Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:59 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I've always wondered...what do they point at?????
Whatever they want to show you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Whatever they want to show you!
So they can point at their dawgfood cans?...handy....or the girldawg in heat?

Old 07-29-2010, 03:15 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
My GF has been bugging me about getting a dog. Being a guy I like bigger dogs: rotts, boxers and her being female she likes fufu dogs. I see coyotes all the time on the inside of my gate. There are a ton of jack rabbits around so there's the reason.

Anyhow, how big does a dog have to be before it can safely defend itself from the coyotes?

Edit: I should add I'm on 1/2 acre and have no desire to keep the dog inside all day.
The problem is that coyotes run in little gangs and they fight to kill. Dogs tend to be soft by comparison and they tend to live by rules. If you have dense coyotes, you can't safely leave a dog outside unattended regardless of breed.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:26 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I've always wondered...what do they point at?????
They're bird dogs. Once the bird has been shot, they'll track it down and alert the owner to where it is by pointing.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
They're bird dogs. Once the bird has been shot, they'll track it down and alert the owner to where it is by pointing.
Close. The owner turns the dog loose in a field where he/she suspects there are quail, pheasant, chukar or whatever particular ground bird they are looking for and the dog alerts the owner to where the live, un-shot birds are by pointing, then you can go shoot the birds.

YouTube - South Texas Wild Quail 2009

Pretty good depiction of an English Pointer, well, pointing...

Old 07-29-2010, 08:21 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The problem is that coyotes run in little gangs and they fight to kill. Dogs tend to be soft by comparison and they tend to live by rules. If you have dense coyotes, you can't safely leave a dog outside unattended regardless of breed.
Not in this part of the world. Run in pairs but not in packs.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Not in this part of the world. Run in pairs but not in packs.
They also probably don't get bigger than about 30 pounds out in the desert. You're right, it's different in your part of the world. You've heard the coyotes yapping at night, yes? Two animals?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:33 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
A friend of mine lives on about 13 acres in rural KY. Coyotes have started to become a big problem in the area, they've seen packs of them. His great dane (150+lbs of muscle but older and not as agile as it used to be) and pit bull (50lbs but young and athletic) saw a pack of them and took off after them. That night, the pit bull came back and dropped a coyote leg in the driveway. He had scars on his face from the ordeal. The next morning, they searched more for the dane and found his body mutilated about 1/2 mile away. Moral of the story, I don't think it matters if a pack of coyotes attacks a dog, it can take down any size.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:15 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
They also probably don't get bigger than about 30 pounds out in the desert. You're right, it's different in your part of the world. You've heard the coyotes yapping at night, yes? Two animals?
Nope...I have often wondered about that. I have however seen a few dozen over the years as we live near rather open desert and the foothills of the spring mountains. You often see them prowling the roads or the trails in the desert just at dawn. Kept a sharp eye as I generally had my dog who would not be a match for a coyote anymore a pair.

Coyotes here are listed at a mean weight just below 20 lbs. I have seen one large female that was close to thirty...that one was actually blocking the road just past the gate at a very fancy development. Looked us over and then vanished down a golf course culvert.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
I have not read past the first page, this thread kind of disturbed me. Since the OP wants to keep the dog outside much of the day, plus the fact that there are coyotes, I don't think a dog is the best pet for you. Why would you want to keep the dog outside? A bored dog will bark endlessly, and since your lot is small, I'm betting that will annoy your neighbors. Not to mention the elements-- do you have a warm/cool, dry place for your dog outside, with fresh water available at all times if you are going to keep it outside?

And I just reread your first post, "being female she likes fufu dogs". WTH? Why would you think all women like "fufu" dogs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs