Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

"During the initial investigation, it appeared the off-duty federal officer was legally authorized to carry a firearm, but during the follow-up investigation that became questionable."

This would depend on the off-duty officer's status and how it relates to H.R. 218 (federal law passed in 2004 allowing off-duty law enforcement to carry concealed weapons in states forbidding concealed carry).

Again, I suspect the facts will eventually come out as the investigation concludes and if/when charges are filed. Until that time there are rumors and speculation and very few "facts".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 12:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
"During the initial investigation, it appeared the off-duty federal officer was legally authorized to carry a firearm, but during the follow-up investigation that became questionable."

This would depend on the off-duty officer's status and how it relates to H.R. 218 (federal law passed in 2004 allowing off-duty law enforcement to carry concealed weapons in states forbidding concealed carry).

Again, I suspect the facts will eventually come out as the investigation concludes and if/when charges are filed. Until that time there are rumors and speculation and very few "facts".
and i hope that they are publicized as heavily as the initial stories, rumor and speculation.......

Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
From the original link:
Quote:
"Quail Run neighbors and people who knew Bear-Bear described the dog as playful and affectionate — never aggressive. The Rettaliatas adopted the dog about two years ago from a husky rescue called Tails of the Tundra."
Oh, that's so sad! I know Tails of the Tundra. I'm a Sibe-owner and have been following their website (and sending the occasional donation) for years. They're a Sibe-rescue group that finds homes for dogs in the MD, PA, DE, NY areas. I'm sure they're devastated to learn of Bear-Bear's loss, and my heart really goes out to his family.

Okay...now back to your (mispaced) "Great Debates"-style smackdown over gun-rights, concealed carry, yada-yada....

Old 08-18-2010, 07:46 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
It appears the Anne Arundel County State's Attorney's Office will be filing charges against Keith Shepherd for shooting Bear Bear. They will be charging him with two misdemeanors. 1 charge of animal cruelty and another of discharging a firearm within 100yds of an occupied structure.

The charges seem fairly weak to me but I guess it's better than the shooter skating away with no repercussions.

There's more information available here; Charges To Be Filed In Shooting Of Bear Bear - WBAL Radio - wbal.com

Old 08-18-2010, 09:51 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
It appears the Anne Arundel County State's Attorney's Office will be filing charges against Keith Shepherd for shooting Bear Bear. They will be charging him with two misdemeanors. 1 charge of animal cruelty and another of discharging a firearm within 100yds of an occupied structure.

The charges seem fairly weak to me but I guess it's better than the shooter skating away with no repercussions.

There's more information available here; Charges To Be Filed In Shooting Of Bear Bear - WBAL Radio - wbal.com
good!! it's a start, at least......

Old 08-18-2010, 10:31 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
good!! it's a start, at least......
True, something is better than nothing.

As of 8/6 he was on administrative leave from his job. No idea if it was paid leave or not. I couldn't find any other details as to his current employment status but there's a good chance he'll remain on administrative leave pending the outcome of his trial.

With any luck his time working in law enforcement will be over.

I'd still like to see them going after stiffer penalties as in my opinion his act was unconscionable. Sadly it seems the charges they're pursuing are the maximum under current Maryland law.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 AM

298 posts, read 998,652 times
I live in Anne Arundel county and the newspaper here says that Shepherd is on "paid" administrative leave. One good thing is that our county executive is now pushing for a change in the animal cruelty law so that it will be a felony instead of a misdemeanor.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:27 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Yes, the charges are midemeanors, but something is better than nothing. Thanks for posting the update.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:53 PM

298 posts, read 998,652 times
Update: This case was tried today in court. Bear Bear's murderer found guilty of all charges. $500 fine for animal cruelty and $1000 fine for firing his gun within 100 feet of homes, 1 year probation and 8 hours of community service. I know its not much for the loss of a beloved pet but he was found "Guilty".

Old 11-20-2010, 05:37 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Thats good to hear, thanks for the update. Hopefully the idiot learned something from this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs