppy to have to go through a much more evasive surgery, where they have to cut into his abdomen to remove the testicle if there’s the chance it could drop. He also recommends that every 6 months I get full blood work done, a urine analysis and fecal (sp) analysis. I’ve never heard of all this work every 6 months? My husband said he feels like this vet is just trying to make money, I think I kinda agree, and we should wait a few months, bring him to another vet, see if the testicle has dropped and schedule the neutering then. Any recommendations or advice on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 08:42 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,802 times
I would find a reputable vet in your area and get a second opinion. Your dog is only 4 months old too, so I would wait to even neuter him until he is at least 6 months, but I would find another vet to do that! Good luck. I don't have any other advice to give you on the situation but to get another opinion

Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
I have a terrier, saw him born and now he is almost five years old. Both testicles have not dropped. He is like any normal dog without any problems.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
There's a chance the testicle could drop in a month or 2 or 3, he's still very young but the vet is correct, that not neutering him can increase the odds of his getting cancer, I agree w/ you and your husband and would wait and see then. If he's exposed to a lot of dogs at a dog park or walked on the streets, I suppose he could get worms and a fecal might be a good idea but if he's not, having it done every 6 mos seems like overkill (same w/ the 6 month bloodwork and urinalysis but it's been a while since we've had a puppy but it does seem a bit much).

Old 07-24-2010, 10:20 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,495 times
My vet only does a fecal exam once a year. She also tests for heartworm once a year, before we restart their heartworm medicine. A complete blood work up every six months is overkill. My vet doesn't recommend blood work until they are seniors, and even then only once a year, or if they are sick and we can't find a reason for it.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
I admit it, when I read the title I thought, "My dog is missing both of his testicles!" Sorry for the hijack, you may resume with the topic!

Old 07-25-2010, 06:44 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,283 times
I would be looking for another Vet. After their puppy shots they only need to be seen once a year, routine check and blood work. I think four months is to young to tell weather both testicles are going to drop. Most of my males were closer to 6 months.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
I think I too would find a new vet. Ask Coworkers or others you know who their vet is and if they like them. I myself would look for a vet that is doing the less often vaccines and does not do the unnecessary ones. I know there are vets here that will do the Lyme but Lyme is not reaally a big issue here so it is not necessary. None of the local vets do the Corona vaccine as they feel the disease is not harmful enough to risk a vaccine yet 120 miles away my parents vets and many in that area insist on it! My dogs could not board down there because they do not have it which is silly. At the time I ran into this my vet said he did not even think there was a dose of that vaccine in the city!

A dog with a retained testicle is not an unfit dog unless you are planning to show or breed which you said you are not. Actually it can be a nice way to get a great pedigree dog that because of it is considered Pet quality so usually cheaper then show quality. My Dazzle was 8 months old when I got him and he still had a retained testicle so was sold to me as pet quality from his breeder. I knew about the issue before I got him. Had it not been for that he may have been a show quality dog as his over all confirmation is very good and he really is a great looking dog and has a fantastic temperment. I took him to a breed show I had breeders show alot of interest in him and some asked if he was male or female then ask if I was interested in breeding him.. Sorry not in his program folks!

My vet could not feel the testicle near the ring they have to pass through to drop down so we knew it would require surgery as yes a retained testicle can lead to cancer so it is best to get it out. The surgery is more expensive and a a bigger deal as they do have to be opened up and sometimes they have a hard time findng it. I was lucky as Dazzle's was located right away and his surgery was quick and he recovered fine. The hard part was keeping him from jumping around while he healed. But by all means go ahead and wait on the neuter a few months and see if it drops on its own.

Good luck finding a vet you like and feel you can trust. They are out there as I have one and know several others!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:07 PM

34 posts, read 94,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I think I too would find a new vet. Ask Coworkers or others you know who their vet is and if they like them. I myself would look for a vet that is doing the less often vaccines and does not do the unnecessary ones. I know there are vets here that will do the Lyme but Lyme is not reaally a big issue here so it is not necessary. None of the local vets do the Corona vaccine as they feel the disease is not harmful enough to risk a vaccine yet 120 miles away my parents vets and many in that area insist on it! My dogs could not board down there because they do not have it which is silly. At the time I ran into this my vet said he did not even think there was a dose of that vaccine in the city!

A dog with a retained testicle is not an unfit dog unless you are planning to show or breed which you said you are not. Actually it can be a nice way to get a great pedigree dog that because of it is considered Pet quality so usually cheaper then show quality. My Dazzle was 8 months old when I got him and he still had a retained testicle so was sold to me as pet quality from his breeder. I knew about the issue before I got him. Had it not been for that he may have been a show quality dog as his over all confirmation is very good and he really is a great looking dog and has a fantastic temperment. I took him to a breed show I had breeders show alot of interest in him and some asked if he was male or female then ask if I was interested in breeding him.. Sorry not in his program folks!

My vet could not feel the testicle near the ring they have to pass through to drop down so we knew it would require surgery as yes a retained testicle can lead to cancer so it is best to get it out. The surgery is more expensive and a a bigger deal as they do have to be opened up and sometimes they have a hard time findng it. I was lucky as Dazzle's was located right away and his surgery was quick and he recovered fine. The hard part was keeping him from jumping around while he healed. But by all means go ahead and wait on the neuter a few months and see if it drops on its own.

Good luck finding a vet you like and feel you can trust. They are out there as I have one and know several others!
Thanks for the info. Do you think I should contact my breeder and let them know about the issue? Should I wait a few months before I do this? Also, should I ask for money back for the dog? Like you said, I don't think it's that big of a deal but the vet made me feel like I was duped by my breeder since this is a genetic disorder passed down from either his father, grandfather or another male in his bloodline.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:34 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
If you no longer want the puppy, see if the breeder will take the puppy back and give you a refund.

I sold two litters of puppies. I had each puppy vet checked, wormed, claws removed before they went to their homes. One of my puppies had one testicle that hadn't dropped during his puppy check. I kept him and love him dearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs