Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 PM

10 posts, read 21,006 times

Advertisements

I think my puppy has food allergies because he scratches alot and and it seems to bother him at times.The thing is that he has normal stool for a puppy and has no redness on his coat anywhere. he is really smart and a happy-go lucky kind of fella.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:10 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandmusiclover View Post
I think my puppy has food allergies because he scratches alot and and it seems to bother him at times.The thing is that he has normal stool for a puppy and has no redness on his coat anywhere. he is really smart and a happy-go lucky kind of fella.
Did this suddenly occur? How old is puppy, and how long have you had him? What food are you feeding?

When you say redness on his coat, do you actually mean on his skin?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:35 PM

Well i have had him for a couple of weeks and its been little here and there. Seems to be more bothersome at certain times but still not a major inconvenience to him though. He is about 3 1/2 months and he is a texas heeler (australian cattle dog and austalian shepherd mix). Oh and i meant there was no redness on his skin at all....i check him regularly. im thinking it may be mosquitos or something but i have put flea and tick repellant on him and i have a flea and tick collar on him now.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
I'd think if it were a food allergy it would be fairly constant unless you're altering his diet frequently.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:47 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
I'd remove that flea and tick collar, see if the itching stops.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Does it happen more when he has been outside in Grass as grass allergies can be a big problem this time of year. Dazzles first year he got itchy anytime we went out into the grass. I tried switching foods just incase of a food allergy but it did not help nor did antihistamines. I went back to his old food upped his fish oils and his Missing Link supplement and this year he has been OK even out in the grass. He just turned two so I am hoping the increased Omega Oils and a more mature immune system are the reason he seems to be Ok this year.

For some animals even the bite of one flea can cause problems as I use to have a cat that if she got one flea bite she would get itchy and develop skin problems so had to be very proactive about flea control.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandmusiclover View Post
i have put flea and tick repellant on him and i have a flea and tick collar on him now.
If you put a topical flea and tick repellent on him, you should not also have a flea and tick collar on him. What kind of flea and tick repellent did you use? Some are better than others. Getting rid of fleas can be very difficult, our 3 month old puppy STILL has fleas, despite Revolution and Frontline Plus, as well as flea baths. Our flea situation is improving, though. Do you see your puppy biting as well as scratching?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 AM

[quote]
Does it happen more when he has been outside in Grass as grass allergies can be a big problem this time of year.[quote]
well that could be possible about the grass because he does seem to be less bothered while indoors. but we are both outdoors quite abit though.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:31 AM

well i also put the flea collar on him because i used this bogus brand of flea repellant adams.. at least some friends of mine said it was bogus. i did find out that the previous owner had the dog on ole roy and we all know that that may as well be a "bag-o-rocks"

Old 08-09-2010, 03:07 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I bet it's fleas. Have you taken the puppy to the vet yet? You can either get a topical OTC flea med like Frontline Plus, or get a prescription from your vet for something like Revolution. The vet will be able to look at your puppy and see if it's fleas or it's an allergy. Whatever you do, don't buy those cheap flea meds like Bio Spot, or anything Hartz makes. They don't work, and they have proved very harmful to pets. You might also have to treat your house, because fleas will lay eggs in places like carpeting, and then you'll really have a mess on your hands. Vacuum daily, and be sure to treat your pup for fleas with a real flea product. You need something that is going to kill those eggs. The fleas in my area are very resistant to flea products, I hope you have better luck than I do in eliminating them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs